You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: U2 - Acoustic Achtung Babies

Sky Dog wrote:

great great song..one of my favorites on the album.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Not a big fan of Breathe. Can't wait to hear your thoughts Bono. You're our U2 expert. Also, let us know how those Bucket CDs hit ya?

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I'm going to pick this up at Best Buy along with the Watchmen motion comic blu-ray. I'd get it right here at Target, but Best Buy has the limited edition that I want with the book and DVD.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Just walked in the door 30 seconds ago. I bought the album this morning but waited until my drive home after work to listen. I took a  massive detour on the highway so I could get the entire album in one listen uninterupted. Picked a nice back highway that was pretty empty.  What normally takes 25 minutes took me 45 16

Anyways  here's my first impressions off of one listen. Keep that in mind, ONE LISTEN:

-No Line on the Horizon - Poor choice to open the album. I like it but not to open the album

-Magnificent is fucking awesome. I love that song and had to force myself not to skip back and listen to it again before I'd made it through the  album

-I think this album belongs to Larry Mullen Jr. and Adam Clayton. The rythem section shines and  I honestly think they are the stars of the album

-Bono's vocals are so so in my opinion. The vocal mix is low at times and at others he just sounds like he's lost it a bit. That's to be expected with age I guess.

-The Edge for me is a big letdown on this album. I found myself constantly thinking "I hate that fucking chiming guitar" It's become a fucking cliche and it's reached it's breaking point on this album.  That was really bugging me throughout.  So many solo's sounding the same over and over again on this album. I honestly hated it on first listen.

-I'm not sure how  the album as a whole is getting such huge prasie. To me it's really a hit and miss effort. Some great moments and some real letdowns in others. I'm not talking from song to song I'm talking within each song.

-I can't honestly say I love this album. Can't say I really like it.  I'm not sure. Some songs are pretty good, most are good but the chiming guitar grates on my nerves on this album for some reason. 

Standout tracks - Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, White as Snow

Low points - Unknown Caller, FEZ-Being Born

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think one of the reasons U2 is able to avoid any negativity is simply their approach. They do such an amazing job at promotion that even their haters give them respect. You get a smorgasbord of goodies, and thats BEFORE the record hits shelves.  They pound the pavement like they have something to prove. The hunger is still there.

One of the keys is how they refuse to simply promote one tune. Don't like the first single? Doesn't matter, because its not the only song they perform on their promo blitz. You get the 1st single, then Magnificent(which does kick ass), another new tune, and the cherry on top is Vertigo which is just as catchy as it was the moment it was released. They do so many cool things during their promotion, it keeps them in the headlines and the focus on the new record.

Everything is a win win situation for them.

Even if they release a turd, I will always support the band in some capacity because they do things how they're supposed to be done. They own the blueprint on how EVERY major act should be dealing with a new album.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Even though it is your first impression, Bono, I agree with your review. I think it's very uneven throughout. Magnificent and Moment To Remember are the obvious highlights. I'm not as down on the guitar, but I can see your point. I see that guitar sound as U2's trademark. Perhaps they're overplaying it.

I also like the title track, Crazy and Cedars of Lebanon. Others I feel like I should like, such as Breathe, but it feels flat, almost too easy. It's like IRS from CD. It's very GNR-like, but it just misses its mark for some reason. Can't put my finger on the reason for either song.

The rest is OK, except for FEZ and Unknown Caller. very turned off by those. Repeated listens helped minimally. I hate the way the chorus is delivered in Caller. HATE it.

It's still a very good album in my eyes.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I'd have to agree with those thoughts James.  I'm not a U2 fan by any stretch of the imagination but I stayed up last night and caught their performance on Letterman.  While I wasn't overly impressed with the song itself I thought it was a really good performance.  Bono was real energetic getting the crowd into it.  You could tell he/they really enjoyed being there and were greatful to be given such an opportunity.  It was refreshing to see.  U2 really can't do much wrong.  They're likeable guys, well respected, and have all the impressive credentials to back it up.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I've noticed a lot of people (not on this board) will try to write this album off because of Bono's self-righteousness and ego.  I'm sorry, but that argument doesn't hold water.  U2 is the biggest band in the world- I think Bono's ego is not exactly misplaced. 16

Very good album overall I think.  There are song that aren't that good, but there's obviously really amazing stuff as well.

Sky Dog wrote:

I have listened to the album probably ten times or more and will still say it is their best since Achtung. It got better with every listen. I don't skip a track....and I like that chiming guitar!

fav tracks: NLOTH, Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, Stand Up Comedy, Breathe...for now.:P

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Its definitely one of their best albums. Not the overall album itself, but based on the strength of a few key tracks(Magnificent, White As Snow, Moment of Surrender, Cedars of Lebanon).

Board footer