You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Itchy GTR
 Rep: 5 

Re: GN'R showing signs of being labeled an "epic fail".

Itchy GTR wrote:
Neemo wrote:

that was our error itchy...there was a glitch and we lost almost 30 hours worth of forum changes...your account was one of them...our appologies smile and welcome

Hey no problem. I'm glad we have a G&R community for the vintage and new rock & rollers. We need it more now than ever before!!!!!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Saikin wrote:

There's no way this album has a chance at an AFD style response.  No way.  AFD was culturally significant.  It was very much of it's time.  Chinese Democracy is about Axl.  It won't be culturally significant the way AFD was, even if they promote the hell out of it. 

Like James said, if GNR had done this right (like U2), there would have been a significant increase in sales.

With all due respect Saiken, you have the benefit of hindsight perspective. It's very hard to predict these things...one things for sure...it does take someone doing something way out of the ordinary for his/her time. although some say the sound is 'dated,' I think we all can agree that it is different.

I do very much enjoy the album and still listen to it. I have my favs (Prostitute, TWAT, This I Love, Sorry). I think if you expected 10 million copies sold in the first 3 months, you were only fooling yourself.

There is something to be said for this way of conducting business...he's letting the music speak for itself. I highly doubt that many albums sell the way that the used to anyway. The days of 15 million albums sold is probably over, anyway.

Saikin and you both make good points. Imo, this has nothing to do with hindsight, this has to do with common sense. Even industry people KNEW that GN'R was cutting edge and of the time in the late 80's, it was their blacklisting by MTV initially, which was CORE for success in the U.S., that was holding them back. Thus, when they played Jungle, it took off like a rocket.

GN'R is walking into, or walked into I shall say, with a legendary brand name, a legendary status, and a 'love' by default, just for being Guns N' Roses, even if it is just Axl. The album's non-success can be contributed to a lack of promotion, mainly, but it still doesn't beat the fact it's a dead duck and they know it. That's why there's been no interviews (with actual music journalists I mean), no promo, no more singles, no video, etc.

In the iTunes world, you catch immediately, or you don't catch. CD whiffed at the plate concerning commercial success, just the way it is. You go sit your ass on the bench, and try to get back at 'em the next at-bat you get. But sitting in the dugout, making excuses for every reason under the sun as to why you struck out is counterproductive, and smack of unprofessionalism.

Oh, and to all those thinking this album would rise from the ashes like a phoenix, simply with heavy promotion & a tour this summer... keeping dreaming. It might help boost some sales, but it's mainstream popularity is gone. Once the audience gets a whiff of a really egg-laden sulfuric fart, there's no winning them back.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

mmmm....sulfuric farts.

Axlin08 wins the award for "Best use of Egg-laden sulfuric fart" in a post.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Saikin wrote:

There's no way this album has a chance at an AFD style response.  No way.  AFD was culturally significant.  It was very much of it's time.  Chinese Democracy is about Axl.  It won't be culturally significant the way AFD was, even if they promote the hell out of it. 

Like James said, if GNR had done this right (like U2), there would have been a significant increase in sales.

With all due respect Saiken, you have the benefit of hindsight perspective. It's very hard to predict these things...one things for sure...it does take someone doing something way out of the ordinary for his/her time. although some say the sound is 'dated,' I think we all can agree that it is different.

I do very much enjoy the album and still listen to it. I have my favs (Prostitute, TWAT, This I Love, Sorry). I think if you expected 10 million copies sold in the first 3 months, you were only fooling yourself.

There is something to be said for this way of conducting business...he's letting the music speak for itself. I highly doubt that many albums sell the way that the used to anyway. The days of 15 million albums sold is probably over, anyway.

It really isn't so much hindsight as it is Marketing 101.  The more you promote, the more you sell.

I was never expecting this to shatter records or go platinum the first day of release.  But there really was no way this album was going to be culturally significant in 2008.  It's true that he's letting the music speak for itself, and for no promotion having been done, it actually sold pretty good I'd say.

Board footer