You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Interesting Post-MyGnr 6/20/2008-Future albums Speculation

Neemo wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I see what you're saying Nemo but for me it's not about how it did, it's what happened upon release.

Do you think they would plough ahead with driving the GNR brand if Axl made it be known that he didn't think he had it in him to promote the albums the old fashioned way?

Will Axl even allow that?

thats the $1,000,000 question, somehow gnr has to convince peopel that Thyme or The General or whatever track is a huge amazing song...gnr needs a buzz of some kind...i still say give it to March and see where things stand

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Mad,
It's a 53 page thread on the Rope, it's in there somewhere. I may not have much to do buddy but I don't have that little to do!!

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I have several questions:

Didn't Beta say that the album was turned in December 2007?

Neemo or anyone, does anyone know the exact terms of their current recording deal?  How many albums do they still owe to the label?

If the record label was involved in the tracklisting etc. why didn't they pick more rockers/stuff that sounded like old gnr to make it more accesible to the public?

Nothing is small & cheap with a band like this. Bands like GNR cost millions to run, even with a solid fan base; 2,000,000 albums per outing will not pay to keep this machine running. Personally I don't think Axl can internalise the idea of being a small time / medium success rock band anyway, nothing about him, his music or his behaviour indicates that.

Yeah, but you're talking about a guy who spent something like 7 years in seclusion.  He clearly will tour or do things on his OWN damn terms and no one else's.  There is direct evidence against your first sentence:  the website its content and the way it is run.  If that doesn't say apathy and shitty I don't know what else will.  Besides you are looking at this from a normal perspective, GNR is clearly not that.

As much as I would like a reunion, it does not seem likely at this point.  Axl has to find some sort of peace and closure from the past events for that to even to be considered a possibility.  Maybe they should all go to group therapy or something.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Neemo or anyone, does anyone know the exact terms of their current recording deal?  How many albums do they still owe to the label?

the rumor going around for years was that in the late 90's an extension was signed to their orig recording deal, This extension included a Double Live Album, a GH Package, and 3 new albums of orig material, in exchange Axl got a huge advance

...the initial plan was for CD to be released in 99 (I think, read the chinese whispers for the actual info) and then that fell through because  they wanted live era out of the way first to close that chapter of Guns....then things happened and eventually Geffen forced the reelase of GH Because Axl hadnt followed through on the deal....so of that rumored contract now the GH and the DbL Live Album were fulfilled, now with CD out we know more negotiating has been done and i have no idea what those negotiations involved... but as far as i had ever heard the rumor was as stated above...which leaves 2 more albums of orig material to be released

so thats the reasoning behind my arguments above big_smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

you guys seem to be forgetting that Axl refused to promote the record. The slate may be clean for the last 13 years of costs but Axl took a big old corn filled dump on his employers by refusing to do his job.

Intercourse wrote:

A poster on Velvet Rope who claimed to be close to the band said a video for Better would never be released as all attempts were rejected. he also said that Axl is sulking and not expected back for 'a couple of years' where a reunion will be his only option.

I'm starting to think this is true.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a reunion is his only option. I've been saying this forever.

BUT... that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Axl's recent comments lead me to believe they're no where close, and yes, maybe the poster is right, maybe Axl needs a couple MORE years off. Maybe #20 will hit that point, where he finally discovers that he was not entirely right, and he NEEDS to reunite.

He doesn't have the guts to do it though.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Is Skewerl off the hook yet?  If not why is this Johnny Firecloud (who is either his mate or an alias of Skewerl) posting this stuff?  Surely it can't help his case and would just anger the GNR camp more if he is telling tales.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

All I'm interested in is the music. If there's some development where Axl handed over more than CD to Uni and is willing to unload it without trying to create a decade of hype, then its the absolute best case scenario at this point. Whether people love this album or not, he got the chinese monkey off his back and must certainly be a relief to him. I hope it brought him some sort of closure or whatever it is he was looking to achieve with this record.

If he's willing to increase his musical output and actually capitalize on his immense talent instead of wasting it, then I am first in line on release day regardless of any bullshit drama that leads us to that music.

Sky Dog wrote:

thank you.....in the end, that summarizes my thoughts exactly.

Sky Dog wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Mad,
It's a 53 page thread on the Rope, it's in there somewhere. I may not have much to do buddy but I don't have that little to do!!

no it wasn't and you took the entire thread out of context....

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I see what you're saying Nemo but for me it's not about how it did, it's what happened upon release.

Do you think they would plough ahead with driving the GNR brand if Axl made it be known that he didn't think he had it in him to promote the albums the old fashioned way?

Will Axl even allow that?

I'll admit it's strange that the album was released 2 months ago and Axl hasn't done one interview aside from his online chats, and the band hasn't made any appearances.  We really don't even know who would be making those appearances if they had them scheduled.  Unconventional to say the least.  BUT, Axl did say that interviews, promo, etc. was scheduled intenionally for later down the line when there's a possible re-issue of CD. 

Now of course Axl also said the "Better" video would be out in a week or so a month ago, so he's proven that you can't exactly take his words to heart.  So who knows if any of that stuff comes to fruition, but Axl seems to think/hope that's the way it will go.  Or at least that's what he wants the fans to believe.

Board footer