You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Comparing Axl Rose to the greats

James wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Not sure how we got onto this topic but... I love 2 Matchbox albums, and like their middle one alright too. If I were making a rock band from any and every musician around today I might have Rob Thomas front it.

I wouldn't let him front it, but I'd sure let him write a few hit singles.:butt:

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Not sure how we got onto this topic but... I love 2 Matchbox albums, and like their middle one alright too. If I were making a rock band from any and every musician around today I might have Rob Thomas front it.

I wouldn't let him front it, but I'd sure let him write a few hit singles.:butt:

Very true.  He's never been much of a frontman.  You'd need someone who knows how to play a crowd, and is more charismatic than him.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Saikin wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Very true.  He's never been much of a frontman.  You'd need someone who knows how to play a crowd, and is more charismatic than him.

gimme your heart, make it real, nah forget about it 16 i dunno they did alright, and had their 15 minutes...though i think that santana song did more for their career than anything

they did a cover of cyndi lauper's time after time when i saw them and that was their best tune of the night. they were matchbox 20 at the time and thier CD was already out with their 1st single, long day or whatever it was called.

anyway I sure agree with russctb....we're supposed to be talking about the greats here 16

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

As I am reminded frequently, "great" is an opinion.  wink

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Their 15 minutes contained a diamond album and 3 albums, all with singles that were in the top 10. Push, 3 AM, Bent, If You're Gone, Unwell and for a very short time Bright Lights.

nugdafied wrote:

I think AFD era Axl trumps them all. It was as close to perfection as anything I've ever witnessed. The best name, the best band, the best songs, etc....... The man still gets a free pass 20 years later, despite numerous lame public moments. Who else gets that? And the reason he gets that free pass is because, deep down, everyone knows he was the absolute shit of all time for a brief period. Not to many of those guys walking around.

Sky Dog wrote:

I know I am old and out of touch when Matchbox 20 comes up in a "greatest" discussion...:haha: No offense to anyone, but, that guy and band, hit singles or not, aren't rockstars....by any measurement. Pure pop poop!:butt: Just my opinion obviously.

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I wanted to resume this discussion we were starting at the temp site. Where does Ax truly fit in the history books when comparing him to people such as Lennon, McCartney, Robert Plant, Jim Morrison, Brian Wilson, etc.? Besides factoring in timeless legends, does Axl and his resume deserve to stand next to more modern artists such as Chris Cornell, James Hetfield, Eddie Vedder, Cobain,etc?

Cornel, Veddar, and Cobain should never be mentioned in the same breath as Axl, Plant, L&M or Morrison. Axl was the last great rock star and none of the modern day frontmen can hold a candle to Axl.  Look at it like this, you take any of those modern day people and have them not put out  an album or just one song in 10 years you really  think anyone would care? NO, but with  Axl good or bad he always gets press, that is more than you can say for any of those other artists.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

If Cornell had disappeared right after Black Hole Sun and still hadn't released anything, yes there would be interest. Don't blame Cornell for the fact he wanted to continue his career and release music. Cornell went from an extremely talented yet underrated band that got mixed into the grunge label but had success to a critically acclaimed solo career to fronting one of the most successful supergroups in history. He did all that without blinking an eye.. He didn't need 10 years to decide whether a song was worthy of being released.

I agree with your "last great rock star" label, but you don't need to diminish other artists accomplishments when giving him that label. Cornell has an incredible resume. I don't even know why I'm defending the guy because his resume speaks for itself.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I'll have to admit, I don't know much about Cornell...but if he was taht great, you'd think I would know.

Board footer