You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: U2 - Acoustic Achtung Babies

Aussie wrote:

The first listen for me and I was a bit "ho hum - mehh" but I will keep listening and see what happens.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I gotta admit when I first heard it I was like "WTF!?" After a  few listens though it grew on me real quick. I think I really like it. I can't say for sure though cause it's so not what I expected and I don't wanna make a judgement while the excitment is still fresh. I could very well just be overly amused with it 16  The radio here was getting tons of calls on it today and the reaction seems very split. Alot of people say they hate it but alot were saying they love it. My brother fucking hates it but the guy I work with thought it was awesome.  I agree it's not as instantly catchy as Vertigo and it doesn't have that sing along corus but it's more daring than Vertigo and though it doesn't have the drive of Vertigo it's definately more groovey than Vertigo.  Love it or hate nobody can say U2 played it safe this time out.  They're trying something different and I love them for that.

Bono

Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

Not that it really matters, but they are killing it over at the Velvet Rope-of course they kill everything over there. I like it but a few lines are pretty silly. "I don't want to talk about wars between nations"...:/

True but some lines are pretty cool. "Satan loves a bomb scare but he won't scare you"

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

It's not too bad. I think some of the lines are deliverd weird, like the one that ends in "revelations." I really like the fuzzy riff/rhythm. I wish Edge played a little more on it. I heard guitar parts that reminded me of "Where the Streets Have No Name," but they quickly vanished. Although, U2 obviously not known for guitar solos, but Edge is more than capable.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Bono wrote:

I gotta admit when I first heard it I was like "WTF!?" After a  few listens though it grew on me real quick. I think I really like it. I can't say for sure though cause it's so not what I expected and I don't wanna make a judgement while the excitment is still fresh. I could very well just be overly amused with it 16  The radio here was getting tons of calls on it today and the reaction seems very split. Alot of people say they hate it but alot were saying they love it. My brother fucking hates it but the guy I work with thought it was awesome.  I agree it's not as instantly catchy as Vertigo and it doesn't have that sing along corus but it's more daring than Vertigo and though it doesn't have the drive of Vertigo it's definately more groovey than Vertigo.  Love it or hate nobody can say U2 played it safe this time out.  They're trying something different and I love them for that.

how much of a fucking new-gnr fanboy comment is that??????????

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono

Bono wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
Bono wrote:

how much of a fucking new-gnr fanboy comment is that??????????

What the fuck are you talking about?  It's the flat out truth. I can't say for sure if I really like this song yet or if I'm just caught up in the excitement of a new U2 single. A fucking fanboy would simply say they love it and it's the best they've ever heard.  Vertigo is obviously more catchy but this song has a cooler rythem section going thus making it groovier. This song is unlike anything you've heard from U2 before and it's not a guarenteed smash hit like Vertigo was. Therefor they didn't play it safe with a more radio friendly track. They're making a statement with this song.  And the fact is the reaction to this is very mixed. Explain how I'm being a  fucking fan boy here FlashFlood. Cause from where I'm standing I'm being pretty damn objective so far.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The single is definitely a bold move. Like Bono said, they could have easily whipped up a Vertigo vol. 2 and once again everyone and their grandma would have been dancing in the streets. U2 has never been the type of band to do that sort of thing. They continually move forward and are not afraid to experiment and go against the grain.

Its one of the reasons they have such a large and loyal fanbase.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

This song is unlike anything you've heard from U2 before

Really? You just compared parts of the song to other U2 songs.  16 Just messing around. 

I agree that this song is not playing it safe by any means.  I like it.  It's catchy as hell i think.  It's not what i was expecting, that's for sure. 

I think what FlashFlood meant was that your post sounds a lot like what some GNR fans said about the new material.  I don't think he was calling you a fan boy.  I could be wrong though.  16

Bono

Bono wrote:
Saikin wrote:

This song is unlike anything you've heard from U2 before

Really? You just compared parts of the song to other U2 songs.  16 Just messing around. 

I agree that this song is not playing it safe by any means.  I like it.  It's catchy as hell i think.  It's not what i was expecting, that's for sure. 

I think what FlashFlood meant was that your post sounds a lot like what some GNR fans said about the new material.  I don't think he was calling you a fan boy.  I could be wrong though.  16

14 Yeah I know Saikin. It does sound completely different yet you do hear the influences of Vertigo, Fast Cars and Discotheque throughout the song. It's just put together in a totally new way. I agree it's catchy but there's multiple transitions throughout where I think the catchiness takes a break. There's no real break in Vertigo.  I'm pretty positive FlashFlood was calling me a fan boy. You don't post that with no follow up unless you're  calling that person  a "fucking fanboy" who's lacking any objectivity.

Anybody else getting a Subteranean Homesick Blues(Bob Dylan) vibe durring the verses?  It's kind of a stretch but it reminds me of it.

Board footer