You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Axl = Rock God #11

bigbri wrote:

I am a golden god.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I am a golden god.

it's moments like this when i realize how much i love this board.... 16

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Making it through means that your career isn't killed by it. Bands like Poison or Warrant or even Motley Crue or Van Halen were never able to get big again once grunge rolled through. Anyone can have a few down years, and These Days still sold 10 mil+ worldwide (and I would NEVER call it one of their best albums).

The grunge era is one of the most depressing things about GN'R's demise because they had the power and ability to come out of grunge still credible and still successful. I think their collapse hurt a lot of other non-grunge rock bands of that era, although I admit I could name none specifically.

Van Halen didn't suffer from grudge. 91's F.U.C.K. was a number one album with singles that were on top of the rock charts. And 95's Balance was also a number one album. Had a top selling tour in 2007 to boot. I don't see many grudge bands doing that now. If you look at touring all those bands minus Warrant draw large crowds.

The grudge era is some of the most depressing times in rock in general. I don't care for most of the bands that have come from that era. I do like a few though and think Alice in Chains is the best thing to come from that time frame.

Cobain is high on the list but will always be on those kinds of lists. He was a talented artist but his music doesn't work for me. Overrated as a guitarist is without question. I don't think Nirvana was the best thing from grudge at all. But Cobain was very popular and no one can't deny that even if I or someone else doesn't like his music. I think rock would have been better without Nirvana personally. Dave Grohl can drum the shit out of a kit though. 9

Jon Bon Jovi has been in movies and still sells stadiums and albums on the regular and country charts. He deserves to be on this list but not number 3. Dave Grohl number 12? Axl is in pretty good position. Am I the only one wondering how the hell Keith Richards is not on this list? Stupid online fans.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Kurt Cobain so high on the list always baffles me. I am shocked that Bon Jovi came in at #3. That's pretty surprising really. I like Bon Jovi and I know he's huge but #3 is a  shock. Alot of typical rock fans dont even consider Bon Jovi rock music so.....  Bon Jovi would make my list but not top 5.

And I won't shy away from Slash being ahead of Axl on the list. That goes out to all those who I've argued with over the years who fight to the death claiming Axl is more popular, more well known and more respected in rock music than Slash.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Wrong. Bon Jovi's best album (These Days) came out during the grunge period in the US and was completely ignored.

They finally managed to make a comeback with "It's My Life" from the "Crush" album which came out several years later (''99 I think?). Ever since that album, they've been writing the same song over and over again and people keep buying it.

Not saying he doesn't belong on the list, just wanted to point out the fact that they didn't make it through the grunge era unfazed.

Maybe in the US but These Days was pretty popular here where I live. The songs off that album were all over Much Music. The grunge era didn't faze Bon Jovi one bit. At least not here in Alberta, Canada. He was huge durring this time and played sold out shows.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I am a golden god.

i'm on drugs!!!!!!!!!!

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

GNRBABY wrote:

this list sucks hmm Though, I love Freddy Mercury, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrision. Led Zeppelin (all members) The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead, etc, I could name many more ( Including Freddy) are rock GODS! Bon Jovi is a rockstar and so are many of these fools, but they are FAR from GODS! hmm
this list is really weak...

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
russtcb wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Saudade wrote:

Jon Bon Jovi is #3?! hmm

Bon Jovi is huge, and has been huge since 1986. One of the few 80's bands(Jovi, U2, Aerosmith, Metallica) to make it through the grunge era with ease.

Wrong. Bon Jovi's best album (These Days) came out during the grunge period in the US and was completely ignored.

They finally managed to make a comeback with "It's My Life" from the "Crush" album which came out several years later (''99 I think?). Ever since that album, they've been writing the same song over and over again and people keep buying it.

Not saying he doesn't belong on the list, just wanted to point out the fact that they didn't make it through the grunge era unfazed.

Let me educate u on a little Bon Jovi history

During the height of Grunge 91 to 95 Bon Jovi released Keep the Faith which sold 3 million in the United States, 8 million worldwide and produced two top 40 songs, Keep The Faith no.29 and Bed of Roses which was a top 10 smash *I am talking  billboard hot 100 and not the little mainstream shit people barely chart on today*

Also a mere 2 years later in 1994 their Greatest Hits CD sold 20 million, YES u are reading that correctly, 20 million copies worldwide, 5 million in the US and spawned another top 10 in Always.

These Days in 95 still went platinum in the US although it wasn't huge but it was very big worldwide moving another 8 million or so units and they sold out I don't know how many tours that year.

in 2007-2008 they have THE BIGGEST tour of the year. Not Madonna, not Bruce, but Bon Jovi beat them all.

Jon is a global icon and one of the greatest songwriter/live perfomers u will ever see in person. A true professional in every sense of the word and an all around great guy.

Some want to penalize him because he was never a druggie or didn't have a hard life growing up but he is what I consider the definition of a Rock God.

The guy is so huge he can even have a fucking number 1 country song and not lose any fans.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I fuckin' hate Bon Jovi, I fuckin' hate Bon Jovi's music, and I fuckin' hate everything they stand for.... but I won't deny that they are fuckin' money - in - the - bank.

You can't deny that those guys have been U2 successful, and ALOT of people don't want to admit to that.

Board footer