You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION Raise Pandemic Alert Level

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

What it reminds me of is that Stephen King short story where the world gets so dumb that people eventually are even unable to spell...

The irony of this is staggering coming from someone who wrote "are leaders" when he meant "our leaders" earlier in this thread. 516

Sorry, James. You walked right into that one. 19

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Man this stuff scares me. I remember watching a doco on Pandemics...i think it was a bonus feature on the "I am legend" BD. Freaky stuff.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Mr. Lofton, do I have to make the Burt Gummer reference again?

Dude, not everything is Def Con 4.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
Saikin wrote:

I'm sorry, but this stuff isn't really that scary.  It's more of a media thing right now than anything.

Those deaths don't equal how many people die of the regular flu each year, and yet we don't shut down our border to that.

Similar things happened with bird flu that are happening with swine flu.

Not really. The big difference with the bird flu is that so far it cannot be transmitted from human to human although there is always the possibility that it will eventually mutate. The swine flu can be transmitted human to human which makes it a more serious threat. It's just ignorant to write it off because of the bird flu when they aren't the same thing.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

What it reminds me of is that Stephen King short story where the world gets so dumb that people eventually are even unable to spell...

The irony of this is staggering coming from someone who wrote "are leaders" when he meant "our leaders" earlier in this thread. 516

Sorry, James. You walked right into that one. 19

14 Yeah I walked into it, but instead of irony, I think I was subconsciously trying to prove a point. tongue

Not everything is Def Con 1 either.

I think when a contagious illness is floating around that no one knows much about and its spreading, its a cause for concern.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I'm somewhat of a germophobe and obviously have an interest in this topic.  I don't think the government has done a good job of telling the nation about swine flu.  Is it safe to eat pork?  Serious question.  I think I heard somewhere if you cook it thoroughly, it should be safe to eat.  What makes swine flu different from the regular flu virus?  I hate whenever there's a potential pandemic outbreak and when the symptoms are listed they mirror the normal flu symptoms; so you really can't tell whether or not you have it.  Unfortunately, I have some of the symptoms and I think it was because of a sinus infection (I get a bunch of those--deviated septums SUCK).

Raising the threat level doesn't really do anything to educate people.  I equate it to that stupid color coded system used by Homeland security.  They'd raise the thing and tell people to be vigilant--whatever that meant.  To a minimum they should be giving out more details just to soothe the fears who think they have swine flu.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I fully agree with you here.

A lot of this is media fabrication.  Could it get bad?  It very well could.  But that doesn't mean that certain people in the media were right all along.  It just means that their doom-saying came true to an extent.

I'll agree that it's not a laughing matter if you have it, but the fact that a lot of people are shitting their pants over this is.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

It's supposed to be safe to eat pork. It's being transmitted from human to human contact.

The biggest difference between the regular flu and the swine flu is the swine flu is killing young and otherwise healthy people which is not the case for the regular flu. With the regular flu it's the elderly and extremely young children that are most at risk to die.

2008 Intentions
 Rep: 6 

-im in Mexico, the situation is like the movie 28 days later, fucking really.

We dont have a lot of info (Tv sucks), and we dont know what we should  do.

2008 Intentions
 Rep: 6 

Everybody is in home, I went to a store to buy food and I see 5 guys only, this is real scary, my family and friends always says in the msn "This is like a zombie movie"

One of the "surreal" reasons for this is

The Sinaloa cartel want to say to the mexican goverment "We Rule"

Board footer