You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: The Wrestling thread

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

The unique comedic chemistry between Heenan and Monsoon, a recap of that week in wrestling, along with an assortment of house show matches.

I miss Heenan and Monsoon on commentary.  Perfect combination of humor, entertainment and making every match have an important feel to it. Heenan was mailing it in when he got to WCW.

James wrote:

McMahon just knew how to run a national promotion. He made it feel major league.

I still can't hardly believe that no NWA wrestlers ever made the rounds to Carson, Letterman, Arsenio, etc.

Just a complete lack of vision, creativity, and competency on Crockett and Dusty's part.

Someone mentioned Vince's creativity or whatever a few posts up.  This is what the guy does (or did) well.  Pushed his company into pop culture status in the 80s and 90s.

misterID wrote:

Vince was still pushing goofy cartoon characters on TV like it was 1988. They had a wrestler called the Goon, who was a hockey player who wore hockey gear and boots that resembled skates, and the poor guy could barely walk in them.

LOL, I remember him.  There was also TL Hopper (may have been 95 though) and Barry Windham coming in as the Widowmaker and Dan Spivey as Waylon Mercy.  To be fair, that one (Mercy) was a lot more interesting and not that goofy, I thought Spivey was just shot and done at that point.  Oh wait, there was also Isaac Yankem DDS (aka Kane).  It's easy to see how WCW was winning the war.  They had  the anti-authority stable in NWO and really just seemed a lot cooler.  Also, I really loved the NWO theme song at that time.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Pushed his company into pop culture status in the 80s and 90s.

Wrestlers like Hogan, Andre, and Savage making the rounds of the talk show circuit, wrestling toys, video game, ice cream bars(DELICIOUS), Hulk Hogan workout set, t shirts, posters, etc.

Even people who weren't fans knew who these guys were.  When WrestleMania 3 happened, my grandma had to come over because she wanted to see Hogan slam Andre.

My grandma cared nothing about wrestling...yet she had to see it. I laugh in hindsight at the thought of a 60 year old woman driving 20 miles to our apartment to watch Hogan slam Andre.

That's the level of reach McMahon/WWF had at the time.

I will never forget the Savage turn on Hogan. On Monday it was the hot topic at school. They were even talking about it in the teachers lounge.

NWA had none of that.

It will forever be a travesty that they didn't have their own line of toys. Even the AWA was able to have a limited run of toys....and that weird deal between NWA and AWA in 85 that only lasted a year is the only reason a Flair action figure got to exist.

They had a few shirts but they didn't promote them and the wrestlers wore them. Ridiculous. They finally sold a Horsemen shirt in the magazines in 88.

How can you not have Flair going on Carson or Letterman? Magnum TA would've been great on talk shows as well.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I totally forgot about a wrestler named PM News who's gimmick was a rapper in NWA decades before John Cena. Man, I love these YouTube vids. My mind was blown when Rick Rude showed up in WCW and became champ. What an amazing wrestler, and so much wasted potential in WWF. I never even considered him as "world champion caliber" in WWF with how they worked him with a weak IC run. WCW did a lot right.

What's funny were the opportunities black wrestlers got in the deep South NWA that they couldn't get in WWF. Ron Simmons had a great run as champ in NWA/WCW. And I thought the tag team DOOM was fantastic. Mr. Hughes was a monster in the NWA who the WWF would later get, but like Vader, had no idea what to do with.

misterID

misterID wrote:

What a swerve, AEW did sign Christian.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Yeah I tried watching the WWE and the lack of r rated content like the attitude era just makes it a neutered product for me.

I fucking hate Tony Schivane(sp), he was always the biggest piece of shit on commentary in the WCW days. So can’t really get into AEW because of that dolt.

Definitely would watch WWE more if Lawler was being used. Always have enjoyed his commentary.

misterID

misterID wrote:

The big issue with AEW is that they have so few new stars that have the "it" factor, though I have to hand it to them for trying to push younger guys. Kenny Omega is a great performer, but is awful on the microphone. It was really cool seeing Tully Blanchard playing heel, but they need a big shot of talent and some good storylines/writers.

misterID

misterID wrote:

We had no idea how lucky we were to watch these two.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Boy you’re not kidding....

If you’d like another pretty awesome match there’s one at King of the Ring 93 that was almost as good.

I also know WWF had good plans for Perfect in 94 and they fell through for some reason. Might have been due to an injury he couldn’t shake.

I don’t recall him ever wrestling for WWF after 93.

I’d take these 6ish foot guys hand over fist over the Hogans and takers in terms of just match quality.

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Boy you’re not kidding....

If you’d like another pretty awesome match there’s one at King of the Ring 93 that was almost as good.

I also know WWF had good plans for Perfect in 94 and they fell through for some reason. Might have been due to an injury he couldn’t shake.

I don’t recall him ever wrestling for WWF after 93.

I’d take these 6ish foot guys hand over fist over the Hogans and takers in terms of just match quality.

That's all addressed in the video above wink

Had no idea there were rumors he was faking the injury. It's pretty clear he was really hurting.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Ahh...the old Lloyd's of London insurance scam. Several of them... including him and Rick Rude were doing it. They'd fake or at least exaggerate an injury,  sit out long enough to get their insurance payout and then come back.

I don't remember how many were in on it but they finally cracked down giving such policies to wrestlers.

Board footer