You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Pick one song....

PaSnow wrote:
war wrote:

good lord, Pa.

Who.... me??

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Von wrote:

There Was a Time

Agreed. A big move to the electronic zone (compared to the old material), yet it has above-the-top guitar solos and great lyrics. A huge song, I absolutely love it.

Thirded.

Definitely There Was A Time.

Bloated, self-indulgent, classic GN'R-type track, that although the lyrics don't sum up the process, the overall production and feel truely represents what Chinese Democracy was all about imo to Axl. It's Axl doing what he does best. The song, musically, also has a 'timeless' feel. Something very absent on most of the record.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

IRS.

I agree with this, most straight forward rocker on the album, but still different enough from the orig guns to give a good sample of what to expect...

though i'd also seriously think about catcher, maddy, street of dreams and there was a time ... depending on who i was playing it for as well would deterine what track to play for them ... if that makes sense

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

Not that I would choose this particular song for everyone, but I did play "If The World" for one friend and she absolutely loved it.  So much in fact that I bought her the CD for her birthday, which happened to coincide with the release date.  She promised me a full review, although she seems to have an Axl Rose complex with her promises.  She's reviewed the first 4 songs quite favorably, and obviosly loves the 5th as well.  Haven't gotten the rest of her review, though she did say she really liked about half the album and absolutely hated one song.  Still waiting to find out the half she really didn't enjoy and the one song she hated.

I'd take this more seriously Faldor had she liked it so much so that SHE bought the album herself. Not so much so that YOU bought the album for her. Sorry dude. I'm just saying. I have to kinda agree with PasNow. If it's been two months and she hasn't given you her thoughts on the entire second half of the album? That usually means she doesn't care for it.  We could be wrong though and maybe she's just trying to eloquently put her thoughts to  words one way or the other. But alot of people have a hard time saying they dislike something they know someone else loves so.......

Anyways I'd use Better. It's got Axl's recognizable voice, it's good a catchy rythem to it, good melody it has a fresh sound to it and it rocks pretty hard. I don't see any other song that combines all aspects of the album in one song the way Better does.  Other than that I'd pick Sorry. Sounds the most modern to me yet has that old Gn'R bite to it. Anything else is just asking for peopple to dislike the album. At least from what I've seen. People like Better, the rest not so much. But then again my friends and people I know  don't count which I complete forgot about. Still haven't botherd trying to sell or introduce the album to random people I meet on teh street. tongue

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

Not that I would choose this particular song for everyone, but I did play "If The World" for one friend and she absolutely loved it.  So much in fact that I bought her the CD for her birthday, which happened to coincide with the release date.  She promised me a full review, although she seems to have an Axl Rose complex with her promises.  She's reviewed the first 4 songs quite favorably, and obviosly loves the 5th as well.  Haven't gotten the rest of her review, though she did say she really liked about half the album and absolutely hated one song.  Still waiting to find out the half she really didn't enjoy and the one song she hated.

I'd take this more seriously Faldor had she liked it so much so that SHE bought the album herself. Not so much so that YOU bought the album for her. Sorry dude. I'm just saying. I have to kinda agree with PasNow. If it's been two months and she hasn't given you her thoughts on the entire second half of the album? That usually means she doesn't care for it.  We could be wrong though and maybe she's just trying to eloquently put her thoughts to  words one way or the other. But alot of people have a hard time saying they dislike something they know someone else loves so.......

Anyways I'd use Better. It's got Axl's recognizable voice, it's good a catchy rythem to it, good melody it has a fresh sound to it and it rocks pretty hard. I don't see any other song that combines all aspects of the album in one song the way Better does.  Other than that I'd pick Sorry. Sounds the most modern to me yet has that old Gn'R bite to it. Anything else is just asking for peopple to dislike the album. At least from what I've seen. People like Better, the rest not so much. But then again my friends and people I know  don't count which I complete forgot about. Still haven't botherd trying to sell or introduce the album to random people I meet on teh street. tongue

Oh I don't doubt she would've never bought the album herself.  After I played her the "If The World" demo though she did want to know where she could get a hold of the song.  Since it wasn't available to purchase at that time I sent her the demo.  But you're right, I'm about 99% sure she wouldn't have bought the album on her own because she liked that song.  I bought the album for her since she liked that song and since her birthday was on Nov. 23rd.

As for her not commenting.  I'll agree, it's a little ridiculous she hasn't given me more than a 4 song review so far.  I've pricked and prodded plenty to get more out of her but to no avail.  She keeps telling me she's too busy, yada yada yada.  She's always been like that though, so I don't think she's not responding because she doesn't care or she doesn't like it.  She's said she really liked it.  It's possible she could be lying, but she's not the type of person to hold anything back.  She's about as honest as they come.  I honestly think she's got a lot in common with Axl.  She promised me one song review a day, that lasted 4 days.  She actually missed 3 days but gave me 3 in one day.  And that was about 3 weeks ago.  Like Axl, she works on her own timetable.

I just texted her and she promised she'd try to get me more reviews.  Of course I wouldn't be surprised if we got the "Better" video first.

I asked her if she still listened to CD and she said it's on her iPod and she listens to it when she goes to the gym, but the Mama Mia Soundtrack has taken the top spot on her playlist.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Olorin, if all I heard was Madagascar I would have never bought CD, listened to it, or gone to a GnR concert ever again. I'm consistently shocked to find people liking it the best out of all these tracks.

I think I would play If The World, although it's not strong lyrically, it (along with Sorry) really shows off the new line-up and sounds like something the old band couldn't have done, and I think thats very important.

Madagascar has lost some of its luster over the years for me too.  I enjoyed it back when I first heard it, EIGHT years ago.  I still love the performance of that song at the 2002 VMA's, despite the questionable performances of WTTJ and PC in that montage, I think they did a great job with Maddy.  I was quite excited at what the future had in store when I saw that performance.  But as I heard more and more songs, the further down the list Maddy slipped for me.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

There Was A Time

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Madagascar is a wonderful and underrated track, that I think would've blown away in 1998.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The definitive version of Madagascar will always be the Rio 2001 performance. Anything else regarding that song pales in comparison to that and the song shouldn't have been on the album.

On topic, Sorry is the only song I would play to someone as an introduction to this album. I like other songs, but that song would be more likely to cause them to give the whole thing a chance.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

The Rio 2001 performance of Maddy is a let down because Axl's voice is too fucked up.

I just can't get into that version because of it.

If you could take 2002-Axl's vocals, and put it on that 2001-instrumental, it'd be perfect. If The World-voiced Axl sounds great on that song, but the 2006-07 throwback rasp doesn't work at all, which ironically is what made the album as the lead-vocals, with the 2002 stuff as the backing vocals. I love Madagascar, but when I listen to the studio version I kind of get pissed, because I hear all of these lovely, beautiful vocals from Axl, muffled by re-recorded raspy vocals, that throws it all off.

All I can assume is that Axl was trying to do for Madagascar what he did for November Rain. Sing it shitty, so the audience can sing along more to it on the radio, so they feel like they can sing it.

Board footer