You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Holy Shit Fuck! Chickenfoot's Cd Is Awesome!

James wrote:

The entire lineup of Chickenfoot couldn't hold Cornell's jockstrap. Haven't heard the whole album yet, but the song I heard was typical Hagar cheese dipped in mediocrity.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Hope you guys are right about this album. Couldn't find it here in oz so i've ordered it from amazon but wont get it for like 4 weeks. lol.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
skippy wrote:

Never liked Soundgarden.  Sorry.

Me neither. Don't feel alone.

Covers his eyes and points to the door. "Both of you leave now"

Sad to say, but I didn't really "get" Soundgarden or Superunknown at the time it actually came out, as I only really heard of them by Black Hole Sun, which of course is probably the worst song on the album.

But now, I regard Superunknown as what of the greatest rock albums ever. Fucking awesome album. 9

Back on topic, I think I'll definitely have to check out this Chickenfoot album too.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The entire lineup of Chickenfoot couldn't hold Cornell's jockstrap. Haven't heard the whole album yet, but the song I heard was typical Hagar cheese dipped in mediocrity.

Interesting you say that James, as the "BadMotorFinger" Soundgarden title was an homage to Hagar's "BadmotorScooter" in Montrose, and Chris Cornell has openly admitted that Hagar was one of his big influences.

Listen to the old Montrose CD's and then listen to Cornell's singing in Soundgarden.  It's almost a tribute.

I know, I know...Hagar is huge cheese at times, and his lyrics are HORRIBLE, and I don't like alot of his work, but I think this stuff is good.
Not groundbreaking, but really a pleasant surprise for Van Halen/Hagar fans, given the less then musically inspiring solo career the guy was having post VH, and the subpar output on the last several VH written collaborations with any singer. (For the past 13 years!!!)

I agree the first single was a bit standard, but there is some good deeper cuts on this one.

The sound on it also doesn't sound compressed, digital, and shitty, it sounds warm and the band really is the best part.

Give a few tracks a listen.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

That asshole Eddie is one of the greatest guitarists of all time.  He did things that are still amazing.  Just because he started writing pansy music doesn't mean he doesn't have the talent to be at the level he used to be.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

you really cant pidgeonhole grunge and write it off. go listen to Facelift by AIC its got some of the best riffs of the era. I Know Somethin Bout You, Sea of Sorrow, and It Aint Like That are some great riffy tunes.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

Eddie "was" one of the greatest guitarists of all time.  Dude has serious, serious issues now.  Almost to Axl's level.

His playing level has slipped tremendously on the past two tours.  Very sloppy and he won't stop playing with the sustainer.  His substance abuse issues have been at the forefront of his playing and decision making for quite a while now, it's debateable whether or not that dude has brain damage at this point.

Alice in Chains did have some great riffs.  The original grunge guys did do some cool stuff.  I just didn't like the 2nd wave/copycats/hair metal bands trying to cross over and whatnot.  Longterm, I think it did some damage by removing some of the over the top excesses, showmanship, and glitz, that the average suburban white teenage male used to love about rock/metal, but now has to find in rap.

I'll have to post the Jerry Cantrell/Sammy Hagar/Bob Weir jamming in Tahoe bootleg I have.  Interesting stuff.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I know about the Montrose reference, and Cornell's singing does not sound like a tribute to Montrose. Montrose may have been an influence, but so were a shitload of other 70s bands.

As far as Hagar goes, was never much of a fan. I don't like his voice that much, and he's a terrible songwriter. My favorite Van Hagar song is Finish What Ya Started, which just so happens to be the only Van Hagar song that sounds like a Roth era tune.

I remember listening to 5150 when I was a kid as well, but didn't give two shits about the band when Poundcake hit.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
skippy wrote:

Eddie "was" one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

Eddie IS one of the greatest guitarist players of all time.  PERIOD, a couple bad years and issues means nothing...it's his body of work that makes him one of (if not THE BEST) guitarist's of all time. As long as he is living "was" doesn't work.

skippy wrote:

This CD is killer!  Better than anything Hagar did with Halen.  More rockin', less gay keyboards, not so many awful "love" lyrics.

Apparently you only listened to the "hits" then.  Sammy's work with VH shined on tracks like "Sucker in a 3-Piece"/"Humans Being"/"The Seventh Seal"/"Source of Infection"/"One Way to Rock" (w/VH not solo)/"A.F.U."/"5150" and "Mine All Mine"...notice NON of these are the "awful" love songs?  BTW Skippy I'm not picking on you just disagree with that statment "BETTER THAN ANYTHING HAGAR DID WITH VAN HALEN".  I DO agree that the love songs were for the most part SHITOLA however.  Personally I STRONGLY prefer Roth over Hagar music-wise in VH.

I just got the new Chickenfoot by the way...well..."eh".  So far I found one song I really like "Down the Drain".  I'll have to hear more to make a fair call but as of now it's only mediocre.

BTW.... Alice in Chains and Soundgarden WERE the last great bands to come along.  13

Board footer