You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

Re: Best album of the 90s- Nominations

jorge76 wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

Tom Waits- Mule Variations

Probably too underground to get any serious consideration for something like this, but I have to say to everyone here:

Check this album out.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

Wow serious lack of respect for Oasis on here. Im gonna presume that's cos' most of you are living stateside their impact in Europe is comparable only to Big Boys impact on Hiroshima

Oasis- Whats the Story Morning Glory

I almost put that one on my list. Like Tyler said, there are just way too many great albums from that decade for each person to hone in on the exact same bands. NIN probably should have made my list, maybe Blind Melon or even Cake, but none of those are better than what is currently on my list in my opinion.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Superunknown - Soundgarden
Grace - Jeff Buckley
Ritual de lo habitual - Janes Addiction
Angel Dust - Faith no more
Automatic for the people - REM
Achtung Baby - U2
Mutations - Beck
Time out of mind - Bob Dylan
Post - Bjork
In Utero - Nirvana
Use your Illusion 1 - GN'R
The Bends - Radiohead
Euphoria Morning - Chris Cornell
Metallica - Metallica

Sky Dog wrote:

oh lord, I knew I forgot one......Time Out of Mind-Bob Dylan.....Lanois producing, drop dead classic. And who can forget the Soy Bomb incident at the Grammy's...classic. Watch Dylan's face! The guy comes in about the 3:00 mark. 14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZwPqeZJYeM

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

AtariLegend wrote:

Every other album that I think is worth it will probably get nominated anyway, so I'm just going to add...

Jeff Buckley - Grace 
Portishead - Portishead
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Radiohead - The Bends

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, just sooo many great albums of the 90's. I think only 2 or 3 from the 00's would be in my list I made for the 90's.

James Sinead would def make my top 10/top 5 songs of the 90's. but not albums. Although admittedly I never really listened to it. Same with Elastica. Don't mean to change the tune but now I recall Sheryl Crow had a really good album in 93/95. I may add that too mine. I have heard New Rads album was really good, I should check that out.

Stephven yeah Oasis wasn't nearly as big here in the states. The first album almost broke through, the 2nd album exploded & was huge. 3rd took a step back. They were no bigger than Dave Matthews here in the states.

alexh0618
 Rep: 14 

alexh0618 wrote:

NIN - The Downwards Spiral
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
Nirvana - Unplugged
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
Green Day - Dookie
Weezer- Blue Album

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
alexh0618 wrote:

Weezer- Blue Album

I think I could make a list on albums I forgot 16  (Weezer, Beasties, MB20)

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Got around to checking some release dates and edited my original list to add some. Hole, REM, Beastie Boys, etc.

Holy shit. Totally forgot the Beastie Boys. They deserve to make it for Sabotage alone. 9 Yeah REM deserves to make it, but which record? REM is like John Mellencamp, Rod Stewart,etc. where they've got a pretty big chunk of blah albums, but those blah albums contain a few tracks that will kick you in the ass.

Gonna have to seriously consider a major edit before this thing gets underway.

I may add John Mellencamp's Whenever We Wanted as well, although being the only person to do so wont get it nominated.

Get A Leg Up?

Love and Happiness?

Now More than Ever?

Listen to those three songs back to back and tell me they don't deserve a spot. 16

I do like Hole, but not enough for either record to even make my top 100. If we were doing songs instead of albums, Doll Parts would definitely make my list.

You wanna know an album that I'm literally in shock because it hasn't been nominated yet?

Cracked Rear View.

I think GNR fans hate it because for a few years in the mid 90s, it eclipsed Appetite for Destruction as the biggest selling debut album of all time. 14

oh lord, I knew I forgot one......Time Out of Mind-Bob Dylan.....Lanois producing, drop dead classic.

Might torrent this for shits and giggles. Highly doubt it makes my list, but I need to get over my dislike of Dylan and just dive in.

Mutations - Beck

Interesting choice Jimmy. I expected Beck to pop up on a list at some point, but was expecting to see Odelay, not Mutations.

James Sinead would def make my top 10/top 5 songs of the 90's. but not albums. Although admittedly I never really listened to it. Same with Elastica. Don't mean to change the tune but now I recall Sheryl Crow had a really good album in 93/95. I may add that too mine. I have heard New Rads album was really good, I should check that out.

This is why I wanted an extended nomination process. So we could all listen to some albums we either haven't heard, or went so many years without hearing.

If you have the time this week, go to Pirate Bay(or your favorite torrent) and download:

Sinead O Connor- I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
Elastica- Elastica
New Radicals- Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too

You may or may not rediscover Sinead's brilliance by a quick listen, but I guarantee that anyone who listens to that New Radicals album will add it to their list. Its a crime that Greg Alexander broke that band up almost immediately after the album was released. This band would be massive now if he had only used his brain.

You guys remember that Santana song with Michelle Branch that was huge a few years back? He wrote it.

Yeah that Sheryl Crow album Tuesday Night Music Club was pretty damn good. I just checked Wiki, and supposedly it sold 7 million in the US. Bullshit. Everyone owned that album. 14

As far as Weezer goes, the Sweater Song kicks ten tons of ass. Can live without the rest.

Board footer