You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Dave Navarro on Chinese

Smoking Guns wrote:
skippy wrote:

Nothing's Shocking changed music, in a way similiar to AFD.

You would often find Axl in those days wearing a Jane's shirt, and lamenting that no one took him seriously.

Maybe for Alt. Rock, not Hard Rock.  GNR is you know a "Hard Rock" band, or atleast they were at one time.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

Slash has two truly legendary songs and that is it.

So does Hendrix. Actually, a case could be made that he only has one.

This reminds me of an argument i had with my friend the other night.  Went something like, "Buckethead is decent, but he can't compare to Hendrix."  I told my friend to name 5 Hendrix songs, he said he didn't have to to know Hendrix is a legend. 

Kinda not really an argument then.  He's giving the conclusion with no supporting premises.  Reminded me a lot of this argument.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

For Hendrix I would say Voodoo Child and Purple Haze...  But his cover of Hey Joe is pretty famous..  Little Wing, All Along the Watchtower (another cover), Fire, and Foxy Lady, are all famous songs....

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't get the 'Slash has only two famous songs' assumption. Geez, if it's true, than GN'R have only two famous songs. Slash's guitar playing on WTTJ, PC, SCOM, NR and KOHD are instant classics. I could name other songs that are at least that good, but not that well-known. Please name 10 guitar players with a more impressive catalogue. You can't. Downgrading Slash's importance and legend (which is not the top hat, before anyone would start it) as a guitar player, is like saying that Jimmy Page has only one legendary song, Stairway to Heaven.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

Don't even remotely compare Slash to Hendrix in any way....I am being serious about that. Songwriting ability, playing, influence, style...in every way Hendrix exceeds Slash.

and for the record, Buzz wins, SCOM and Jungle are Slash's most "legendary" moments and most memorable riffs. I didn't say his best performances.

Smoking, a guitar God is not defined by solos, he is defined by being the entire package. Songwriting, rhythm, influence, solos, presence....everything. I don't need a Joe Perry/Jimmy Page knockoff solo in every song.

Finally, outside of a few solos here and there, I still say that Slash hasn't been very good ever since Izzy bailed. Left to his own devices, Slash becomes pretty average in my opinion. (I know you can say the same about Axl and Izzy for that matter, but we are not talking about them). Sorry, it is just my opinion and AGAIN, it doesn't mean I don't love Slash or the old Gnr. hmm

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
madagas wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

Don't even remotely compare Slash to Hendrix in any way....I am being serious about that. Songwriting ability, playing, influence, style...in every way Hendrix exceeds Slash.

and for the record, Buzz wins, SCOM and Jungle are Slash's most "legendary" moments and most memorable riffs. I didn't say his best performances.

Smoking, a guitar God is not defined by solos, he is defined by being the entire package. Songwriting, rhythm, influence, solos, presence....everything. I don't need a Joe Perry/Jimmy Page knockoff solo in every song.

Finally, outside of a few solos here and there, I still say that Slash hasn't been very good ever since Izzy bailed. Left to his own devices, Slash becomes pretty average in my opinion. (I know you can say the same about Axl and Izzy for that matter, but we are not talking about them). Sorry, it is just my opinion and AGAIN, it doesn't mean I don't love Slash or the old Gnr. hmm

You have your opinion and that is great Madagas!  Slash is in elite company as far as being famous for playing the guitar.  He is much more famous than Joe Perry ever was.  Slash has connected with so many players over the years and that cannot be denied.  No one is saying Slash is better than Page or Hendrix, but he is a true rock guitar God.  The first four were Page, Hendrix, Clapton, and Beck.  After that you get Gary More, Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young, Billy Gibbons, and then in the 80's guys like Randy Rhoades, Zakk Wylde, and Slash.  Navarro or Finck or Bumblefoot will never be mentioned with the guys I listed above.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

The Hendrix discography is pretty damn weak. It was a decent output considering he wasn't on the scene for very long, but let's call a spade a spade.

As far as influence goes, of course Hendrix trumps Slash in that department. I don't think any guitarist was as influential as Hendrix. Doesn't mean he's buried with a ton of legendary material.

Purple Haze
Voodoo Child

second tier:

Crosstown Traffic
Hey Joe
All Along the Watchtower

The rest of his material give or take a few songs is pretty much irrelevant.

Slash hasn't been very good ever since Izzy bailed.

None of them have been very good since Izzy bailed. You can take Chinese Democracy, VR, and all solo albums; dig through the chaff and come up with one solid album of no filler that would be on par with the 87-91 output.

Sky Dog wrote:

depends on what you like in regards to post Gnr material...

The Jimi Hendrix Experience's 3 studio albums were Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold As Love, and Electric Ladyland. 3 drop dead classics released in a 2 year period. EVERY critic in rock music history will tell you Hendrix's catalog of recorded, finished material is astounding for the time he was around. It is obvious you have never fully listened to Hendrix or you would't be talking like that. I am not even going to get in to the song Machine Gun from Band of Gypsys which I consider to be the greatest guitar song of all time.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ … f_all_time

as a reference and I could go find 50 more if you want.....but to call Hendrix's catalog weak is an INSANE comment. 18 #15, #54, and #82 on that particular list of greatest albums.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i cant beleive a passing comment has turned into Dave joining gnr and a slash/navarro comparison

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

They lost me when they began arguing on the merits of Hendrix.

Kids today.

Board footer