You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Axl = Rock God #11

gnfnraxl wrote:
GNRBABY wrote:

^ Thanks Bon Jovi! Thanks for playing an acoustic guitar! WOW! So amazing! The Grateful Dead recorded "Reckoning" in 1981, A live "Unplugged" album with the full band presenting their music in an acoustic setting for the first time. That was a GOLD record before Bon Jovi ever thought of the idea. if you like "Unplugged" music I suggest you check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reckoning_ … ead_album)

I'm not saying they invented the genre, but they sure brought it back with a big bang.  Their performance was awesome.  And again JBJ like him or not is an amazing performer that can get the crowd to eat from the palm of his hand.  So to me that makes him a Rock God.

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

GNRBABY wrote:

I like Bon Jovi too! But he is not a rock GOD. The Backstreet Boys have their fans eating from the palm of their hand - so does a lot of musicians who are not rock GODS. I'm not comparing Bon Jovi to a boy band - they are WAY better than that, but they don't belong up there with the true GODS of rock...

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
GNRBABY wrote:

I like Bon Jovi too! But he is not a rock GOD. The Backstreet Boys have their fans eating from the palm of their hand - so does a lot of musicians who are not rock GODS. I'm not comparing Bon Jovi to a boy band - they are WAY better than that, but they don't belong up there with the true GODS of rock...

We'll just have to agree to disagree or else we're both gonna argue till we're blue to the face.  Comparing Bon Jovi's success or fanbase to the Backstreet Boys is just plain ridiculous.  You just don't have a 25 year carreer a successfull 25 year carreer might I add by being talentless.  And to some extent they influenced more bands than we'll ever know.  I still say that the critics or even some bands who claim to detest Bon Jovi have them on their rotation once in awhile and own one or more Bon Jovi albums.  That sound from the voice box on Livin on a Prayer was used numerous times after Prayer was a huge hit.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Bon Jovi inspired the MTV Unplugged series is what he is saying which was huge in the 90's. Watch and see why they seperate from other 80's bands.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=i1qyrGIop_M

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

GNRBABY wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

Bon Jovi inspired the MTV Unplugged series is what he is saying which was huge in the 90's. Watch and see why they seperate from other 80's bands.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=i1qyrGIop_M

that was great!

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Here's on fact for you all. I dj as some of you know and durring the summer in the height of the tourist season when the bar I dj at is linedup down the street to get into,  I'm playing all the shit you'd expect to hear in a  club. The Britney spears stuff, the hip hop, the electronic stuff but I will shit you not the most popular song I play night in and night out is Livin' on a Prayer. No lie. I've been playin it in bars since I started djing in them and still in 2008 that song blows the roof off the bar every single time I play it. When the bar is packed like a sardine can no song even comes close to getting the reaction that Livin' on a Prayer does.  Not only does it rock the dance floor the bartenders and waitresses love to cause it rocks the entire bar.  So I don't care what anyone says. Bon Jovi deserve a spot on the list. I just find #3 to be a bit surprising.  I mean seriosuly when a song can defy a  generation gap the way Livin on a Prayer does that says something. That says a lot in my opinion. And to be honest When I play it I mix it with the very begining of You Give Love a Bad name. "Shot through the heart...."   That's all that needs to play and the entire bar sings the rest of the opening line at the top of their lungs "and you're to blame darling you give love a bad name"  cue the drums to Livin on a  Prayer and the place goes crazy. I can't explain it. In 2008 Bon Jovi rules I guess 16

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Bon Jovi is very successful, but I haven't met anyone in my life who'd have said 'Jon Bon Jovi is my hero'. That's why although he is a superstar, he is not a Rock God in my opinion. He's not a hero. Maybe cause he's 'too normal' like D said, or because his lyrics aren't as meaningful as a lot of others'. I don't know.
When I was a kid, I sometimes asked myself 'what Axl Rose would do?' (in a tough situation). I know it was childish, but hey, I was a child. I also know that I did know nothing about Axl Rose's personality, he was only a reference person for me as the symbol of total coolness, so I thought he'd chose the best solution. Don't start to laugh, hey. Anyway, my point is that while I can see kids thinking what Axl, Cobain etc. would do, I cannot picture anyone who thinks of Jon this way.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Mik makes a good point, and I agree. I've heard alot of people stick the 'god' title on alot of rock legends, but never Bon Jovi or Richie Sambora.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Bono, regarding your "jealous" comment, let's put it this way. I don't think Axl or Bon Jovi deserve a seat at the same table as the likes of Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Dylan, et al. Neither Bon Jovi nor GN'R are in that league. That is rarified air and that's why I'd say that neither lead singer from those two bands should be referred to as a "rock god." It's debatable whether Slash should belong at that table or not, but I'd say he belongs far more than either singer.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Bono, regarding your "jealous" comment, let's put it this way. I don't think Axl or Bon Jovi deserve a seat at the same table as the likes of Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Dylan, et al. Neither Bon Jovi nor GN'R are in that league. That is rarified air and that's why I'd say that neither lead singer from those two bands should be referred to as a "rock god." It's debatable whether Slash should belong at that table or not, but I'd say he belongs far more than either singer.

That's fair enough but alot of it just comes off as people being bitter. I agree though the list losses alot of credibility wih the abscence of Keith Richards

Board footer