You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Michael Jackson Discussion

PaSnow wrote:
Bono wrote:

and yes even Gn'R

No need to bring GnR into this. They're not even close to MJ's stratosphere. The one thing people don't see abou thim & his music, is a real black man wrote this. Not Lenny Kravitz, not Prince, not Slash, a fucking guy who should be blacker than Kobe Bryant with a full on afro. But because of his skin bleaching, and hair job, he seems white or half white. Listen to Beat It, and just picture a black guy, with full on afro, singing that song. He had soul, could rock, could dance like a motherfucker, the dude could bring it.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

One thing about his music that I'm sure alot will disagree with me on,  is it all sounds dated. As great as it was for the moment it hasnt stood the test of time in my opinion. It sounds like 80's pop fluff. Better than alot of the 80's fluff? Sure maybe but honestly his music to me is far from timeless the way The Beatles, Elvis and yes even Gn'R and U2's music sound.

Laugh all you want but AFD sounds as fresh today as it did back then. Throw on The Joshua Tree and it still sounds fresh. Elivs and the Beatles have a  tiemless quality to them.Those are justa  few examples. For me MJ sounds like 80's pop muisca nd nothing more.  The music doesn't  bridge generation gaps. It's music from an era in  time and that's it in my opinion.  Listening to it in 2009 it's all about nostalgia and not so much the lasting appeal or quality of the music. Don't get me wrong I can understand he was a major influence and he was a mega music star but for me I was never a fan, nothing he ever did appealed to me other than the  Moonwalk and yes I grew up in the 80's.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The vids added to the cheese. That Bad video is vomit inducing. He thinks he's "bad"? Really? Liberace walking through downtown Compton would have been more intimidating.

HA!  C'mon James, Mike was bad.. Just not bad in a back alley type bad. Bad as in multi-talented & a show stopper, could steal the show. 22

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Bono wrote:

and yes even Gn'R

No need to bring GnR into this.

Let's use our brains here and comprehend that in no way was I suggestion Gn'R are in MJ's startosphere.

tejastech08 wrote:

LOL.

But the thing about "dated" music is that it applies to pretty much every artist. Elvis' music is very dated, some of U2's stuff is very dated, most of GNR's stuff is very dated. Some of the Beatles' stuff (their bubble gum pop crap from the early 60's) is very dated too.

You obviously don't understand what I mean by dated.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

One thing about his music that I'm sure alot will disagree with me on,  is it all sounds dated. As great as it was for the moment it hasnt stood the test of time in my opinion. It sounds like 80's pop fluff. Better than alot of the 80's fluff? Sure maybe but honestly his music to me is far from timeless the way The Beatles, Elvis and yes even Gn'R and U2's music sound.

Laugh all you want but AFD sounds as fresh today as it did back then. Throw on The Joshua Tree and it still sounds fresh. Elivs and the Beatles have a  tiemless quality to them.Those are justa  few examples. For me MJ sounds like 80's pop muisca nd nothing more.  The music doesn't  bridge generation gaps. It's music from an era in  time and that's it in my opinion.  Listening to it in 2009 it's all about nostalgia and not so much the lasting appeal or quality of the music. Don't get me wrong I can understand he was a major influence and he was a mega music star but for me I was never a fan, nothing he ever did appealed to me other than the  Moonwalk and yes I grew up in the 80's.

You throw Billie Jean on in the club and people will dance their asses off to it. To me I think plenty of his music is "timeless" (whatever the fuck that means LOL) but the unfortunate thing about MJ is the people he influenced: N'STINK, Spears, Backstreet Boys, etc. He was much better singer/songwriter than them and he could blow them completely off the stage when it comes to dancing. Reminds me of how Zeppelin was the major influence for hair metal.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The vids added to the cheese. That Bad video is vomit inducing. He thinks he's "bad"? Really? Liberace walking through downtown Compton would have been more intimidating.

HA!  C'mon James, Mike was bad.. Just not bad in a back alley type bad. Bad as in multi-talented & a show stopper, could steal the show. 22

Well, the image being portrayed in Bad and Beat It didn't really go with who he was. Might have seemed cool to a certain extent at the time, but really came off as tacky.

It was basically his way of trying to flaunt masculinity that was clearly contrived.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:

Thanks for making me laugh. 

Throw on a Beatles, Elvis, or early U2 record and it sounds dated.  The U2 albums that don't sound dated are the ones released after 2000. 

Like James said, when people look back on the generation of the 80's, Michael Jackson will be playing in the background.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Jackson's music is definitely timeless.  Listen to Billie Jean (for instance)
compared to MOST songs that came out during the time, it holds up.  But hey...800,000,000 record sales is probably just a fluke, there was no essence to the music he made!16.gif

I will be fair however, U2 is also one of those groups that do stand the test of time.  Elvis does too if you get rid of the cheesey stuff.  Songs like "If I Can Dream" are so powerful they transcend.  The same can be said for GNR with songs like Estranged and even Sweet Child, It's So Easy and My Michelle.  Don't get me wrong you can "peg" all these songs from the era they come from but they don't come off as "man what was I thinking back then" the way crap by some flash in the pan would.  Poison anyone? lol

AtariLegend wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Throw on a Beatles, Elvis, or early U2 record and it sounds dated.

Bono wrote:

Let's use our brains here and comprehend that in no way are U2 in The Beatles stratosphere.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Throw on a Beatles, Elvis, or early U2 record and it sounds dated.

Bono wrote:

Let's use our brains here and comprehend that in no way are U2 in The Beatles stratosphere.

Oh snap! Don't get Bono started...:haha:

Board footer