You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Trent Blasts Axl In New Interview

Axlin16 wrote:

It's amazing all of these fans equating popularity with the word 'good'.

Speaking of popularity, didn't CD go gold, while Trent has resulted to having to give his albums away for free, because that's the only way people will take them.

Carry On 22

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Ghosts I-IV, a totally label-free, instrumental album that was promoted for less than a day before release sold over 750,000 downloads in one week and made the band a cool 1.6 mil in that timeframe. The $300 package sold out in under 3 days. Again, this is without a tour, without a video, without a single, without a vocal track, without a label. It hit #14 on the Billboard 200 despite all these 'disadvantages', was the most purchased mp3 download off of Amazon in 2008 and the 4th most listened to album of the year at last.fm.

Yeah, NIN really has to give stuff away for free, don't they?

Don't mistake acts of generosity towards a fan base as desperation.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Not only that, but The Slip was Top 20 and it had been released for free like 2 months before CDs and LPs hit the shelves.

I'd love to see any band besides NIN release an album for free and then chart with the physical product long after the initial buzz is already dead.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

They did, it was GN'R and the album was Chinese Democracy. 14

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I realize that's a joke(sort of), but I guarantee that Chinese Democracy does not chart in the week following Nov. 23rd if it had been available for free on the official site starting Sept. 23rd.

A sliver of proof is the MASSIVE decrease in plays of CD during the 3 days it streamed on Myspace before release. It was like an 80% drop from CD to Prostitute, yet you think this would have improved with a two month window instead of 3 days?

GNR simply doesn't have the type of set up that NIN has. Whether you love or hate NIN, there's no denying what Trent is capable of in this musical climate.

Axl should have had Trent be in charge of promoting it instead of Beta and Fernando.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Chinese Democracy is the joke.  Who is talkin about it but us.  Axl forgot about it as quickly as the public

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I realize that's a joke(sort of), but I guarantee that Chinese Democracy does not chart in the week following Nov. 23rd if it had been available for free on the official site starting Sept. 23rd.

A sliver of proof is the MASSIVE decrease in plays of CD during the 3 days it streamed on Myspace before release. It was like an 80% drop from CD to Prostitute, yet you think this would have improved with a two month window instead of 3 days?

GNR simply doesn't have the type of set up that NIN has. Whether you love or hate NIN, there's no denying what Trent is capable of in this musical climate.

Axl should have had Trent be in charge of promoting it instead of Beta and Fernando.

Yeah, I hear you. What I meant was that almost all hardcore fans, and quite a few casuals had most of the album in either leak or live form sitting in their car stereo since at least 2006.

I'm actually shocked that CD sold anything, let alone going Gold, in a climate that anyone that wanted to hear it has already heard it short of a few songs, and with downloadin' mother fuckers all over the place.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Not only that, but The Slip was Top 20 and it had been released for free like 2 months before CDs and LPs hit the shelves.

I'd love to see any band besides NIN release an album for free and then chart with the physical product long after the initial buzz is already dead.

Let's not forget Radiohead started this whole thing with In Rainbows where it was free if you wanted it. In Rainbows came out physically months later and went Gold. Of course, it is a much better album than The Slip (in my opinion).

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

While I won't compare NIN to Radiohead because that won't accomplish anything, the release of In Rainbows appears more revolutionary than it was. It was a good idea but it got botched by the band or management or something. In the end it was a disservice to their fans.

Sky Dog wrote:

being a Radiohead fan......no it wasn't. I paid $2 for a great album and alot of people paid nothing. It gave the band massive free publicity and literally shook the entire industry to it's core. Trent just played off of that and tweaked it a little. Radiohead also did really cool internet only shows from the studio (the Scotch Mist stuff). To me, Trent just jumped on THEIR bandwagon. He did not and has not revolutionized anything-just my opinion (and I am not criticizing him). neutral

Board footer