You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: U2 - Acoustic Achtung Babies

bigbri wrote:

Yes, Bono (not you) does deliver those lines in a somewhat similar fashion. I feel a little Mysterious Ways in there at times. Can't pinpoint a specific moment, just a general vibe occasionally.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

It really does amaze me how U2 can move in entirely new directions while at the same time staying faithful to their old material.  It's almost like you can see how this band is evolving by hearing this song, that sounds different, but still has influences from their other stuff.  I like this better than Vertigo.  I think it's a much better song, but that's just me.  Vertigo just didn't do it for me.  It was too mainstream radio. 

I can hear that Bob Dylan vibe.  It's a stretch, but it's there.  I think i've played this song like 9 times today.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Bono wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
Bono wrote:

I gotta admit when I first heard it I was like "WTF!?" After a  few listens though it grew on me real quick. I think I really like it. I can't say for sure though cause it's so not what I expected and I don't wanna make a judgement while the excitment is still fresh. I could very well just be overly amused with it 16  The radio here was getting tons of calls on it today and the reaction seems very split. Alot of people say they hate it but alot were saying they love it. My brother fucking hates it but the guy I work with thought it was awesome.  I agree it's not as instantly catchy as Vertigo and it doesn't have that sing along corus but it's more daring than Vertigo and though it doesn't have the drive of Vertigo it's definately more groovey than Vertigo.  Love it or hate nobody can say U2 played it safe this time out.  They're trying something different and I love them for that.

how much of a fucking new-gnr fanboy comment is that??????????

What the fuck are you talking about?  It's the flat out truth. I can't say for sure if I really like this song yet or if I'm just caught up in the excitement of a new U2 single. A fucking fanboy would simply say they love it and it's the best they've ever heard.  Vertigo is obviously more catchy but this song has a cooler rythem section going thus making it groovier. This song is unlike anything you've heard from U2 before and it's not a guarenteed smash hit like Vertigo was. Therefor they didn't play it safe with a more radio friendly track. They're making a statement with this song.  And the fact is the reaction to this is very mixed. Explain how I'm being a  fucking fan boy here FlashFlood. Cause from where I'm standing I'm being pretty damn objective so far.

allow me to explain maybe fanboy wasnt the perfect term to use but let me explain

" gotta admit when I first heard it I was like "WTF!?" After a  few listens though it grew on me real quick (this first sentence has been used to describe cd more than anything). I think I really like it. I can't say for sure though cause it's so not what I expected and I don't wanna make a judgement while the excitment is still fresh (just as people were judged for liking songs off of CD, while people accused them of just liking them because they were new). I could very well just be overly amused with it 16  The radio here was getting tons of calls on it today and the reaction seems very split (better and cd got similar reviews). Alot of people say they hate it but alot were saying they love it (better +cd). My brother fucking hates it but the guy I work with thought it was awesome (better + cd)  I agree it's not as instantly catchy as Vertigo and it doesn't have that sing along corus but it's more daring than Vertigo and though it doesn't have the drive of Vertigo it's definately more groovey than Vertigo (cd doesnt have a chorus but its a good rocker).  Love it or hate nobody can say U2 played it safe this time out (same for GNR).  They're trying something different and I love them for that (same for gnr)

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

This is awesome. GNR threads go off topic to become U2 threads. U2 threads go off topic and become GNR threads.

Too funny.

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:
Bono wrote:
Saikin wrote:

This song is unlike anything you've heard from U2 before

Really? You just compared parts of the song to other U2 songs.  16 Just messing around. 

I agree that this song is not playing it safe by any means.  I like it.  It's catchy as hell i think.  It's not what i was expecting, that's for sure. 

I think what FlashFlood meant was that your post sounds a lot like what some GNR fans said about the new material.  I don't think he was calling you a fan boy.  I could be wrong though.  16

14 Yeah I know Saikin. It does sound completely different yet you do hear the influences of Vertigo, Fast Cars and Discotheque throughout the song. It's just put together in a totally new way. I agree it's catchy but there's multiple transitions throughout where I think the catchiness takes a break. There's no real break in Vertigo.  I'm pretty positive FlashFlood was calling me a fan boy. You don't post that with no follow up unless you're  calling that person  a "fucking fanboy" who's lacking any objectivity.

Anybody else getting a Subteranean Homesick Blues(Bob Dylan) vibe durring the verses?  It's kind of a stretch but it reminds me of it.

actually i wasnt calling you a fanboy just saying that your post was eerily similar to that of GNR fanboys as it pertains to CD. see my explanation.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

This is awesome. GNR threads go off topic to become U2 threads. U2 threads go off topic and become GNR threads.

Too funny.

Let's all meet each other halfway.....

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

allow me to explain maybe fanboy wasnt the perfect term to use but let me explain

" gotta admit when I first heard it I was like "WTF!?" After a  few listens though it grew on me real quick (this first sentence has been used to describe cd more than anything). I think I really like it. I can't say for sure though cause it's so not what I expected and I don't wanna make a judgement while the excitment is still fresh (just as people were judged for liking songs off of CD, while people accused them of just liking them because they were new). I could very well just be overly amused with it 16  The radio here was getting tons of calls on it today and the reaction seems very split (better and cd got similar reviews). Alot of people say they hate it but alot were saying they love it (better +cd). My brother fucking hates it but the guy I work with thought it was awesome (better + cd)  I agree it's not as instantly catchy as Vertigo and it doesn't have that sing along corus but it's more daring than Vertigo and though it doesn't have the drive of Vertigo it's definately more groovey than Vertigo (cd doesnt have a chorus but its a good rocker).  Love it or hate nobody can say U2 played it safe this time out (same for GNR).  They're trying something different and I love them for that (same for gnr)

Gotcha. Eplanation makes sense. just when you call my post that of a fanboy I can't help but think I'm being calleda douche fanboy as well 14 I think there's a huge difference here. U2 didn't take 13 years to try something different. From my experience the reactions to CD for the most part have not been mixed. They've been poor and going by alot of the "fanboy" comments regarding CD "everyone they've talked to loves the album"  U2 no doubt has a more mainstreme song on this album that woud've been a safer choice as a single. Gn'R do not so it's not like they should be commended for their choice of single. They had no choice.  Get on Your Boots is making people think "wtf?" or "whoa that's U2" whether  they like the song or not. I think the difference here is those people that thought Better or CD sucked had no desire to hear the album. I've heard and read alot of comments today where people don't like Get On Your Boots but because of it their interest in NLOTH has been sparked.  I think in the eyes of many who rate this song a fail it's still somehow managing to get a  positive fail. The only thing remotely fanboy about my post really is that Gn'R fanboys may have used  the same coments when refering to CD. Only difference is I'm not trying to convince myself of anything.

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

all that said....this song blows

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

James that KOHD version is quite posibly the worst performance ever. The Edge is just playing how ever the hell he feels like it. All over the place. Axl is singing the song his own way, Bono sings it his way and they don't go together at all. Most brutal thing I've ever seen  14  Such a shame they never got together to do it properly.

here's some links again so newbies to the thread don't have to search if they don't want to.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9LXYINKA

http://www.mediafire.com/?jzndzh5ryji

u2.com stream: http://goyb.u2.com/

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

first and foremost nice post edit. second, you keep basing cd's success or lack thereof on what your friends say. so why not use the same standard on this U2 song? are your friends that dont like it saying "oh i dont like it i need to hear more songs" or this song fucking blows?

Board footer