You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: Michael Jackson Discussion

Gunslinger wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I believe Michael, Elvis & The Beatles not only all deserve to be mentioned together but that they stand together in a category all by themselves.

I agree, their places in the history of music are solidified and uncontested.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The reason his music wasn't played much on the radio since the early 90s is because of the child abuse allegations. Not because any of it is dated. Take that out of the equation, he would have had radio exposure on almost all formats.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Which did take place. I remember cranking songs like Billie Jean at a time, and practically got booed by people, because the tide had turned, and at the time he was a child molestor, convicted and sentenced in the court of public opinion, before people even knew the facts.

The U.S. turned on him like rabid dogs after that whole ordeal, and the second trial wasn't damaging on him at all. He had already been deemed a child molestor and forgotten for years. I think the album sales for Invincible prove that.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I think the album sales for Invincible prove that.

Never mind the fact that the album only had one classic MJ song on it? 16

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Elvis shouldn't be listed next to the Beatles. Elvis ripped off music from African American rock and roll pioneers and was able to sell it to white audiences because he was white. He had a good voice but he didn't write his own music and his massive success was very much a product of racial discrimination at the time. Elvis was a massive star, there's no denying his popularity. But he's no more legit than Michael Jackson. In fact, I would argue Jackson is more relevant because at least he wrote his own music and he actually has some really great lyrics.

That's a fair arguement and I can definately understand that point of view of MJ being more legit than Elvis. What you're doing though is basically blaming Elvis for being white and being the first to "rip off" black artists.   Is that his fault? Maybe we all owe a huge debt to Elvis for bringing rock n' Roll to the masses.  Was it fair that the African American artists were ignored? Nope. Is that Elvis's fault? Nope.  I don't really think you can say Elvis "ripped them off" either. That's a pretty bold statement. Yes Elvis had writers but to say white people doing rock n' roll were ripping black people off is almost saying white people should've found their own style and left rock n' roll alone.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Janet and the Jackson brothers may tour to pay homage to Michael.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/jan … 8549.story

June 28, 2009 10:18 AM ET

Roger Friedman, The Hollywood Reporter
On the table for consideration is a Janet Jackson/Jackson Brothers tribute tour to celebrate the life of Michael Jackson, according to sources.

The proposal is either that the Jacksons fulfill some of Michael's London shows, or do a U.S. tour where they would perform his hits and theirs with him. Janet would be the star of such a show, substituting for Michael since none of the brothers would be remotely capable of being
the lead performer.

Stay tuned, as this is among many ideas to honor (exploit?) Michael takes shape.

And the word is that at least some or all of the Jacksons may turn up on tomorrow night’s BET Awards live from Los Angeles, hosted by Jamie Foxx. The appearance could be step one in showing family unity.

James

James wrote:

Not surprising at all. Looks like those Jacksons are getting to do that reunion tour they've been wanting for years.

This will happen soon. They'll strike while the iron is hot.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Elvis shouldn't be listed next to the Beatles. Elvis ripped off music from African American rock and roll pioneers and was able to sell it to white audiences because he was white. He had a good voice but he didn't write his own music and his massive success was very much a product of racial discrimination at the time. Elvis was a massive star, there's no denying his popularity. But he's no more legit than Michael Jackson. In fact, I would argue Jackson is more relevant because at least he wrote his own music and he actually has some really great lyrics.

That's a fair arguement and I can definately understand that point of view of MJ being more legit than Elvis. What you're doing though is basically blaming Elvis for being white and being the first to "rip off" black artists.   Is that his fault? Maybe we all owe a huge debt to Elvis for bringing rock n' Roll to the masses.  Was it fair that the African American artists were ignored? Nope. Is that Elvis's fault? Nope.  I don't really think you can say Elvis "ripped them off" either. That's a pretty bold statement. Yes Elvis had writers but to say white people doing rock n' roll were ripping black people off is almost saying white people should've found their own style and left rock n' roll alone.

He did rip them off though. "Hound Dog" is arguably his biggest hit and guess who sang it first: Big Mama Thornton.

Rock and roll started with the Mississippi Delta Blues. You can say that without a doubt if discrimination wasn't around, Elvis wouldn't have been as big as he was. But since he was as big as he was, he could have easily used his clout to point out the history of rock and roll to all the whites across the country who worshiped him. But he didn't. He played it safe and took all the credit. The Beatles did a far better job of pointing out the influence of African Americans on rock and roll. They weren't afraid to say who their biggest influences were and I think that is commendable.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Not surprising at all. Looks like those Jacksons are getting to do that reunion tour they've been wanting for years.

This will happen soon. They'll strike while the iron is hot.

They should get El DeBarge to replace Michael Jackson as Michael Jackson.

MJ impersonator is what that dude is doing these days. 16

James

James wrote:

Thats funny. Even funnier that he was married to Janet before she got big with Control.

I remember Debarge. That song 'Who's Johnny' was all over MTV for a very short period of time.

Board footer