You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

Re: WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION Raise Pandemic Alert Level

mickronson wrote:

ive been with some pigs in my time but I think im fine.

It aint as bad as it sounds anyway..  The 2 from over here who were infected are doing ok

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

You reference King and don't even mention The Stand

14 Yeah, pretty fucked up The Stand completely flew over my head. The reason that short story entered my head(which I don't remember the name of) is because of how our society reacts to such serious things like potential pandemics, but will glue themselves to their tv to watch some 50 year old virgin who is nothing but a manufactured media craze sing.

Dumbing down of the dumb indeed.....

His greatest book

Thats certainly debatable. It is an epic story and no doubt one of his best, but I think The Tommyknockers definitely gives it a run for its money.

I always preferred his short stories even though around 80% of his work is impressive. Nightshift and Skeleton Crew are must reads, even for people who don't really like King.

Everybody is in home, I went to a store to buy food and I see 5 guys only, this is real scary, my family and friends always says in the msn "This is like a zombie movie"

Stay safe, and you'll be in our prayers. Has to be really eerie being at "ground zero" of this developing crisis, and even though most of the world seems to be laughing about this, there are people out there that do care and are concerned about what's going on.

AtariLegend wrote:
Bono wrote:

Classic line on that page;

"Do Russian parents love their children?"

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

2008 intentions - best wishes to you, be safe.  Take every precaution and ride this out.

Flagg - At least Vegas has hookers I hear, lol!  The Stand was one of my favorites as well.

Lofton - "The reason that short story entered my head(which I don't remember the name of) is because of how our society reacts to such serious things like potential pandemics, but will glue themselves to their tv to watch some 50 year old virgin who is nothing but a manufactured media craze sing. Dumbing down of the dumb indeed....."

Isn't that the truth and isn't it scary?  People have turned into cattle who just like to be lead and fed.  No thought processes are necessary and only the id is important.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I still think people are of the same intelligence and empathy that they've always been. A lot of people like to think of the past in terms of historical figures, usually distorted versions of historical figures, and forget that common people like ourselves have always been stupid and lazy. I think free thought is about as prominent now as ever before. And prejudice is down, which is cool.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
strat0 wrote:

I think I may actually have this. A bit scary. Went to orlando last thursday, got back sunday. everyone on the trip got sick and now on the local news here in Tallahassee (about 3 hours away) They think there may be a case in Orlando now...

Dude, you still living?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James Lofton wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

You reference King and don't even mention The Stand

14 Yeah, pretty fucked up The Stand completely flew over my head. The reason that short story entered my head(which I don't remember the name of) is because of how our society reacts to such serious things like potential pandemics, but will glue themselves to their tv to watch some 50 year old virgin who is nothing but a manufactured media craze sing.

Dumbing down of the dumb indeed.....

His greatest book

Thats certainly debatable. It is an epic story and no doubt one of his best, but I think The Tommyknockers definitely gives it a run for its money.

I loved The Stand, but it's not my favorite.  That title goes to his magnum opus, The Dark Tower.  I called The Stand his greatest because it is his best seller as well as hailed by critics (whatever that is worth) as his best.

The Tommyknockers is one of the few books of his I haven't read.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I still think people are of the same intelligence and empathy that they've always been. A lot of people like to think of the past in terms of historical figures, usually distorted versions of historical figures, and forget that common people like ourselves have always been stupid and lazy. I think free thought is about as prominent now as ever before. And prejudice is down, which is cool.

I have to agree, to an extent, with this sentiment. 

James, don't lump me in with people who watch reality tv (I don't by the way, in fact, don't even watch a lot of tv at all).  Also, the fact that I don't see this as a pandemic when compared to other things in no way means that I am part of the herd mentality or am being 'dumbed down.' 

They have a cure for this.  They have done DNA sequencing on it and find that it isn't even close to the 1918 virus.  Those two things added up do not make it a pandemic.  Look at the stats of how many people die of the regular flu, or what about TB, or how about hunger?  What are those then?  They have to be way worse than pandemics since way more people die of them than have died of swine flu. 

People haven't been turned into cattle.  People have always been cattle and will always be cattle.  Not everyone can be the leaders or the people who step outside of their own personal safety nets.  It's been that way forever.  It's not going to change.  There will always be institutions in place that keep the status quo this way.

AtariLegend wrote:

I wonder what happened to "polluxlm", I would've imagined him going on about this.

2008 Intentions
 Rep: 6 

thanks for the prays

Board footer