You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: LARS ULRICH Holding Up Release of GNR 'Better' Video?

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

what I can't understand is, how some of that shit is ahead of GNR on the charts.

I don't think CD is an amazing album, but Damn it is better than the shit in front of it.

It's not cool to like GNR. It's cool to hate them. Part of it is groupthink.

Its not as cool to hate them as it was in 94-95. That was a very unkind time to be a GNR fan. DJs would laugh if you requested them.

They just aren't relevant in today's culture. Its a band of guys in their mid/late 40s. The young generation isn't going to identify with them, and they cant be AC/DC or Metallica because its not the "real" GNR. So they cant be current, and they cant be nostalgic. Axl is lucky that these songs and the album charted as well as they did.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

My bet is the Better video is out this week.  I think Universal and Frontline work closely with Viacom, whose flagship rock station is K-Rock out of NY.  They had a GNR block weekend.  Also, VH1, which is owned by Viacom, rolled out WTTJ as the #1 hard rock song this weekend (or re-aired the countdown this weekend).  Typically, big artists management works with Viacom to coordinate these subtle cross marketing campaigns.  I could be wrong, but it seems to me this is not a coincidence.

Here's another reason I think this is about to be released--Billboard is now reporting on this single.  Frontline/UMG seem to leak news to Billboard--they broke the announcement for Frontline being the mgt., the Best Buy exclusive, and the release date.  It seems they may get a courtesy call saying, "this is what is about to happen".  Interesting, they report this today:

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/entertainm … s-n-roses/

But somehow Axl Rose's familiar vocals hold it together. His sense of melody makes "Better" memorable, rendering the song equal parts rock and pop, and GN'R's first bona-fide single for the YouTube/iPod generation.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

As I said in another thread, I've heard Better on regular rotation on Triple M (Sydney's commercial rock station) almost every night. Not sure what that means for sales or interest, but it sounds pretty damn good along with all the other stuff they play.

starsko
 Rep: 6 

starsko wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

Well Better and Chinese Democracy had increased spins on the Mainstream Rock Chart.  Better moved up to #15 from #18, and CD held firm at #8.  In the drop down window, select "Mainstream Rock".

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=253077

Media Base tells a different story. Better is not really picking up (#19) and Chinese Democracy is out of the top 20:

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/insider … ar=y&dpt=n

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
starsko wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

Well Better and Chinese Democracy had increased spins on the Mainstream Rock Chart.  Better moved up to #15 from #18, and CD held firm at #8.  In the drop down window, select "Mainstream Rock".

Media Base tells a different story. Better is not really picking up (#19) and Chinese Democracy is out of the top 20:

http://www.mediabase.com/mmrweb/insider … ar=y&dpt=n

Yours is the active rock Chart, BE's is the Mainstream rock Chart.

Format: Active Rock    Last Update: 1/7/2009 12:59:00 AM 
Rank  Mediabase Sortable Stats™  Spins 
lw TW    Artist Title Label TW lw Move

19  19     GUNS N' ROSES  Better  Geffen/Interscope  759  704  55 

24  24     GUNS N' ROSES  Chinese Democracy  Geffen/Interscope  582  589  -7 

Format: Mainstream Rock    Last Update: 1/7/2009 3:58:00 AM 
Rank  Mediabase Sortable Stats™  Spins 
lw TW    Artist Title Label TW lw Move

8  8     GUNS N' ROSES  Chinese Democracy  Geffen/Interscope  263  253  10 

18  15    GUNS N' ROSES  Better  Geffen/Interscope  123  106  17

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I wonder out loud again: what's the difference between active and mainstream?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I think they categorize the stations as active rock and mainstream rock stations (see below) etc., so they get different charts.

Active rock is a radio format used by many commercial radio stations across Canada and the United States. Active rock plays current rock artists with a mix of classic rock songs.

Format background
An active rock station may include songs by known and popular artists such as Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, and AC/DC in its playlist, whereas a modern rock station would not. Conversely, unlike classic rock stations, an active rock station also plays music by popular current and new rock artists.

Similar to active rock stations, mainstream rock stations play current rock music, but concentrate more on classic rock than active rock stations do.

A pioneering station of this format in the late 1980s was WIYY "98Rock" in Baltimore, Maryland. Other early adopters of this format by the beginning of the 1990s include stations KISS "99.5 KISS Rocks" in San Antonio, TX, WAAF in Boston, Massachusetts, WXTB "98Rock" in Tampa, Florida and KEGL, "97.1 The Eagle ", in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas. Satellite radio channels include XM's Squizz and Sirius's Octane.

Active Rock Airplay chart
Active Rock Airplay Chart is a chart that compiles the current hits on Active Rock radio stations and is used as a component for the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart. This chart is exclusive to R&R, with forty positions on this chart and it is solely based on radio airplay. 62 Active Rock radio stations are electronically monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week by Nielsen Broadcast Data Systems. Songs are ranked by a calculation of the total number of spins per week with its "audience impression", which is based upon exact times of airplay and each station's Arbitron listener data.

Songs receiving the greatest growth will receive a "bullet", although there are tracks that will also get bullets if the loss in detections doesn't exceed the percentage of downtime from a monitored station. "Airpower" awards are issued to songs that appear on the top 20 of both the airplay and audience chart for the first time, while the "greatest gainer" award is given to song with the largest increase in detections. A song with six or more spins in its first week is awarded an "airplay add". If a song is tied for the most spins in the same week, the one with the biggest increase that previous week will rank higher, but if both songs show the same amount of spins regardless of detection the song that is being played at more stations is ranked higher. Songs that fall below the top 20 and have been on the chart after 26 weeks are removed and go to recurrent status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_rock

Mainstream rock (sometimes called Heritage Rock) is a radio format used by many commercial radio stations in the United States and Canada.

Format background
Mainstream rock stations are between classic rock and active rock on the programming spectrum, in that they play more classic rock than active rock stations, but play more modern rock than classic rock stations. In many ways, mainstream rock is a successor to the widespread album-oriented rock (AOR) format created in the 1970s.

As of 2008[update], examples of mainstream rock stations in terrestrial radio include WLUP in Chicago, IL, KRXQ 98 Rock in Sacramento, CA WEBN in Cincinnati, OH, WAPL in Appleton, WI, KZRR in Albuquerque, NM, KEZO in Omaha, NE, WDVE in Pittsburgh PA, WHJY in Providence, RI, KSQY in Rapid City, SD, WAQY in Springfield, MA, KSHE in St. Louis, and KZOZ in San Luis Obispo, CA. Most have a very long heritage that dates back to the 1970s as AOR stations, which is why several trades like Billboard and R&R will refer these stations as "Heritage Rock.".

Rock Airplay chart
Rock Airplay Chart is a chart that compiles the current hits on Rock radio stations and is reflected as a component in Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. The Rock Airplay chart is exclusive to R&R, with thirty positions on this chart and it is solely based on radio airplay. 24 Rock radio stations are electronically monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week by Nielsen Broadcast Data Systems. Songs are ranked by a calculation of the total number of spins per week with its "audience impression", which is based upon exact times of airplay and each station's Arbitron listener data.

Songs receiving the greatest growth will receive a "bullet", although there are tracks that will also get bullets if the loss in detections doesn't exceed the percentage of downtime from a monitored station. "Airpower" awards are issued to songs that appear on the top 20 of both the airplay and audience chart for the first time, while the "greatest gainer" award is given to song with the largest increase in detections. A song with six or more spins in its first week is awarded an "airplay add". If a song is tied for the most spins in the same week, the one with the biggest increase that previous week will rank higher, but if both songs show the same amount of spins regardless of detection the song that is being played at more stations is ranked higher. Songs that fall below the top 20 and have been on the chart after 26 weeks are removed and go to recurrent status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream_rock

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

As I said in another thread, I've heard Better on regular rotation on Triple M (Sydney's commercial rock station) almost every night. Not sure what that means for sales or interest, but it sounds pretty damn good along with all the other stuff they play.

Same here. X101 plays better a few times throughout the day and every night usually.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

December 30, 2008

Gunsnroses.com wrote:

GN'R ON VIDEO
GunsNRoses.com

Lars isn't holding anything up with our video. Our message board comments were meant casually, in fun and amongst friends.

Unfortunately someone with Roadrunner and or Blabbermouth may have taken things a bit out of context and made them into a bit more than they are in reality. Our apologies to anyone who may have been confused. We hope to have our video out shortly.

Thank you.

GNR

We appreciate your understanding,

Guns N' Roses

I didn't see this mentioned here yet, its been on the official site for over a week now hmm

Source: GunsNRoses.com

Board footer