You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The Miss California controversy

Axlin16 wrote:

I put this in Hollywood Boulevard, because it's a 'Television' event

The day after Carrie Prejean was told she could keep her Miss California crown, Shanna Moakler has resigned, she confirms to Usmagazine.com exclusively.

"Since the press conference yesterday, I had a chance to think about what has taken place, and I feel that at this time it is in my best interest to resign from the Miss California USA organization," Moakler tells Us.

"I cannot with a clear conscious move forward supporting and promoting the Miss Universe Organization when I no longer believe in it, or the contracts I signed committing myself as a youth," she continues. "I want to be a role model for young women with high hopes of pageantry, but now feel it more important to be a role model for my children. I am sorry and hope I have not let any young supporters down but wish them the best of luck in fulfilling their dreams."

Miss California USA pageant director Keith Lewis told Us in a statement: "Shanna has, and will continue to be, a large part of my life. Although I am sad she has come to this decision, I will always respect the convictions that brought her to this place."

Prejean, 21, first ignited controversy at the April 19 pageant when she told judge Perez Hilton that she believed marriage should be between only a man and a woman, igniting a cultural debate. The runner-up said her answer cost her the crown.

Prejean later announced that she'll be launching a campaign opposing gay marriage with the National Organization for Marriage.

Shortly after, Moakler announced she was appearing in new ad supporting gay rights. She shot a print ad April 28 slamming Proposition 8, the initiative that bans gay marriage in California.

On Tuesday, pageant owner Donald Trump announced Prejean would keep her crown despite failing to reveal she had posed in her underwear as a teenager.

(Prejean said the pictures were leaked to humiliate her because of her anti-gay marriage views, calling it a "vicious and mean-spirited" attacks. Even more photos hit the web before Trump's press conference Tuesday morning.)

On Monday, California pageant officials announced that Prejean violated her contract by lobbying on behalf of an anti-gay-marriage group and by failing to reveal that she had posed in her underwear as a teenager.

They appointed Tami Farrell, her runner-up, as "Beauty of California Ambassador" to fulfill any duties that Prejean might not be able to carry out.

Source: US Magazine

Now I don't really pay attention to any of this, nor do I really care about pageants at all. Usually a bunch of fake, plastic, really lame ass women, hot, but lame. Well this pageant is really no different. It's kind of the same thing on a bigger scale.

I just felt like ranting about this issue making the news.

1) Perez Hilton, which has FAR too much attention, went out of his way to sabotage this girl. He should've NEVER asked the question he asked. With these pageant's, they should keep it simple. Granted someone could sit back and say, that's boring, ask these dumb chicks more hard-hitting questions, put them on the spot. Well, true, but I don't think the people that DO watch these contests are looking for that sort of thing. Ask them, "what do you think about the situation in Darfur?"... "I think it's really uncool"... bam, there's a question. But when you start asking hot topic issues in America, it's just unneccessary. You're not vetting someone for President, it's simply a stupid fucking contest

2) Now I say this as someone who is Pro-Gay Rights.... this Prejean girl has gotten totally railroaded. The amazing thing is that all of the people who booed her, or are asking for her head, are the same ones that have voted, privately, against gay marriage, but somehow because she speaks her public opinion, and backs it up for the reason why (even thought it's REALLY weak and cliched), she gets slammed for it. Now one could say, "yeah, but isn't this the real test of her strength. To make it through this controversy", yeah, true, but it should've never happened in the first place. And to think this thing has Perez Hilton's name on it, is even worse. He's probably a representation of everything that most gay people DON'T want to be represented by. I've known many gay people, and VERY VERY FEW of them, have ever had the whole "Big Gay Al" schtick that Perez has, and usually the ones that do, are simply opportunists.

3) Isn't it the most massive hypocrisy that Shanna Moakler, someone who 'was' over the pageant, can appear in PRO-gay rights organizations, but if Prejean associates herself with ANTI-gay rights organizations, she should be stripped of her crown, and have her name dragged through the mud. Even though I totally disagree with Prejean's position, I still can see the hypocrisy here.

Finally with that said, even though I feel that the homosexual community is going to have to become more vocal and more active and pushing gay rights through, such as national protests, boycotts, etc. similar to the civil rights issue, I do not feel that a Perez Hilton going after Miss California, and a pageant overseer resigning, really is going to make a dent. It's going to have to become political, not social. You leave it in the hands of the people, it'll get struck down, because the majority of people by far are massive ignorant bigots. Let's go back 50 years, and say to the Southern U.S., "let's leave civil rights a state's issue"... well if we do that, blacks will never have civil rights.

Anyways, I just had to get that off my chest. I guess this thread can now sink to the bottom. 16

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

At first I could care less, and felt well the girl said "SHE is against gay marraige, and SHE believes marriage should be between a man & woman." I may be wrong, but she didn't say she wants "gay marraige banned" or feels "gay marraige should not be legal in the US". So people were jumping on her too harshly & jumping at her words. Like you said, just ask softball questions. I think I heard the girl after her or the girl who won was asked something like "What would you do to make the world better?" Perez Hilton was & is an opportunist as well, showing faux outrage over it. "OMG Miss California said she's anti gay-marraige.. how dare her!!"  WTF??!

Then a few days ago, I saw a press conference clip of this chick.. and man, you talk about missing the boat on a few things. Wow!  She said something like "I am not going to sacrifice my right to free speech, that my grandfather fought so hard for." Honey... this isn't about "free speech". You were given "Free speech"  Seriously, "Free speech" is used soo out of context by people in this country it's ridiculous. "Free Speech" means the government can't arrest you for most things you say. It doesn't mean the public or any one individual can't be outraged or ask you to take back something you said. Anyway, whole different issue. But yeah, she was just this whiney WAHHHHHH beauty pageant girl who needed to shut up.  She entered the pageant, she put herself on display, it didn't come to her.

So now I'[m back to where I started, I could care less.

AtariLegend wrote:

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

To have Perez Hilton involved with anything is a joke. I agree Perez Hilton shouldn't have asked that question. He is just trying to promote himself and his own agenda. The thing that bothers me the most about ths controversy is that it gets him more attention.

I have not really followed the whole thing, but was there really a lot of moral outrage over her comments? It seemed like when I'd see it talked about on tv most people would say while they don't agree with her stance they felt there was nothing wrong with what she said. I remember even a gay man called into one show and wanted nothing to do with Perez and said he wasn't bothered by her comments.

I am pro gay marriage, but wasn't really bothered by her comments. I didn't realize she went as far as preparing to launch a campaign against gay marriage. I think that was a poor decision. If people didn't view her as bigoted as first this will definitely make people think otherwise. It also comes across almost as if she is thumbing her nose at everyone because they slammed her views.

I am not sure if there is a hypocrisy there between her and Moakler only because it states she violated her contract. I don't really follow these pageants, but it seems these women are looked to as some sort of ambassadors so my guess is their contracts may prevent them from associating with hateful groups. So I can see why there is an issue with her associating with an anti-gay marriage group while its acceptable for Moakler to be associated with pro-gay rights groups.

Part of me thinks Moakler needs to get over herself, but I guess I can kind of see where she is coming from if this girl violates her contract basically associating with a bigoted group and gets to stick around anyway.

As for the photos, I am not sure they are just to embarrass her due to her views. I am sure it makes her more of a target, but they likely would have been leaked even if this controversy didn't happen and she won the pageant.

I agree about it having to be political.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

This really is quite silly.

She clearly states that what is good about america is that people end up with the rights to choose what they want to do, but that her personal belief is that marriage is a hetrosexual thing.

In my book people should be entitled to their own beliefs. She is entitled to feel it's best between men and women only, and likewise, Perez is entitled to feel she is wrong and it's best with man/man or whichever he is into. The only problem comes if people start taking actions on their beleifs and hurting one another, but the actual question was what does she personally believe...and that was the answer.

She could say "I believe marriage is best left between an Alien from Mars and Elmo from the Muppets" and if that's just as valid an answer. We live in a society where people are alloud to believe whatever they want. They may not be aloud to take actions on those beliefs (for good reasons) but she has the right to think whatever the hell else she wants.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Funny how someone saying marriage should be between a man and a woman ignites a "cultural debate".

Chris Cornell said it best....

Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load....

I'm sick of this hypocrisy era. If Liberace conventions can be held across the country advocating gay marriage, this woman can speak her feelings on the issue as well.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

It's the dumbest controversy ever.

myillusions
 Rep: 5 

myillusions wrote:

I'm very proud of Carrie Prejean for standing up for her beliefs and not backing down and giving the politically correct answer. FUCK THAT!

It also shows how much hatred and intolerance trolls like that judge have in this world!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Let's not get crazy.

'Pro Gay Rights' is not politically correct. In fact, it's very very far from that. The majority of the country is anti-gay rights. So let's not act like Prejean is some sort of tough chick standing up against the crowd. All she's doing is agreeing with the crowd.

There's nothing ballsy about that.

As for hatred and intolarence, Perez Hilton might be an opportunistic douche bag, but he has a perfectly given right to be intolarant to Prejean's beliefs, as do I, or anyone else. She's a new age bigot. No matter what her stupid grandfather told her. All gays are asking for is the same rights that are provided to EVERYONE. They're not asking anyone to give up anything, just make it equal. But there seems to be a real problem with that, and I see these anti-gay rights people now turning the tables around, and saying that if you are not tolorant of their bigoted views, that somehow you're being intolarant.

Gays are born gay. Bigots choose to be. And even if their "religion" says so... religion is still a choice.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

And of course the folks who would call press conferences about "gay rights" are the first to attack the girl for stating her beliefs, which I might add are NOT the least bit bigoted at all.

I could care less about pageants, I have no interest in those things. But this non-sense that if you oppose gay marriage and believe marriage should be defined as between a man and a woman means you are a cold mean-hearted bigot has got to stop.

By that logic, I am a bigot I suppose.

Board footer