You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Is CD still in regular rotation on your stereo?

Neemo wrote:

i dunno i just always preferred original material by them and not the covers

my problem with Live Era is that it is mostly a live release of the Paris PPV....which i had on a triple CD as a bootleg for at least 6 years prior to the release of Live Era....and i was so disappointed that i had heard so much of the album already.....I never really clued in until now but it was kinda dejavu in 2008 i suppose 16

Sky Dog wrote:

I don't really like most of their studio covers either and wish KOHD and LALD had been left off UYI.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

I don't really like most of their studio covers either and wish KOHD and LALD had been left off UYI.

amen .... i've been preaching that story for years 9

and left outta the setlist too for that matter 16

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Greatest Hits is a bit pointless when you have been a fan for years, thats why I dont count it. I guess young fans who discovered the band through GH might count it though.

I love their cover versions, I cant say I'd heard any originals off TSI, except hair of the dog, before buying it. So it was all new GNR to me.
TSI was a grower though, I didnt buy it and love it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

These covers.....

Buick Makane
Black Leather
Human Being
Attitude
New Rose

Should have been the bonus disc to UYI.

Live Era is shit. Only song on that set worthy of my ears is Dust N Bones.

Like Madagas, I never bought GH. Never will either. Only way I will ever buy a GH/Best of collection from GNR is if its a 2 disc set where actual thought is put into the track selection and it has a few rarities from the old band no one has ever heard yet.

reni800
 Rep: 0 

reni800 wrote:

I listen to most of the album every day. It's one of the best I've heard in years.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Haven't listened to it for a while. Had it on heavy rotation for a few weeks, which is impressive considering half the album had already been played for years.

I actually kinda dig TSI. Half of the songs pretty much kick ass, a quarter is alright and the last quarter I skip (Black Leather, New Rose and Raw Power). For a cover album it's a decent effort. I see the argument however that it should have been included as a bonus disc or b-sides instead of as an album.

I don't have too much against Live Era. Only gripe is that it should be called a UYI era album and have more rarities. The Coma version is fucking mean, but of course that only ended up on the Japanese version. A handful of songs from the Adler period is a fucking joke on a double disc. They should definitely release something more 80s oriented at the next crossroads. Why bands are so tight assed with these live albums is beyond me. Just release the damn things on a regular basis, nobody but the hardcore buys them anyway and it's all profit.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I also think Live Era sucks. The only one I like is Nightrain. Greatest hits was a fucking joke so I don't own that one. TSI is pretty good I think.  The sad part is even though it's an album of covers I think TSI has more guts and seems alot more genuine than CD does.  I really think thats' where CD losses me the most. It lacks any real heart, any real passion. It seems so manufactured to me and that makes it real hard to listen to all teh way through and even harder to do so repeatedly. .

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

In reference to Live Era...

I REALLY LOVE Live Era. And yes, I know i'm the only one, but I steered clear of that album for years because of all the bad responses it got, and I finally gave it a chance a few years ago, picked it up at Circuit City, and just fell in love with it. For awhile it was all I listened to when I was in a GN'R mood. Yes it's overproduced, yes it's tweaked, but there aren't many live albums out there that aren't. For years KISS-Alive! was deemed the holy grail of live albums... yet later they confessed it had major studio tweaking, and was not an authentic live performance. All bands do this. I happen to really like Live Era, and I feel Nightrain, Knockin' On Heaven's Door & Move To The City are better on Live Era, than on the original studio albums. jmo

In reference to The Spaghetti Incident...

CD is a great album, but one thing it lacks is an authentic band feel, that I agree with Bono, even TSI has. I still think Raw Power & Buick Makane still absolutely suck. Some of the worst GN'R tracks ever. But Since I Don't Have You has grown on me over the years, Down On The Farm, Human Being & Ain't It Fun are hidden masterpieces, Hair of the Dog & Attitude imo are better than the originals, Black Leather is another hidden gem, I really enjoy You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory & I Don't Care About You... and I really like Look At Your Game Girl is really an overlooked amazing session with Axl doing what he does best.

It's album that gets better and better over time. CERTAINTLY the best album you'll ever find in a bargain bin imo. Well... at least until CD hits the bin, hehe.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Only good thing about GH is that the songs from AFD have been remastered (I think), well they sound louder and a little more crisp than on my AFD cd.

Board footer