You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

erm, James, that chart is only tracking sales from January 12, 2008 to January 10, 2009. That's only counting CD's sales for the first 2 months of its release.

That's the point. It was in the top 20 during that same time frame. I remember people running around with that same link from forum to forum saying it was one of the top sellers of 2008. It dropped more than fifteen spots on the same list.

monkeychow, that list is a riot. Funnier than the one I posted. They need bean counters that aren't vision impaired. They actually had the nerve to place Taylor Swift below GNR.

These are actually great examples of why most people only pay attention to Billboard charts and success rides on what happens on that chart. Each legitimate global chart is different and some don't even have the nerve to show you how much each album sold.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

YEah it's strange how much different data is around...i'm not posting it to be a nutswinger - but if the IFPI says it went platinum in europe I tend to believe them.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Surely Global Sales is more important than just US sales?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

^^

Never in a million years.

US sales make or break music acts in the business, especially an 'American' artist.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

BS

sales = money.
why wouldn't global sales be equal to US sales?

They wouldn't sell the album globally if their money wasn't any good.

If this trend continues gnr will just start catering to this market.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

It's not BS

What you answered was not the question proposed.

It was "are global sales MORE IMPORTANT than US"

And they are not. Never have been. Never will be.

Global sales are important, but not more than US, especially for an American artist.

If you're Queen... it's not a big deal to be an English band, huge in Europe and the rest of the world, and so-so in America... GN'R... the reverse situation.

war

war wrote:

i wasn't responding to the question - i was responding to your response to the question - i read the question just fine.

you said us sales make or break american artists

that's.....................

war wrote:

BS

sales = money.
why wouldn't global sales be equal to US sales?

They wouldn't sell the album globally if their money wasn't any good.

If this trend continues gnr will just start catering to this market

Sky Dog wrote:

US accounts for approximately 40% of world album sales.....so we should just disregard the other 60%? Come on. Gnr has sold approximately 100 million worlwide....43.5 in the US. So you are going to tell me Geffen doesn't care about the other 57 million records sold????!!!!! Yes, it is important for US artists to do well in the US. However, there is a ton of money for Gnr to be made overseas in sales and touring.....even new Gnr. Sometimes you have to be happy with what you have.

war

war wrote:

it all spends the same

Sky Dog wrote:

Geffen and Axl don't give a flying fuck where the cd's go as along as someone is buying them.

Board footer