You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Old WWF question...

James wrote:

Sting on the cover of a Starrcade set?? 18 That would be like Harley Race being on the cover of a Wrestlemania set. Sting had very little impact on Starrcade.  The height of that event was 83-87, and Sting's first Starcade was 87, and it was the opening match, which was meaningless.

Starrcade lost most of its allure after the 'Chi-Town Heat' fiasco(87), so I hope that set concentrates on the 83-86 era. There is already a phenomenal Starrcade set released in the 90's on VHS. I doubt this new one can top it.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

I forgot about Bret's. I definatly would like that one. Whats that documentary that was made around the time of the Montrael screwjob that followed Bret around? Thats a damn good one. I bought it on VHS about 10 years ago. I need to get that one out sometime.

I think that was called "Wrestling With Shadows", but I could be wrong.

Edit:  Sorry, thought I was on the last page then noticed I wans't after posting this.  So to make this post worthwhile, somebody put it on youtube.  Here's part one

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I forgot about Bret's. I definatly would like that one. Whats that documentary that was made around the time of the Montrael screwjob that followed Bret around?

I read part of Bret's book at Border's a while back.  The interesting part was that he basically said that he lost his passion for wrestling after the Montreal screwjob.  It's extremely well-written.  Triple H and Shawn come off as major weasels after Montreal.  Apparently, the Undertaker really hated those two guys for a while after that.

NY Giants82 the name of the documentary is called Wrestling with Shadows.  I'm pretty sure I saw it on the A and E channel once.

Yeah I saw that documentary. Bret and his ex-wife ripped them a new one. What was even more disturbing was how HHH & HBK smiled right in his face, and he was none the wiser. They was somebody, can't recall who, that tried to warn Bret that something wasn't right, and they were going to try something. Might've been Taker. I think Bret felt even more hurt when he felt that honestly, that Earl Hebner would let him know, if anything was amiss, and Hebner lied right to him too.

Everything he had came to know went up in smoke within minutes. He realized he was surrounded by a bunch of snakes.

BUT

Bret should've played ball. I'm sorry, but I feel that HHH & HBK were in a rock and a hard place. Bret should've graciously lost the title, knowing he was leaving, and instead, was the egotistic "Hitman" like always. So Vince screwed him. I don't think anyone of them should've lost sleep over that. Bret put them in that position.

But Bret's take on the whole thing, is an amazing take on the industry. They should make a movie out of it one day imo. Riveting stuff.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I forgot about Bret's. I definatly would like that one. Whats that documentary that was made around the time of the Montrael screwjob that followed Bret around?

I read part of Bret's book at Border's a while back.  The interesting part was that he basically said that he lost his passion for wrestling after the Montreal screwjob.  It's extremely well-written.  Triple H and Shawn come off as major weasels after Montreal.  Apparently, the Undertaker really hated those two guys for a while after that.

NY Giants82 the name of the documentary is called Wrestling with Shadows.  I'm pretty sure I saw it on the A and E channel once.

Yeah I saw that documentary. Bret and his ex-wife ripped them a new one. What was even more disturbing was how HHH & HBK smiled right in his face, and he was none the wiser. They was somebody, can't recall who, that tried to warn Bret that something wasn't right, and they were going to try something. Might've been Taker. I think Bret felt even more hurt when he felt that honestly, that Earl Hebner would let him know, if anything was amiss, and Hebner lied right to him too.

Everything he had came to know went up in smoke within minutes. He realized he was surrounded by a bunch of snakes.

If I remember right from Mick Foley's book, he didn't show up to Raw the next night because he thought it was such an aweful thing to do to someone who was a stand-up guy like Bret Hart.  Evidently that night a lot of "the boys" said they weren't going to, but he sat in his hotel room the next night watching everyone else come out on tv.  He thought about it and did what was best for his career.

I might be remembering that wrong, It was probably pushing 10 years abo that I read that book.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

The "must defend title in ____" rule was laughable in WCW. Hogan would go 3 months without putting it on the line.

Lots of 8 man tags ending in DQS, though.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Yeah....I have to admit that a lot of the story about the Montreal screw job story has never sat right with me...I've heard both sides of the story and to this day I don't feel like either side was telling the complete truth or in the complete wrong...I guess that's what's so compelling about the whole situation.

It was a very intense time to be in WWF...but the ground Bret Hart and the Hart Foundation were breaking in the wrestling business was unprecedented and truly entertaining. Looking back now, it doesn't make any sense...why get rid of Bret? He wasn't in it for the HUGE contracts...hell he was wrestling for pennies in Calgary until the late 80s. I truly believe that he was about loyalty and respect to this day...

but desperate times call for desperate measures...Vince thought he could unload a giant expense and devalue him at the same time with one simple move...Vince did NOT like being number 2 in the wrestling world...i think that much is obvious

If forced to pick a side, I think I would pick Bret's side...and I have waivered on this many times...but I think Bret was right...he carried WWF from 1994 until he left...he had a right to demand certian things...it was Vince afterall who wanted him gone the moment that he left...Bret had intentions of showing up on RAW the following night and losing or forfeiting the title the night after

The problem here is that Vince was burned by Alundra Blayze or Madusa as she was called in WCW. She dropped the women's WWF title in the a trash can on a live WCW Nitro and disgraced the WWF women's title for years following...can you imagine that happening to WWF title? The scenarios surrounding this time frame are amazing and entertaining to say the least.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Beyond the Mat was really good too if you are into the documentary thing

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Is that the one with Jake the Snake in it? Man he was fucked up.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

That's the best wrestling Doc i've seen. Saw it a few times on the Bio channel. Really shows his opinion on things. and how not everyone liked the more mature direction RAW took on.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Is that the one with Jake the Snake in it? Man he was fucked up.

yeah...

Board footer