You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: Fortus: GNR tour should begin in late March '09

sic. wrote:

The Fortus comment was a direct reaction to Rolling Stone picking up on the story and blowing it up into a singular news story:

Guns n’ Roses Guitarist: “Chinese Democracy” Tour To Start In March, Last “At Least Two Years”

12/29/08, 8:55 am EST

Buried deep in an article about Guns n’ Roses guitarist Richard Fortus and his one-night reunion with Pale Divine is this bit of potentially huge news: A Gn’R tour should start in late March and is expected to last “at least two years,” according to Fortus. The band had hinted at a possible tour on their official Website in April, saying the fifth Chinese Democracy tour since 2001 was in negotiations — “When we begin to put tour plans together, we’ll see where things are,” the band said at the time — and a source close to the band told Rolling Stone an ‘09 tour was in the works. With album sales slumping and Axl Rose still reluctant to conduct any interview outside of message board forums, a tour is just what the album needs for a promotional boost. If the March start date is correct, it puts Guns in a position to headline several huge festivals in 2009 on both sides of the Atlantic.

Fortus has played guitar in some capacity for Gn’R since 2002, when Axl Rose’s friend Paul Tobias left the group’s revolving-door guitarist job. Currently, Fortus is the lead guitarist on Rihanna’s Good Girl Gone Bad tour. A St. Louis native, Fortus says he and Axl joked about returning to the city where, in 1991, Rose caused a riot after he stormed offstage because a photographer in the crowd ticked him off. “There has been talk of us doing a Love tour, a tour of all the cities where there have been riots, and doing free shows,” Fortus said.

We’ll remain optimistic about a Guns tour but again, this is the gloriously unpredictable Axl Rose we’re dealing with.

For the record, all things Fortus has said about touring as of late:

"The next tour will be... I don’t know if I should talk about it. I don’t think we’re going to be doing dates this year, either. I think we’re supposed to be starting back up in January." (Richard Fortus, Ultimate Guitar, 11/26/08)

"I get home on the 20th of December, and then get the family and go to St. Louis [for a Pale Divine show]. And then the day after we play, I'm flying to Dubai for New Year's; they're still trying to figure out where the [Rihanna] New Year's show is going to be. GNR's not doing anything until next year, in January." (Richard Fortus, The Pageant, 12/09/08)

"'There has been talk of [GNR] doing a Love tour, a tour of all the cities where there have been riots, and doing free shows,' Fortus said in a recent telephone interview. [...] Regardless, he said, late March should bring the GN'R tour, which likely will last at least two years." (Richard Fortus, The Telegraph, 12/26/08)

"OK, it seems that I am being misquoted once again. I never said that Gn'R would be playing St. Louis, nor did I say that we will be doing free shows or that we are starting a 2 year tour in March! Selective hearing. Never said it." (Richard Fortus, HTGTH, 12/30/08)

January was canceled.

Now March is in doubt. What fun.

axlcrazy
 Rep: 4 

axlcrazy wrote:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with Richard not being able to back up what he says. I think it has to do with the fact GN'R is a freakin' traveling circus.

The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing.

Sky Dog wrote:

it is not Gnr...it is Axl and his management.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i … y-started/

seems Fortus has been shut up

can this trainwreck get any more hilarious?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

What's funny is the comments that always follow those articles. Its the same type of discussions at the forums. Is it just the forum peeps arguing on those sites as well?

You would think a few casual fans would chime in at some point.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Now it's on RollingStone.com...

A very public and high-profile outlet, just to say "no tour". Axl says, "we'll see".

As it's been painfully obvious since the fall, maybe this will show some of these fans - it ain't gonna happen. There's no tour in the works, not now, not anytime soon.

Board footer