You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: GNR among top 20 best selling records of 08

BLS-Pride wrote:

AC/DC, METALLICA, GUNS N' ROSES Among Top-Selling Albums Of 2008 - Feb. 16, 2009
AFP reports that AC/DC's "Black Ice", METALLICA's "Death Magnetic" and GUNS N' ROSES' "Chinese Democracy" were among the top-selling albums of 2008 globally, according to new figures from the London-based International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), which represents the recording industry worldwide.

Top 20 best-selling albums of 2008 globally, according to IFPI:

01. COLDPLAY - "Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends"
02. AC/DC - "Black Ice"
03. Various Artists - "Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack Featuring The Songs Of ABBA"
04. DUFFY - "Rockferry"
05. METALLICA - "Death Magnetic"
06. LEONA LEWIS - "Spirit "
07. AMY WINEHOUSE - "Back To Black"
08. Various Artists - "High School Musical 3: Senior Year"
09. LIL WAYNE - "Tha Carter III"
10. RIHANNA - "Good Girl Gone Bad"
11. MADONNA - "Hard Candy"
12. BEYONCE - "I Am... Sasha Fierce"
13. PINK - "Funhouse"
14. GUNS N' ROSES - "Chinese Democracy"
15. BRITNEY SPEARS - "Circus"
16. JACK JOHNSON - "Sleep Through The Static"
17. IL DIVO - "The Promise"
18. TAYLOR SWIFT - "Fearless"
19. JONAS BROTHERS - "A Little Bit Longer"
20. Various Artists - "Camp Rock"

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

That's interesting, I havn't been following sales but it seems everyone on here has been suggesting they were bad...to be in the top 20 acts worldwide can't be too bad to me.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

not many rock artists up there, so its a pretty good placing IMO smile i see he sold more than Kayne as well 16 and they only had a little over a month to place 14th 9

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

That's interesting, I havn't been following sales but it seems everyone on here has been suggesting they were bad...to be in the top 20 acts worldwide can't be too bad to me.

Like Axl alluded to in Billboard, the sales in the US have been bad, or at least less than expected.  Worldwide though, they've been pretty solid overall.  To be in the top 20 of 2008 and only to have been out for 5 weeks out of the year, that's not too bad.

It just goes to show you how different US Sales are opposed to the rest of the world, though I realize both ACDC and Metallica have sold very well here.  But Taylor Swift has been a top seller in the US for sometime now and yet GNR tops her in worldwide sales.  Also, that Lil Wayne album had the largest first week sales of the year in the US yet it just cracks the top 10. 

I'm sure more promotion would've helped album sales in the US, BUT I think it's safe to say that no matter how well it was promoted GNR is bigger overseas than they are back home.  Or at least the fans are more forgiving or accepting.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

for a band that didn't try to get out there it's damn good.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They must not count Itunes or other online sales because there's no way Rihanna could be that low on the list. Rest of the stats look solid but that sticks out like a sore thumb.

That Rockferry album sucks dick, and not in a good way.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

That's interesting, I havn't been following sales but it seems everyone on here has been suggesting they were bad..

From country to country, they are bad. Specifically in the two big markets(US and UK). Its when you add them all up that the sales aren't too shabby.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Considering the fact the album wasn't pushed at all... that's not that bad.

And to see Coldplay at the top of any list... *puke*

AtariLegend wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Considering the fact the album wasn't pushed at all... that's not that bad.

And to see Coldplay at the top of any list... *puke*

In the UK several classic rock stations played the album in it's entirety... on the day it was released.

...Such as "Mojo", "Planet Rock" and "Absolute Radio". Another station "Kerrang" went on about alot too, even though their policy was to slate it.

BBC Radio's I + II also had several segments during their more popular programs about it around the time of  it's release. So over here it wasn't hard to know about it, yet it still fell out of the charts pretty fast.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Sorry, didn't see this was U.K. based. I was thinking U.S.

Board footer