You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The Howard Stern Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

I think these days, Howard is extremely disillusioned with the radio industry, and entertainment in general.

He only re-upped for the money at this point. His heart's been out of it for years, and frankly I don't blame him. Morning drive talk radio is on the out's in favor of going back to a more music "hit with you a song, then another, then another" format and most morning talk radio shows have already had their shows trimmed by 1-2 hours, forced into playing more music the time they are on the air, and most likely their contacts won't be renewed when they come up for renewal.

Satellite radio was another MASSIVE bust. I still think they've yet to turn a real profit, and what they do make gets lower and lower each year, as does their shares.

It's all about the Internet these days. You gotta pimp the shit out of your show, throw it up on the internet for free, then sell it on-demand to your fans. But you've gotta work work work.

Most radio guys just aren't willing to do that...

I'd say there's some truth to all of that, but for what it's worth, I think the show's been *really* good lately.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Well, Howard announced this morning that he has signed on to be the newest judge on America's Got Talent.  They start taping in February.  Damn him!  Now I have to watch that god forsaken talent show.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art … b38a16830d

Howard Stern named judge on 'America's Got Talent'

By FRAZIER MOORE, AP Television Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — Howard Stern will be joining the judges' panel on "America's Got Talent," and the NBC summer talent show will uproot itself from Los Angeles to accommodate the New York-based shock jock, the network said Thursday.

NBC confirmed weeks-old rumors of Stern's selection to join fellow "Talent" judges Howie Mandel and Sharon Osbourne. Nick Cannon remains host.

Stern, whose daily radio show airs on Sirius XM, is replacing Piers Morgan, who left "Talent" after last season to free up his busy schedule. Last winter, Morgan launched a weeknight interview program on CNN.

"Howard Stern's larger-than-life personality will bring a thrilling new dynamic to 'America's Got Talent' starting this summer," said Paul Telegdy, NBC's president of alternative and late night programming. "He's a proven innovator and his track record in broadcasting is truly remarkable."

The Parents Television Council, a watchdog group, wasted no time condemning NBC's choice on Thursday.

Its president, Tim Winter, called hiring Stern "an act of desperation for a flailing network," and slammed Stern as "a performer who is synonymous with shock, profanity and obscenity."

"Talent" bills itself as TV's only such competition show that is open to any age and any talent. Auditions for season seven began in October in major cities nationwide. But now, with Stern aboard, production of the live broadcast of the show will relocate to New York.

Stern, who in 2005 took his long-running syndicated show from terrestrial radio to Sirius XM, signed a new five-year contract with the satellite-radio company a year ago after months of stormy negotiations.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

AGT seems to be better suited for Howard, but obviously if he wanted the money and "headliner grabbing" job, he should taken the Idol job. Although I don't know if they ever formally offered, did they?

faldor

faldor wrote:

As far as I know they did not make him an offer, and I don't think they even talked to him about the gig.  That was more media speculation.  Howard says he enjoys AGT more because it's more diverse.  American Idol is all singing and Howard said he'd blow his brains out if that's all he had to judge.  The thing about taking over on AGT is, there's nowhere to go but up.  Yes it was the #1 show, but that's not exactly tough to do in the summer when nothing else new is airing.  American Idol has been the #1 show, or near there, for some time.  It has tailed off a little in recent years but there's really nowhere to go but down there.  So that could be an appeal to join a show like AGT.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Richie Sambora was in earlier this week to promote his upcoming solo album.  Some interesting stuff

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

That was a really good interview, and I've always thought Richie was underrated. I love hearing anyone in that band talk about their relationship with Jon- he's definitely running that whole show.

I heard most, but not all of it, and it's old news by now, but I've never heard anyone talk frankly about Alec John Such leaving. I've always considering that somewhat akin to Jackie leaving Stern- talk about setting off for browner pastures.

I also heard his new single on the way in to work today. It's not bad- it's very  modernish, but throws some good guitars in. I'll buy it to show support, but it's an mp3 only buy for me right now.

Finally, Sambora in KISS? Imagine that.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Bah- I guess he was fired for substance abuse and general suckitude. I guess it's been a long time since I went looking for that info.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Was several different things;

Bon Jovi has a HUGE rule not to discuss personal stuff or air dirty laundry in public and Alec did this big interview talking about how Jon says he sucks and all sorts of stuff.

but Alec basically got where he couldn't carry his weight on tour. He'd fuck up over and over etc.

little known fact, Alec didn't do much studio work in Bon Jovi post Slippery the guy in the band now Hugh McDonald actually played a lot of the bass work on the albums.

Board footer