You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: The Gloves are off, I have to know.....

-D- wrote:

Why people think that just because a guitar player can play 45 notes in 3 seconds, that makes them a great guitar player?

When I listen to CD, I hate the guitar playing on probably 75 percent of it. Its nu metalish for the most part and the solos are just a bunch of yanking off that really adds zero emotion or heart to the songs.

I hear people on GNR forums all the time heaping praise on this guy or that guy and quite frankly, a guy playing or tapping 20 notes in 1 second does not impress me. It is great for sideshows and wowing people a la David Blaine, but musically it sounds like a bunch of angry bees.

Emmit Smith of the Dallas Cowboys formerly ran a 4.6 40 yard dash and is the all time leading rusher. by GNR fans rationale, Trung Candidate *Who? EXACTLY* is a superior greater running back just because he runs a 4.2 40.

Guitar playing is not about speed, is it about what u create, how u play it and how u convey that emotion in a way that penetrates and moves the listener.

the fast show offy stuff is cool the first time u hear it, but after about the 10th time, u just really want a nice kick ass heart thumping balls filled solo that kicks u in the teeth.

I am a complete music listener and with CD I do not get a full musical experience.

axl's vocals,lyrics and melodies are close to a 10 but the rest of the album is a 6 or 7.................. poor riffs, solos that are cool and flashy but outside of TWAT and Sorry and maybe I am forgetting a couple, but for the most part, they just don't take the song anywhere. its like, hey u, here is 30 seconds, show off as much as u can.

its like fucking without the orgasm, u don't get that big payoff on a guitar solo that makes it not a time space filler.

the drums on CD are an afterthought, u have to pay close, full attention to even truly hear what is being played most of the time, half of it sounds like a kid using fruity loops on his laptop

I kept it in my car for the last couple of days and to be honest, i had to take it out today, I would start on CD and skip, skip skip till it landed on CD again............................

I then put on Boston's "More than  A feeling" and then it really hit me what is missing on CD. It just lacks that lively feel. U can tell CD was labored over every night and so compressed and copy and pasted that it is very robotic and tight. but so tight it stifles out the magic and the groove.

CD has NO groove at all. it is very mechanical.

I know half the people will write this off as some GNR hater, Slash lover, Some stuck in the 80's dude.

that is fine.

GNR are still one of my all time fave bands, one mediocre album will not in anyway dim my fandom.

I can just no longer lie to myself and other posters trying to be the "Good Guy"  blind zealous follower that we think "WE" have to be to prove our fandom.

I know my love for the band, which is why I have to be honest.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

i love the solo on shacklers. its perfectly fits the mood of the song, just psychotic and frantic. Its like i envision somebody in that moment of being pushed past the breaking point and whipping out machines with the intention to slaughter. love it.

Robin's solos in better, SOD, and this i love are not exactly speed exercises and I tend to like them very much. i love his slides and bends.

bucket solo in IRS makes the song...maybe that isnt saying much.

Riad i'm not a huge fan of, bumble or bucket. I guess this is what you mean by yanking off.

I don't know. I like the solos, but i understand your point. That being said I don't think all of slash's solos on the old material are that great. I'm sitting here trying to sing solos from songs like Think About You and Shotgun Blues and Bad Apples and I honestly can't even remember them.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Well, when you're looking for something, you will find it.

You didn't mention Robin's Better solo. That's not shredding, or the This I Love solo, or the Madagascar solo or the playing on If The World, or the Street of Dreams solos.

Yes, there is shredding. There always has been in GNR. Not every Slash or Izzy or Gilby riff or solo is an emotional epic that adds to a song.

Frankly, I don't think your main question applies to a majority of the CD if you add up the solos. I'm not going to do it right here.

As for the rest of your post, I don't really have much of an opinion.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I think referring to Buckethead's playing as "nu metalish" undermines your original point and the argument shifts from taste to not being very educated about different styles of guitar playing. As far as taste is concerned, I don't agree there either. I think emotion is what the player puts into it and what (hopefully) the listener walks away with. Not everything has to be bluesy and use a wah-wah pedal to have soul or depth.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

D, you're just going to have to deal with the fact that you just don't like this band anymore. You might love old GNR, but going by your post, the new version just isn't your thing. I think your feelings go deeper than the album. This "one mediocre album" is who they are now and its who they're going to continue to be. You might love the old GNR but your posts (here anyway) show a great distaste for this band, their music and Axl. It's strange that you've taken it as an insult in the past when people say this.... It is what it is... Music taste is different for everyone... And this just might not be a band for you anymore, man. 

hmm

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

D, you're just going to have to deal with the fact that you just don't like this band anymore. You might love old GNR, but going by your post, the new version just isn't your thing. I think your feelings go deeper than the album. This "one mediocre album" is who they are now and its who they're going to continue to be. You might love the old GNR but your posts (here anyway) show a great distaste for this band, their music and Axl. It's strange that you've taken it as an insult in the past when people say this.... It is what it is... Music taste is different for everyone... And this just might not be a band for you anymore, man. 

hmm

Well said

And I've gotta agree with bigbri and Von, there are plenty of soulful guitar solos on the album.  Maybe in your mind they don't match up to what Slash has done/could do, but they are there.  It's not all speed metal.  Granted this album is quite different than classic GNR, and as misterID said, you might as well get used to that.  I doubt that's gonna change.  That's the direction Axl wanted to go in, if he chooses to revert back to an AFD or UYI type sound then so be it.  But I don't see that happening.  It's evolution my friend.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

its like fucking without the orgasm, u don't get that big payoff on a guitar solo that makes it not a time space filler.

That describes This I Love to a tee. Actually listened to some of this album for the first time in quiet awhile today, and it just amazes me that Axl thought that solo was worthy of that song. Its a pretty good song until it reaches that solo.

Regarding your shredding comment, like others have said there's not really a ton of shredding on the album. Yeah Bumble walks into songs at awkward moments and noodles pointlessly, but I don't think those moments should overshadow everything else on the record. There's some pretty solid guitar work on the album.

If I have any issues with the guitar work, its that Bucket seems to have been 'boxed in' and not allowed to use his talents to their full capability.

You do make a good point regarding the drums. I'm certainly no drum expert, but go listen to Madagascar at Rio 01 and then listen to it on the album. Its like night and day.

faldor

faldor wrote:

I'm no expert either but I really don't get why people hate Robin's TIL solo so much.  Sounds fine to me, and sounds like it fits pretty well too.  I have heard so many people say they dislike it though, so I must be missing something.  Works for me though, so that's all that really matters.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:

I'm no expert either but I really don't get why people hate Robin's TIL solo so much.  Sounds fine to me, and sounds like it fits pretty well too.  I have heard so many people say they dislike it though, so I must be missing something.  Works for me though, so that's all that really matters.

I cant speak for everyone, but the song does a great job at building up to it. You expect a killer solo to jump out, and then you're hit with a huge 'what the fuck?' moment.

This song would have been light years better with a 'Earth Heals Herself' type solo, and Bucket could have provided that with ease.

faldor

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
faldor wrote:

I cant speak for everyone, but the song does a great job at building up to it. You expect a killer solo to jump out, and then you're hit with a huge 'what the fuck?' moment.

This song would have been light years better with a 'Earth Heals Herself' type solo, and Bucket could have provided that with ease.

Yeah I hear you, it works fine for me.  Are you just not a fan of Robin's playing?  Or is it just that solo?  The reason I ask is because, like I said, I've heard so many people slam that solo and I just don't get it.  So I wonder if it's an anti-Robin thing or if it's just an isolated incident.

Board footer