You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Re: Jason Lives: FRIDAY THE 13TH

Von wrote:

It wasn't to slight you, but I was in the process of closing that thread when you posted and quite frankly everything you said had been answered in my closing post. I actually tried to move your post to this thread with (obviously) little success. Feel free to post it again in here.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think it's a jaw-dropper that Part IV didn't make the final two.

With that said, if someone asked me fan's overall opinions, subtract Part IV, I would say THEY would think the superior films are Part II & III, which is basically the first initial 'Jason' films, and usually the beginning is the best for most franchise. It's weird for me, because i'm sympathetic to the later films.

My top-3...

Part IV
Part VI
Part VIII

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Damn, had i voted, part III would've won

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Obviously, Round I is missing from the archives. Lost to time. In any event, I hope the new format for these old threads spurs some interesting discussion.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

So i Finally saw this today.

I'm mixed on it.

It's interesting how its a partial reboot but also clearly a sequal. As has been said earlier in the thread. It's a little confused in that regard.

Hidden Text:

For example the origin of the mask suggests this is kind of a reboot/origin story showing how the killings went from being the mother to jason and how he got the look we are familiar with, yet the hermit woman in the woods clearly implies locals know how to avoid him and so on, implying at least some of the murders in the later movies have occured.

. Overall for a modernisation I thought it was pretty good in that they kept the elements of jason's character that we're accustomed to - like they didn't give him any really bizzare new traits (contrast with say the psycho remake

Hidden Text:

that featured Norman masturbating to the peephole. prior to the shower scene. While that was consistant with the idea that his attraction to the girls caused his mother personality to be upset, many fans felt it modified the characer. So i'm glad they didn't give jason some kind of new pathology.

and I also enjoyed that they sort of kept some of the traditional Friday elements

Hidden Text:

such as the innocent characters tending to survive longer, and the idea of the film as a moral commentary against sex, drug use etc. Not that I agree with that - but its nice it took the forumula of punishing them the way it would have in the 70s or 80s

even if some of those elements were handled in a some what unbelivable way. I agree with james concern about plotholes in the script...

Hidden Text:

The way Trent's GF and other characters do not react to his infidelity is bad. And I also think the dynamics amongst the group of 'friends' could have been improved. Perhaps clearer motivation for them all to be hanging out when they're clearly very different personalities would have improved the script a lot.

So there were some wasted opturnities and some things that could have been done better. That said...I definately enjoyed the film - and as a casual fan of the other films - i've seen them all - but only once or twice each - I found it enjoyable and while not without its issues - I didn't think it was particularly sub-par compared to a lot of the other entries in the franchise. I'd call this watchable and acceptable...just with a few annoying mistakes and not as cool as it could have been. But it also could have been fucked up a lot worse IMO.

Board footer