You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Rob Zombie's Halloween 2

James wrote:

Not fond of how this turned out. I am gonna watch it regardless, but it is clearly a clusterfuck and is possibly a franchise killer. May not kill it completely, but will definitely send the franchise into a lengthy coma.

I'm actually looking forward to FD4 more than this.

Those scenes with his wife sound like "drop popcorn on the floor and walk out of theater" material.

James

James wrote:

Oh, and you were right on the money about this film's promo. It should be everywhere this close, and there's barely a peep.

FD4 is gonna slaughter it at the Box Office.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed. Everytime I flip on the TV, for the last week, I see spots for FD4 running, constantly, with the big disclaimer "in 3D!".

Halloween II... i've seen one spot, and that's after hours of viewing AND only a few days away from the film's release. New Line is pimping FD4 harder AND has the 3D gimmick... it'll kick H2's ass.

Best case scenario for H2, is 1989 revisted. Friday The 13th Part VIII & Nightmare on Elm Street 5 went head to head... the audiences split. Half went to one, the other half to the other, and both films had lukewarm-to-negative reactions at the BO. There's a chance that could happen here.

I just don't know. It bothers me, because it'll be the first Halloween film i've skipped in a long time (at one time it was my fav franchise). But other than H2O, they've frankly all sucked since H6, with H-2007 being 'so-so'. After those last few films AND the fact F13-2009 was another 'so-so' film... I just don't know if it's even worth the money to go see it anymore. Just something you buy/rent/DL when it hits home video.

As for the film's success, they're at least done with Zombie imo. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Malek Akkad recruits Marcus Nispel (dear God) to direct the new H3, seeing Nispel's success at both TCM2003 & F13-2009. Normally i'd cringe, but at this point, anything is better than Zombie, and at least Nispel would probably pay more respect to the old franchise.

All of the Halloween fans holding out for a revival of the old franchise, and a traditional Halloween 9... seriously... was Halloween 8 all that good?

Another option could be Akkad taking his chips and cashing them in over at the house of New Line, which has the TCM, F13, NOES... and has produced them all with relative success, although the NOES remake is TBD.

But just "end". Outright? No way. Dimension Home Video would start producing DTV Michael films, just like with Hellraiser, before they send that cash cow out to pasture.

James

James wrote:

Yeah they can continue the franchise, but some time will need to lapse between clusterfuck and sequel/reboot.

Not fond of that Nispel idea either, but yeah it is definitely better than Zombie. Even if I wind up liking this film, its time for the post Zombie era of this franchise to begin.

Been lurking at a few horror sites, and apparently some think the ending leaves it open to interpretation that the whole film but the final scene is a dream/hallucination. If true, Zombie needs to be blacklisted. You don't use those types of twists in slasher flicks. Its certainly believable as the entire hospital sequence is apparently a dream as well.

I can see why some are leaning in that direction. This pic is popping up(apparently from the film's ending sequence), and they are morons for even using such pics in the lead up to release....

3313jop.jpg

Halloween 2: White Trash Fight Club

Halloween 3: Hillbilly Sixth Sense

Someone put this franchise out of its misery.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

There's only one franchise you can get away with it... Phantasm.

That's it. Only with The Tall Man can you pull the "is it a dream? is it not?" stuff.

But when you're the 10th film in a franchise, there's some rules you have to follow. Zombie making it "was it a dream?" (if that's the case), would be no different than Chris Nolan alluding to it all being a dream in the next Batman flick.

If that's the case, totally agree. Stupid ass move. You just can't pull that bullshit on movie screens. TV gets away with it, because you know the characters will be back there next week doing their regular stuff, but with movies...

He just might've buried this franchise forever.

James

James wrote:

Apparently I am the only person here that watched this. I envy you guys. 14 I wish I had watched FD4 instead, although I'm gonna go see that later this week. I had planned on writing a pretty lengthy, in depth review like I did with the last Halloween, but I just cant bring myself to do it. This film wasn't even interesting. Had the film lasted any longer, I would have walked out, and I saw 5 people walk out during the film. Apparently this is happening everywhere, so while this film might make a lot of money first week, its gonna free fall with word of mouth spreading.

While I wont go in too much depth, I'll wrap my complaints up in spoiler tags....

Hidden Text:

Yes, this film most certainly kills this franchise. Not Halloween itself, but definitely the Zombie story line. There's just nowhere left for it to go, which I find absolutely hilarious. This guy's total lack of ideas caused him to box himself in on the second film.

While I am no Halloween nutswinger, to not use the theme during the opening or in places throughout the film is just pure idiocy. This glaring omission clues you in early on that this is a Halloween film in name only.

The hospital sequence is pretty intense. Its a shame this is only a hallucination. Zombie apparently didn't realize that the whole film should have had a similar vibe. Instead this sequence sticks out and is clearly only there as an ode to the original Halloween 2. If that worries you, fasten your seatbelts. You already know he has no ideas, so more odes are to come.

I absolutely loathe Laurie. I wouldn't piss on her if she was on fire. She is the main character. When you detest who you are supposed to sympathize with, its a sign this steaming turd should have been locked in the vault. Her party girl vibe and complete 180 in personality just turns me off.

"I love you, Michael".

REALLY??

This guy recently murdered your mom, dad, and ALL your friends......and now you love him?

I almost walked out then and there. Wish I did, although it was pretty much over anyways at that point.

If Zombie was gonna dumb us down like this, I wish a "switcheroo" had taken place and Annie become the main character. Not sure how he could have pulled this off, but Annie is genuinely likable even though the role isn't large. She's not that affected by all the carnage either, but definitely takes it harder than Laurie did. Also like how she seemed to develop a tad bit of agoraphobia. Annie and Sheriff Brackett should have been the centerpiece of the film. When you watch this, you'll feel the same thing.

She should NOT have been killed. Her scene is actually quite emotional as her death isn't as 'in your face' as other kills in the film. I guess her death works in that aspect, but this character could have easily went on to another sequel.

Drum roll please.....

Loomis dies. Yeah, Michael's main villain is now taking a dirt nap in the second film, and he aint coming back. At this point, it started running through my head that some of these scenes were reshoots with Dimension wanting Zombie to wrap up his storyline. Both Loomis and Michael die in this, so SOMEBODY wants this put out of its misery. When you're thinking about studio politics while watching a movie, it's a bad sign. 16 Loomis didn't even need to be in this movie. He stand out too much. he's basically a pompous asshole that doesn't care about anything, then he acts like he cares for a nanosecond just so he can get killed. Idiotic. He should have remained dead in the first film.

It doesn't surprise me though. This is Halloween in name only, it was obvious the film was going nowhere, so you might as well just kill everybody.

Anyone remember how Zombie said he hated the sequels and only liked the original?  Pop quiz dumb ass.....

Why was your workprint an homage to Halloween 4, and why is this film so heavily influenced by 4/5? I'm starting to wonder if you've even watched the original.

Having a psychic connection between Laurie/Michael is just idiotic. This barely worked in H5, and did so because it wasn't completely shoved in our faces. The dream/vision sequences are laughable, as they wouldn't have identical visions even if there was a connection.

These visions start almost immediately(after a kill), and they kill any type of flow the film could have had. I don't need to see Zombie's wife every so many minutes, and THAT is exactly what she is.... Zombie's wife. She's not even a character. He really needs to stop using her.

Laurie putting on the mask was a BAD idea. It works at the ending of 4 because you didn't expect it and a child in that situation is eerie. Here its just comical.

This film should have been more of a psychological horror film.I think it should have been right after the carnage of the first film and showed Laurie and Annie trying to get their lives on track. Then have the third act be Michael coming back to finish what he started.

Scratch that, Makes too much sense and would have required an idea from Zombie.

Why is every other word "fuck"? How on God's green earth did Zombie ever get a job in this industry? He must give a mean blowjob.

I've seen other people say it, and I'm gonna say it as well....

This film is closer to a Friday the 13th than Halloween. Only thing I sorta liked was some of the kills. He goes into overkill mode with the knife, which is believable from this specific version of Michael.

There's no method to the madness here. He seemingly picks random people to kill, which isn't really Michael's MO.

The pic above is a spoiler of sorts. Its the ending of the film, and while I do NOT think it was all a hallucination, I can see why its sort of left open as such. Just in case they decide to do another sequel to this storyline they can use the "it was all a dream" excuse.

Oh, and seeing Michael's face didn't really bother me. There are so many other flaws with this film, that is the least of the problems. I wouldn't have showed it though.

I am now boycotting this series until Dimension hires someone with talent. I am no longer contributing to the success of these steaming turds created by hacks. If horror fans don't stop supporting this stuff, we're gonna enter another dark age of horror. I am also boycotting all Zombie films from this point forward as its obvious even to Helen Keller's ghost that this guy is a one trick pony, and that trick isn't even creative.

Halloween 2

2/10

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'll wrap my complaints up in spoiler tags....

Hidden Text:

Yes, this film most certainly kills this franchise. Not Halloween itself, but definitely the Zombie story line. There's just nowhere left for it to go, which I find absolutely hilarious. This guy's total lack of ideas caused him to box himself in on the second film.

While I am no Halloween nutswinger, to not use the theme during the opening or in places throughout the film is just pure idiocy. This glaring omission clues you in early on that this is a Halloween film in name only.

The hospital sequence is pretty intense. Its a shame this is only a hallucination. Zombie apparently didn't realize that the whole film should have had a similar vibe. Instead this sequence sticks out and is clearly only there as an ode to the original Halloween 2. If that worries you, fasten your seatbelts. You already know he has no ideas, so more odes are to come.

I absolutely loathe Laurie. I wouldn't piss on her if she was on fire. She is the main character. When you detest who you are supposed to sympathize with, its a sign this steaming turd should have been locked in the vault. Her party girl vibe and complete 180 in personality just turns me off.

"I love you, Michael".

REALLY??

This guy recently murdered your mom, dad, and ALL your friends......and now you love him?

I almost walked out then and there. Wish I did, although it was pretty much over anyways at that point.

If Zombie was gonna dumb us down like this, I wish a "switcheroo" had taken place and Annie become the main character. Not sure how he could have pulled this off, but Annie is genuinely likable even though the role isn't large. She's not that affected by all the carnage either, but definitely takes it harder than Laurie did. Also like how she seemed to develop a tad bit of agoraphobia. Annie and Sheriff Brackett should have been the centerpiece of the film. When you watch this, you'll feel the same thing.

She should NOT have been killed. Her scene is actually quite emotional as her death isn't as 'in your face' as other kills in the film. I guess her death works in that aspect, but this character could have easily went on to another sequel.

Drum roll please.....

Loomis dies. Yeah, Michael's main villain is now taking a dirt nap in the second film, and he aint coming back. At this point, it started running through my head that some of these scenes were reshoots with Dimension wanting Zombie to wrap up his storyline. Both Loomis and Michael die in this, so SOMEBODY wants this put out of its misery. When you're thinking about studio politics while watching a movie, it's a bad sign. 16 Loomis didn't even need to be in this movie. He stand out too much. he's basically a pompous asshole that doesn't care about anything, then he acts like he cares for a nanosecond just so he can get killed. Idiotic. He should have remained dead in the first film.

It doesn't surprise me though. This is Halloween in name only, it was obvious the film was going nowhere, so you might as well just kill everybody.

Anyone remember how Zombie said he hated the sequels and only liked the original?  Pop quiz dumb ass.....

Why was your workprint an homage to Halloween 4, and why is this film so heavily influenced by 4/5? I'm starting to wonder if you've even watched the original.

Having a psychic connection between Laurie/Michael is just idiotic. This barely worked in H5, and did so because it wasn't completely shoved in our faces. The dream/vision sequences are laughable, as they wouldn't have identical visions even if there was a connection.

These visions start almost immediately(after a kill), and they kill any type of flow the film could have had. I don't need to see Zombie's wife every so many minutes, and THAT is exactly what she is.... Zombie's wife. She's not even a character. He really needs to stop using her.

Laurie putting on the mask was a BAD idea. It works at the ending of 4 because you didn't expect it and a child in that situation is eerie. Here its just comical.

This film should have been more of a psychological horror film.I think it should have been right after the carnage of the first film and showed Laurie and Annie trying to get their lives on track. Then have the third act be Michael coming back to finish what he started.

Scratch that, Makes too much sense and would have required an idea from Zombie.

Why is every other word "fuck"? How on God's green earth did Zombie ever get a job in this industry? He must give a mean blowjob.

I've seen other people say it, and I'm gonna say it as well....

This film is closer to a Friday the 13th than Halloween. Only thing I sorta liked was some of the kills. He goes into overkill mode with the knife, which is believable from this specific version of Michael.

There's no method to the madness here. He seemingly picks random people to kill, which isn't really Michael's MO.

The pic above is a spoiler of sorts. Its the ending of the film, and while I do NOT think it was all a hallucination, I can see why its sort of left open as such. Just in case they decide to do another sequel to this storyline they can use the "it was all a dream" excuse.

Oh, and seeing Michael's face didn't really bother me. There are so many other flaws with this film, that is the least of the problems. I wouldn't have showed it though.

I am now boycotting this series until Dimension hires someone with talent. I am no longer contributing to the success of these steaming turds created by hacks. If horror fans don't stop supporting this stuff, we're gonna enter another dark age of horror. I am also boycotting all Zombie films from this point forward as its obvious even to Helen Keller's ghost that this guy is a one trick pony, and that trick isn't even creative.

Halloween 2

2/10

Is that all....?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

AtariLegend wrote:
russtcb wrote:

My brother wanted badly for me to go see this with him today and I just couldn't find the time.

I'm guessing that was a good choice.

I'm pretty sure Lofton had several complaints about the quality of "The Dark Knight" as well 16.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer