You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

monkeychow wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:

I don't doubt that he can still get funding to release something -- but funding to flame message boards and watch cartoons in a studio for 17 years with no accountability or restraint?

Umm....does it take funding to watch cartoons or go on a message board? I think his royalties from previous releases would cover those activities for thousands of years!

Also...let's not get negative about the chats....I just had a re-read of the chat transcript thread....and it was pretty damn cool for axl to be interacting with fans 1 on 1 like that. Sure maybe he said some negative stuff about Slash and to a poster or two who he disagreed with, but overall, the chats were a great way for us to connect with him and learn his thoughts about a whole range of issues.

Given he has music in development that wasn't released, I also don't think that the timeframe or costs would need to be as extreme as they were for the making of CD. Not saying it would be fast or cheap either, but it wouldnt have to be in the millions and decades.

mygnrsucks wrote:

Axl barely released the album under those circumstances, what makes you think that he'd release something other than the Chinese Democracy B sides in the future?

Why was it "barely" released? You mean the wait or the lack of promo or what?

As for the B-Sides remark. Well, are "You could be mine" and "November Rain" the B-sides of AFD? They date from that era but were held over for future work. Likewise there could be good songs on a future CD2 album that were held over until axl was done with them.

mygnrsucks wrote:

Believe me, a lot of the sales of the disc were to people who had been waiting for that album since puberty. Curiosity and mythos surrounding Taiwanese Sovereignty will be much, much less, and therefore, will not sell nearly as much.

Yeah sure, you might be right about that. But the GNR brand will always secure a certain amount of sales due to it's past successes. And I'm sure he could always match midrange artists in rock, like A7x and Buckcherry without even really doing much. Sure UYI style domance would be a different story, but i'm just saying...future music is still possible oneday.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Purely out of curiosity, and the mythic status Chinese Democracy took on over the years.

Another new GN'R release would need massive promo on Axl's part, just to equal CD's sales...

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

A GNR album sells a certain amount of  copies. Regardless of what it sounds like. It is most likely a lot less than Chinese Democracy, but there is a red line somewhere. A number of copies guaranteed. GNR would match Buckcherry, Motley Crue and those likes. Just not anything more than that.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I was checking the global sales figures for Lily Allen's latest album, and for shits and giggles decided to take another peak at the top selling albums of 2008, and it's obvious they crunched the numbers again because Chinese Democracy(and a few other albums) had a noticeable drop.

Guns n' Roses - Chinese Democracy
Geffen / Interscope - 1.6 million copies

http://www.mediatraffic.de/year-end-albums.htm

CD went from being in the top 20 down to 35. That's also a much lower number than the 3 to 5 million that certain people used to try and preach as the gospel, and they used to get that 3 mil figure from that EXACT site.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

AtariLegend wrote:

Those are the figures from one months worth of sales, probably right.

...But then in Feb. "Rolling Stone" said 2.5 million worldwide.

Then the "Rock Band" press release in April or June afterwards said 3 millon world wide.

Everytime we have this argument, the idea that some people might have bought the album in the past 9 months gets ignored.

AtariLegend wrote:

By the way, on the all time charts, the sales from "Appetite For Destruction" and "Thriller" are estimates from 1997 on that site.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Those are the figures from one months worth of sales, probably right.

...But then in Feb. "Rolling Stone" said 2.5 million worldwide.

Then the "Rock Band" press release in April or June afterwards said 3 millon world wide.

Everytime we have this argument, the idea that some people might have bought the album in the past 9 months gets ignored.

The reason it gets "ignored" is because the album sold the majority of its sales that first month.

There has always been something fishy about these global sales numbers, I will agree. However, this site was used to make the case for a smashing success and we are no longer seeing that on this site.

Are you trying to tell me this album saw a 50% increase in sales after ALL promotion came to a screeching halt?

By the way, on the all time charts, the sales from "Appetite For Destruction" and "Thriller" are estimates from 1997 on that site.

Translation....

The site was good enough to post links to as proof during the initial CD wave, but now that a possible recount occurred, it needs to be discredited. 16

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

erm, James, that chart is only tracking sales from January 12, 2008 to January 10, 2009. That's only counting CD's sales for the first 2 months of its release.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

nice find monkey....not happy with most of the artists above gnr though 16

Board footer