You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Halloween 3D in summer 2010

apex-twin wrote:

Apparently true.

'Halloween 3D' coming in summer 2010

"Halloween II" may not have won the box office this weekend, but Weinstein Co. is taking a lesson from the movie that did as it prepares a sequel for next summer. The independent studio's co-Chairman Bob Weinstein said today that the 3-D sequel, titled, appropriately enough, "Halloween 3D," is in development.

... Weinstein said Rob Zombie, who directed "Halloween II" and 2007's reboot of the 31-year-old horror series, won't return for "Halloween 3-D." He said the studio is in negotiations with a new director, whom he declined to name, who has experience in horror and has a "different take" on the franchise. - LA Times

As the Weinstein company is up to their necks in debt, the decision to follow up on H2 at breakneck pace is no surprise; it's a part of their 'survival programme', discussed in the NYT article I posted in this thread some time back. They're keeping budgets relatively low, pushing up the gore power and trying to get the fanboys to come back. If played right, the franchise is a surefire moneymaking machine. Too bad they're letting Zombie continously try his hand in killing whatever has so far been tried to established.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I find this absolutely hilarious. I also understand the decision. Like you said, Dimension is in big trouble and they actually shot themselves in the foot by having two of their movies compete with one another at the Box Office. Either Basterds or Halloween should have been delayed a few weeks.

They know Zombie pretty much just killed the franchise, so now are gonna go to the 3D well for a quick buck. I am happy as a pig in shit that Zombie is now eliminated from the equation, but I think major harm has been done to this series. H2 has about the worst word of mouth in the history of film.

I would not be surprised in the least if H3D is either:

A sequel to the original series
A second reboot
A stand alone film

There's no point in touching the Zombie story line at this point.

Whatever happens, this will be thrown together quickly and sold to the public with the 3D angle.

This franchise is in trouble.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Not just Dimension, who were a Miramax subsidiary back in the day and now the genre branch of the Weinstein co - the whole company, complete with the Oscar-friendly department is facing a serious risk of sinking under the Goldman-Sachs debt. It jives well with the Rolling Stone article by the way; GS sold the Weinsteins to their investors as the next big thing, creating yet another 'financial bubble' they're known for.

Obviously, the brothers botched things up royally. The survival programme also includes three new films in the Scream franchise, so we won't be seeing the line of phoned-in continuations trickle down in the immediate future unless the drawing power of films like Inglourious Basterds and H2 is seriously compromised in the box office.

Serious doesn't even begin to cover it. Alexandre Aja's Piranha 3-D (a pseudo-sequel to the Joe Dante / James Cameron entries) was pushed back from a June slot way up to next April, to cover up the postponement of Robert Rodriguez's new film. There also lies a theory - Aja has a consistent track record of an interesting French film (Haute Tension), has dabbled with remakes (The Hills Have Eyes) and now has a finished 3-D film under his belt.

So Aja's definitely a possibility. However, I feel that when looking back at Zombie's contributions to the franchise, he will - to a degree and from a certain point of view - be eventually greeted as someone, who finally had the stomach to throw a lot of things out the window and craft seriously inane, completely demented and expectation-damning entries to a franchise long dead in its tracks. Not saying he did it any favors, but when considering the whole of the Halloweens, his films should be considered as similar ventures as the infamous pt.3; only instead of ditching Michael, he went and completely oversaturated the character.

Already H2 is considered a horror sequel on par with the gleefully insane Exorcist II: The Heretic, only the first part wasn't a horror film classic by any stretch. Maybe, the Zombie films will play out as a wonderful double feature one day, with the audiences scratching their heads when run-of-the-mill formulas are ditched in favor of an all-around white trash showdown, featuring Michael Myers the Hellbilly.

With all of Zombie's shortcomings, I maintain his films (while they have little to do with Carpenter's original) will always stand head and shoulders above most of the sequels for the novelty value alone. It's the Grindhouse version of Halloween, had Carpenter opted to go the exploitation route back in the day instead of focusing on the Hitchcockian aspects. In a world of no-balls modern horror, it's a fun kind of bastard to have around.

James

James wrote:

I don't detest Zombie to the great lengths that a lot of horror fans do. I'm obviously not joining his fan club anytime soon, but he seems at least semi competent as a director(well, in spurts). Its the writing he has massive difficulties with and it's amazing that anything he writes gets a seal of approval.

Had the script to his remake been spruced up, it would have been possibly the best remake yet. He was aiming in the right direction with the prequel aspect, and a different writer would have zeroed in on that, fleshed it out, and removed the trailer trash aspect. Instead it was half baked, and he condenses the remake of the original into about 45 minutes.

Zombie needs to go back to his Devils Rejects stuff. Its his comfort zone so stick to it. Stop destroying well known horror brand names.

Aja is a mixed bag which brings its own problems. While the Hills Have Eyes remake was decent, Mirrors sucked and that was the last Aja film I watched. Haute tension was a damn good film and one of the better horror films this decade, but that twist blew and if he was unable to see that and realize such a thing wouldn't go over well with an american audience, please stay away from american slashers.

The foreign director I want(Chan Wook Park) probably wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole, especially now that the franchise lies in ruins. He also wouldn't insult his own intelligence by using a cheesy 3D angle, so I guess that fanboy vision of mine can go back into hibernation.

Any of you guys watch the Asian horror flick Bloody Reunion? Not a great film by any means, but is pretty much an homage to 80s slashers and completely stands out among typical asian horror, and since director Im Dae Woong was obviously influenced by those films, maybe throw him the Halloween scraps and see what he can do with it.

We're probably going to get another hack because they obviously aren't serious since they're selling it with a 3D angle during opening weekend of H2.

Bring on Uwe Boll for the WINZ@!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

While we're on the subject (sort of), I must say I'm actually on the soapbox claiming Halloween III: Season of the Witch is a wonderful little film, although it should've never been directly linked to the Myers continuum. It has the ridiculous sex appeal by Tom Atkins (who apparently has had an affair with every other female character in the film), the overblown, Spinal Tapish master plan by the evil toymaker (the pitchperfectly cast Old Man from Robocop), nonsensical kill scenes by the 'evil suits' (you'd think they'd find simpler ways to fend folks off), and gags later ripped off by Evil Dead 2 and Austin Powers.

Dean Cundey's scope photography is sweet, there's still plenty of Carpenter / Alan Howarth score to go around, the plot devices are hilarious and within every five minutes, the film just throws another curveball at you, completely out of the left field. One of the more innocent moments has the characters channelsurfing and seeing the Original Shape, Nick Castle, pace down the stairs during the climax of the 1978 film. The subsequent Myers, stuntman-cum-actor Dick Warlock, actually pulls off a delicious WTF moment early into the film.

You can blame Season of the Witch for a lot of things it's not; all those I can forgive as it's not boring. It's not a Michael Myers film, or even your standard horror film. Hell, it's not even a slasher. Even so, between the campy twists and wooden performances, there are scenes of true menace demonstrating a harrowing view of the world, and I hate to say it, but the era of digital technology doesn't turn it all that obsolete when looking at the iGeneration.

It's a hilarious little mood piece that deserves to be rediscovered without the baggage of The Shape.

James

James wrote:

That is a good film, and like you said, would have worked so much better without the Halloween tag. Its actually a very dark, disturbing story that's possibly even more relevant in today's culture of a manipulating media and twittering zombies.

Even though the film is universally shit on, people do like it because every Halloween during my childhood this film was on constant rotation on various TV channels. Watching Halloween 3 on Halloween night was just as predictable as going trick or treating.

I wouldn't be opposed to a remake of that film, but NOT as Halloween 3.

Its too late to veer the franchise in a non Myers direction. Doing so would require an absolutely flawless viral campaign.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I have mixed emotions about this whole thing. One minute I don't want to see it, the next I do, then I don't want to give Zombie my money, now i'm back to thinking about seeing H2.

Here's the thing. Gettin Zombie out of this fuckin' franchise, is the best news since Jamie Lee Curtis coming back to replace the late Donald Pleasence back during pre-production on Halloween 7. Yes, I like many others though Zombie was the savior for the franchise awhile back, but alas, he just shoveled more dirt on it. Are his films H5, H6 & Resurrection? No, they're better, but I wouldn't exactly call them 'good' either.

So that's the good news. The bad news, is once again fast tracking a Halloween III into production, a Halloween 3D no less, becomes the "oh shit" moment. Odds are, with this thing already targeted for release next year, they're gonna go out and get someone famliar with the 3D gimmick, like Aja or the guy who directed My Bloody Valentine 3D (I don't remember), or the director of Final Destination 4.

Another option, not that i'm crazy about it, was that I did read an interview back during the release of Friday The 13th 2009, that Marcus Nispel was interested then, in doing a Halloween sequel. I remember him specifically saying he had "his own idea" of what should be done, with having already did a Chainsaw, and a Friday, that Halloween seemed like the logical next step. Nispel's remakes have also seen box office success too, so that could be a serious option.

With all of that said... were ANY of these films all that good? Seriously? My Bloody Valentine 3D, Final Destination 3D, The Hills Have Eyes remake, Chainsaw & Chainsaw: The Beginning, Friday The 13th, Zombie's Halloween I & II...

I'd love to see a new take on Halloween, other than Zombie's, but at the same time, I don't see anywhere for any of this to go, whether it's the new franchise or the old one. All of it is dead. And with a 3D gimmick?

We'll see, but my expectations are in the fuckin' basement.

As for James' suggestions... my guess is a stand alone film, that totally ignores both the old & new franchises, and also doesn't exist to create sequels. Then they might turn around and just do 3D to cash in the gimmick and bury the franchise for a few years, and then do a Halloween IV that serves as a new reboot for the franchise.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh, and i'm a total Halloween III: Season of the Witch - bitch.

Some days, I kid you not, it's my FAVORITE Halloween film. Typically though, I just cast it under 'favorite sequel'. Wallace's direction is almost just like Carpenter's, the film sets an amazing mood, and the film still holds up for the modern age, including the media manipulation, as well as the seasonal feel of the film. It's the 'perfect' spooky film to put at Halloween time to get you in the mood.

The biggest thing I love about it is Carpenter & Howarth's brilliant, masterful score. One of my favorite recordings EVER, is the soundtrack to this film.

For anyone that likes it, I suggest going out and getting Howarth's 25th Anniversary soundtrack. It double's the length of the old one, and features tracks in the film, unreleased in the original soundtrack.

James

James wrote:

I do NOT want Nispel's hands on this. F13 was a shit stain on this genre and should have killed the franchise but it made money so it will continue, and he remade what I feel to be the greatest film ever made(TCM), and I prefer the prequel over his remake, which tells ya all you need to know about my interest in Nispel.

I wish they had dropped Zombie after his remake. The remake was decent, and a good director/writer could have created a killer follow up to his initial "vision". This is where someone like Park could have blown us away by having a sequel with Laurie stalking Michael while he is stalking her, and then have a mind fuck third act that horror fans would have talked about for years.

Would have also loved to see how Park would have approached the use of the mask, as he is brilliant at making inanimate objects 'come to life' so to speak.

Instead, Zombie destroys his own series and here we are discussing an absurd 3D popcorn flick as Michael's next chapter.

You should definitely watch it. At least download a cam/screener when it hits the torrents.

I would prefer a second reboot in three to five years instead of what we're gonna get.

I definitely gotta go check out FD4 sometime this week. That director like you said is a candidate for obvious reasons.

edit: Just googled it, and here's the guy's resume...

Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco (1996)
Final Destination 2 (2003)
Cellular (2004)
Snakes on a Plane (2006)
Asylum (2007)
The Final Destination (2009)
Humpty Dumpty (2010)

FD2 was a solid flick.

James

James wrote:

Would anyone be against the return of Dwight Little?

Board footer