You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: The Gloves are off, I have to know.....

bigbri wrote:

To me it's isolated, although I don't hate it. Robin does a better job on Better than anyone else on that song.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm not "anti- Robin". He gets the job done on other songs, but should not have been put in the driver's seat on this track. His best work in my opinion(2002 version of The Blues) never even made it on the album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Robin sucks

I'm not afraid to say it. It's freeing, try it.

And yes, I love Bumble. I think Bumble should've gotten a shot at the This I Love solo, yes I freakin' do. I think he would've owned it.

CD's problem, at least with alot of guitar fans is nothing on the album has that bluesy soul that Slash brought. Period. Nothing. But what they don't understand is they're looking for a sound, not a style. Bucket is a fabulous guitar player, and I like Ron too. But Bucket's sound is more of a funk meets speed metal type of sound. The groove not being there is Axl's doing - imo. It's just not the type of record CD is. But Bucket is a great player, and a better technical player than Slash.

This album's biggest problem is it's got BELOW AVERAGE guitarists in the biggest roles - lead (Robin) & rhythm (Paul/Richard).

You're coming off of fucking Slash & Izzy Stradlin for God's sakes. These guys were doomed for failure, they couldn't help it.

As for Better, that song is starting to get on my nerves, just for the fact people love it so. The guitar work is NOT that good folks. Robin stands out? Really? The only person that stands out to me is Bucket, because that mid-section with the "I never wanted you to be so full of anger..." is fucking mean.

At this point, I honestly feel that I wished Axl had met Ron in 1998.

James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:

I'm no expert either but I really don't get why people hate Robin's TIL solo so much.  Sounds fine to me, and sounds like it fits pretty well too.  I have heard so many people say they dislike it though, so I must be missing something.  Works for me though, so that's all that really matters.

I cant speak for everyone, but the song does a great job at building up to it. You expect a killer solo to jump out, and then you're hit with a huge 'what the fuck?' moment.

This song would have been light years better with a 'Earth Heals Herself' type solo, and Bucket could have provided that with ease.

This I Love is a great song, one of the highlights on CD... BUT... I agree you can't help but to wonder what the song would've been in more capable hands. Ron I think could've brought something good (even though I know you ain't crazy about him James)... but we all know the 800-pound gorilla in the room. The song is aching for Slash. And this is coming from a new band fan. It's aching for Slash, and if they couldn't get him (obviously), then maybe Brian May could've taken a stab at it. Hell, he's the KING at sappy piano ballads like that. It sounds like a Freddie Mercury song to begin with.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

You bitches are crazy. Robin was fantastic on the album. And his TIL solo reminds me of Pink Floyd. It's not pretentious or trying to be over-dramatic, and you gotta admit, the song is over-dramatic... and it could've easily been a cheesy mess in someone elses hands. The solo fits the song perfectly.

Yeah, I don't get why people dislike the solo in This I Love either - to me it's the highlight of the song.

But I don't want anymore drama so I'll just save the rest of my words.

well I hate This I Love,my honest opinion of the song is that it just simply sucks,and I have no idea why,I like most of the other songs tho,and that's a good thing because before I really could take it or leave it,so after listening to the album again I realized it's an ok album and there's no need to bitch about it anymore.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
CrimeSlunkScene wrote:

Yeah, I don't get why people dislike the solo in This I Love either - to me it's the highlight of the song.

I agree with this and the posts that hate the solo.  The solo does suck and it's the highlight of the song.:beer:

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

not a fan of this i love either

as for robin;s guitar work...sometimes it's like hes in a losing battle with his guitar...he's just not a fluent player to me, its all choppy and shit, but i actually like a few things he does on the album...

as for shredding players and their talent...well its an incredible talent to me to be able to play so fast, but it doesnt mean that they are a great guitarist...there is some work i like and some i hate on the album from both bucket and bumble, the shacklers solo doesnt really do it for me but i think it fits the tone of ths song as set by bucket

Sky Dog wrote:

If the World has a great mellow Bucket solo....it fits the song perfectly as does his solo's on Sorry, TWAT, and IRS.

As for This I Love, obviously Slash or Bucket could have nailed it. However, Finck's really isn't that bad after the first ten seconds or so. And, as I have stated before, Axl said he wasn't even going to release or properly record TIL and Robin and Caram talked him in to it. Thus, I think Axl "gave" the solo to Robin for that reason.

buzzsaw wrote:

The solo does suck and it's the highlight of the song.

Hilarious.

Board footer