You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Who should be GNR's next lead guitarist? (If needed)

bigbri wrote:

Tracii Guns. He and Axl deserve each other. Peas from the same pod.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, except Axl actually has talent.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

Well, we might as well think of who would be the worst fit...

Because that's what he'll go with, anyway. 

Hmmmmm.....

Jennifer Batten
MichaelAngelo
Vito Bratta
Billy Squier
Danny Cooksey

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Del James on guitar

skippy

skippy wrote:

I think I've cracked the nut that is Axl/TheBreakup/NuGuns saga.

It's a scientific theory, we can even call it Bailey's Code.

Whatever worst case scenario one can dream up, the reality with be worse than that.

For example:

(Imagine Worst Case Scenario) Slash will be replaced by a new lead guitarist who won't be able to fill his shoes.

(Reality)The new lead guitarist will play incredibly out of tune, wear a trash bag, and have half of shaved head, and waste valuable Rock In Rio set time playing some song no one cares about, while Axl takes a dump.

Didja see that?  I've cracked the DaVinci Code of GNR.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
skippy wrote:

I think I've cracked the nut that is Axl/TheBreakup/NuGuns saga.

It's a scientific theory, we can even call it Bailey's Code.

Whatever worst case scenario one can dream up, the reality with be worse than that.

For example:

(Imagine Worst Case Scenario) Slash will be replaced by a new lead guitarist who won't be able to fill his shoes.

(Reality)The new lead guitarist will play incredibly out of tune, wear a trash bag, and have half of shaved head, and waste valuable Rock In Rio set time playing some song no one cares about, while Axl takes a dump.

Didja see that?  I've cracked the DaVinci Code of GNR.

Except the one lead role in old GNR was replaced by two lead roles.  So you still have another lead guitar player to explain.

And bringing BH in is certainly not the worst case scenario.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't know about that Saikin.  From a musical standpoint, one could argue it was an improvement.  From an image standpoint, it was a disaster.  Not just bad, disaster.  The 2002 (or whatever year it was) VMAs and subsequent "tour" ended this version of GnR.  While a couple people here got interested as a result, the rest of the world tuned out.  I know all the BH fans like to say image doesn't matter, but you're wrong.  Image matters more than the music sadly.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't know about that Saikin.  From a musical standpoint, one could argue it was an improvement.  From an image standpoint, it was a disaster.  Not just bad, disaster.  The 2002 (or whatever year it was) VMAs and subsequent "tour" ended this version of GnR.  While a couple people here got interested as a result, the rest of the world tuned out.  I know all the BH fans like to say image doesn't matter, but you're wrong.  Image matters more than the music sadly.

Certainly.  I wasn't addressing image but you bring up a valid point.

Although no one will be able to convince me that Bh's image was more of a detriment than Finck's image in 2002.  Axl's image certainly didn't help anything either. 

My original point though was that musically Skippy would be hard pressed to give a valid argument about how Bh was the worst case scenario for GNR as a lead guitarist.  Even take into account musicality and image and i still don't think a strong argument could be made of how Bh is the worst case scenario.

skippy

skippy wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't consider Bucket to be Slash's replacement, as lead guitarist.

I consider Bucket an addition that definitely brought something to the table.
Had Bucket and only Bucket been up there shredding, COOL!  He brought an element to GnR that wasn't there before.  I'm surprised Finck wasn't wearing a top hat and a curly wig while he pooped out those awful licks.

Finck had no business being any where near a stage, nor soloing on a stage with Bucket around.

That's what I meant about worst case scenario, you have a talent like Bucket, but a HACK like Finck is getting solos and looks like an weirdo to boot.

That's Bailey's Code

Kind of ridiculous like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkmQ0ZtkldY

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Bh was totally not a worse case senario...in contrast it was a step in the right direction. The original GNR was popular because of everyone, but a large part of things was Axl's voice and Slash's guitar. The loss of slash left a hole in the guitar department, the addition of bucket brought in a guitarist that was clearly at virtuoso level and thus a guitarist that could be respected by guitarist type fans.

While I agree that immage is everything these days, BH's image serves to make him more memorable to a non-guitariast than the other guitar masters such as Gilbert. So i think people see him as "that freak with the deadly guitar skills"...sure he cops a lot for it...but at the end of the day he can back it up in playing. I'll grant it wouldn't have helped but I think more of an issue for the 2002 line up was Axl's change to the urban gangster look, and Robin's variation on the solos and general apperance. For whatever reason circa 2002 Axl's voice appeared to have different qualities too, and I don't think that would have helped people dig it as GNR. You have a new band, with a new style voice, new style of guitar parts, and a host of different unexplained appearances all at once. Tough for the mass market to handle.

Board footer