You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Rob Zombie's Halloween 2

James wrote:

Its widely known I don't like superhero flicks. I am a horror junkie. Surely when reading my reviews you can differentiate between the two.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I am on James's side: fuck superhero movies.

My buddy reviewed this on my site, looks to be more Zombie babble, albeit he makes a very poor decision by spoon feeding to the audience the metaphorical meanings of the movie, it seems. What the hell?

http://www.oh-the-horror.com/page.php?id=545

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I thought it was decent. I didnt love it, but then again, I didnt hate it. I can see some of the complaints though.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Brett wrote:

I am on James's side: fuck superhero movies.

My buddy reviewed this on my site, looks to be more Zombie babble, albeit he makes a very poor decision by spoon feeding to the audience the metaphorical meanings of the movie, it seems. What the hell?

http://www.oh-the-horror.com/page.php?id=545

That's a pretty spot on review, although I disagree that it's a good slasher flick. Yeah the kills aren't bad, but its too much of a jumbled mess to be considered a good slasher.

This is up there with the F13 remake in the 'epic fail' department.

I guarantee one thing.....

When the backlash to remakes/sequels eventually happens, you can bet your ass a Zombie film will be what starts it. All Zombie ever achieves is insulting the intelligence of the audience, and people are eventually going to get sick of it.

What's sad about the Zombie clusterfuck of this franchise is so much could have been done with it. Instead it fizzles out by film two which is gonna either require a fresh reboot in the series, or maybe even pumping out sequels to the original series.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Along with James, almost all reviews coming out are overwhelmingly negative, and i'm talking horror sites, not just the bigger ones.

I'm gonna skip this, and try to just download it, to see the mess it became, but I ain't gonna give Zombie my money.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The industry scuttlebutt is that Zombie originally signed on to Halloween to gain a release outlet through the Weinstein company for his animation project, El Superbeasto. Then the animation got delayed again, but Zombie was still contractually obligated for a Halloween sequel (which basically means the Weinsteins were able to pull his leash to come down and get to it after others had failed).

A recent article on H2 is rather.... unsettling.

Just when he thought he was out, however, Zombie found himself lured back in to salvage a troubled production. "Halloween II," written and directed by Zombie, opens Friday. ... He signed on to write a new script from scratch last December and hustled to get the picture completed in time for summer.

...The movie was unfinished even as the studio launched its marketing campaign. There were frequent rewrites on set and the movie may be cut in a way that veers away from the original plot line, according to Dourif.

"I know they are reshaping the film quite a bit," says Dourif, who portrays Sheriff Brackett. "I'll be interested to see what he finally came up with. We'll see if it works. There's a possibility it won't work, but Rob pulled the last rabbit out of the hat pretty good."

...Two weeks before release, Zombie was racing to finish the film, even as he and the cast started to promote it. There was 11th hour sound mixing to take care of.

..."He's really been under the gun, and I think it's been very hard on him," says Dourif. "He's been playing catchup the whole time and it's a risky thing what he's trying to do, making the movie more character-driven than what's normal for a horror film."

- NJ.com

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

My brother is the biggest Michael Myers/Halloween fan I have ever met in my life. I was going to go but I was a little short on cash and wanted to do the Halloween 2/Final Destination back to back thing, so I decided to wait till next weekend. Anyhow, he called me last night and told me how HORRIBLE this movie was and how if he wasn't curious as to how it would end, he would've walked out.

Said Zombie's wife ruins the film and the whole storyline with it SUCKS.

I am so fucking disappointed.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Anyone interested as to why H2 was in such great demand not from an audience, but a production company perspective, should have a go at the New York Times feature on the Weinstein bros., the men behind the franchise reboot.

Since opening its doors in 2005, the Weinstein Company has released about 70 films, and more than one quarter of them failed to break the $1 million box-office mark in the United States. Thirteen of these took in less than $100,000.

... They were corralled in 2005 by Goldman Sachs, which helped raise $1 billion for the company. At the time, filmmaking had acquired a certain cachet in private equity circles, and here was a chance to bankroll what were arguably two of the greatest movie producers in modern cinematic history.

... SO what happened? In part, the Weinstein Company is coping with the same problems facing every other studio, most notably the grim slowdown of the DVD market. But plenty of the Weinsteins’ wounds are also self-inflicted. Instead of using their lush, Goldman-fueled pile of start-up money to focus on filmmaking, the brothers ventured into such new realms as fashion (buying part of Halston, the once-storied label), online social networking (through A Small World, known informally as MySpace for Millionaires) and a piece of Ovation, the cable network.

... The first eight months of this year have been particularly dreadful for the Weinsteins. They have released only four films, in a limited number of theaters, and they have so far brought in a total of $1.3 million domestically. In their Miramax days, the brothers often earned many times that figure on a Friday night.

... the Weinsteins’ flop-to-jackpot ratio has been high enough to prompt the brothers to hire Miller Buckfire & Company, financial advisers who help troubled clients restructure. Last week, the firm finished its review and is urging Team Weinstein to release and promote only 10 movies a year, unload unpromising titles from its film library and avoid empire-building.

To shore up their finances, the brothers received a bridge loan a few months ago estimated at $75 million from Ziff Brothers Investments, according to two people familiar with the loan who requested anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly about it. - NYT

It's a dirty, dirty pool, and filmmakers like Zombie and average horror film fans are the ones getting the shortest shrifts.

As always, there's more into the story then what meets the eye. Naturally, it doesn't necessitate a surge of re-evaluation into Zombie's contributions to the series, but should serve as a healthy reminder that when talking about studios and franchises, films are created and molded with more than merely creative decisions and reasonings.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

There's plenty of GREAT horror films that were made and released within months on shoestring budgets and a tight schedule.

It's either a good film, or it's not, or you have hacks making it. Whatever category people think Zombie falls into, is up to them.

If anyone fucked up, it was the late Moustapha Akkad getting into bed with the Weinstein's back in 1994.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Halloween 3-D will be coming out next year, thankfully, with no Zombie.

Board footer