You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Chinese Democracy starts - never?

RussTCB wrote:

removed

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

now we're just making things up to entertain ourselves...lol

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Geeez, I remember in 2006 specific threads about

A. Axl possibly ditching the "Chinese Democracy" title
B. A Trilogy release, spaced out over 9mo's - 1 year apart
C. An April/possible May release of "next year" (ie. back then it was for 2007)

It's like the same shit just regurgitated into 1 All-Inclusive post.

you stole the words right outta my keyboard 16

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
elmir wrote:

Apparently, in the brazilian issue of the Rolling Stone, Marc Canteris quoted as saying that one of the problems is that Merck never renewed the album deal last year, thus making it very hard to deal with the record company.

If this is the case, then why the fuck don't they just go somewhere else?

I think whoever is stating this is paraphrasing. I don't think verbatim this is what went on.  You wouldn't "renew" a recording contract?!  He obviously owes them at least 1 album, otherwise the label would not have given him an advance AND he could go to a different label also.

He might have said Merck never "renegotiated" the deal (ie ask for more money, higher royalties, forgive the $13 mil advance). In which the label can say "No" and GnR's still under contract with them and cannot go somewhere else. Possible mix-up in the translation.

IF the rumours are true and he's having 3 albums material recorded, it will all come out at Universal or he/another company will have to pay A LOT for this. Universal won't finance albums that would come out somewhere else. No way.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
russtcb wrote:

As I already posted, I agree that it this is obviously total BS.  However, it does bring up an interesting question: Do all of us agree that ditching the CD title would be ridiculous?

Yeah, the name can't really be changed at this point. It would be suicide. Had he changed it a few years ago, it might go over. Not now. Its gotta be CD.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

On the other hand, the CD name comes with a good of deal of baggage. It is certainly the Great White Whale of albums, the mythic punch-line of countless of industry jokes. I fear the name itself will attract criticism and force many people to consider it as music 'produced for 15 years', even while we might know the album's been overhauled more than once over the years. I agree that using any other album name would be short-sighted and would rob the release whatever dignity it still might have left. However, the problem remains that CD is going to be a name with a lot of prejudice.

I could live with the album being self-titled.

The music and the band would be "Guns N' Roses". Axl could turn the joke around and start saying that CD is still around the corner. S/T could still feature CD, I doubt that would matter. The band would liberated from the CD stigma and, depending on S/T's reception, people might still be interested in hearing CD itself and would consider it in a more lenient manner.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

the dirt
 Rep: 3 

the dirt wrote:

Sic, I totally agree with your thoughts on the amount of baggage attached to the CD name and tours. Iv'e always had a suspicion that an album called "CD" will never come out. It'll (whatever "it" is) will be called something else. The CD era and saga can very well be looked upon as a failure. Not to mention the irony of the title itself; just a big joke.

sic. wrote:

I could live with the album being self-titled.

If this were to happen it could possibly be the biggest insult to the band's legacy ever.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but hasn't CD been called just "the album" by Axl since 2002? All the references to CD in 2006 I think were from the interviewers etc.

Board footer