You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Lily Allen quitting music

James wrote:

Foul mouthed pop pixie Lily Allen has confirmed that she plans to quit music, with the singer having no desire to record another album.

Lily Allen has always been a somewhat reluctant pop star. Her debut album 'Alright, Still' may have effortlessly climbed to the top of the charts on its release in 2006 but the singer seems to shy away from the rigours of touring.

Taking three years to release a follow up, in the meantime Lily Allen recorded a new chat show which was roundly panned by critics and viewers.

Returning to music, Lily Allen released 'It's Not Me, It's You' which enjoyed massive success. Summer anthem 'Not Fair' managed to sneak some fairly badly disguised filth onto the nation's airwaves, before the singer returned to the festival circuit.

An always entertaining live act, Lily Allen recently bemoaned her finances. Revealing to press that she was growing tired of music the singer explained how record companies swallow up any money she makes from her recordings.

Which may explain her recent desire to clamp down on file sharing. A MySpace blog on the subject lambasted musicians group the FAC for their perceived weakness over the issue of internet piracy.

Now it seems that Lily Allen is ready to retire from music altogether. In a (now deleted) message to fans on her blog, the singer revealed that she is set to allow her contract with EMI to expire.

Referring to her campaign against file sharing Lily Allen said: "Just so you know, I have not renegotiated my record contract and have no plans to make another record. I do however remain a fan of new music, so this is not some selfish crusade."

"The days of me making money from recording music have been and gone as far as I'm concerned, so I don't (at this point) stand to profit from legislation (against file sharing). Except future purchases of previously recorded material (which won’t be much)."

There has been no official confirmation of this from Lily Allen's record label.

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/lily-all … ting-music

----------------------

I'm a huge fan of Lily's and It's Not Me, It's You is one of my favorite albums this year, but if she's unable to adapt to the current culture, hurry up and step aside so some other artist can get all the attention you get.

Artists in this era have to realize you don't get to just lounge by your pool and rake in millions of dollars. You have to pound the pavement until your knuckles bleed, and then immediately repeat the process.

If you(or any artist) is unwilling to do that, go fuck off to some corner and rot.

I don't feel sorry for the dinosaur mentality of this industry. I read her blog about this issue before she removed it and she does have some valid points, but she takes the monkeychow/atarilegend approach and blames consumers for everything.

This woman who has talent in spades is gonna sulk and retire because she doesn't sell 20 million records while despising file sharing yet supporting big box monopolizing of the industry? That would be like loving trees but hating oxygen. One is a byproduct of the other. She's anti piracy yet had other artists mixtapes available for free download on her own official site.

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you Lily? 16

If you refuse to evolve, don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

I'm tired of artists whining about this shit. You don't get to own 10 Ferraris? Boo hoo. Go buy one Corvette instead.

AtariLegend wrote:

Maybe she's annoyed with walking into a store everyday and seeing topless pictures of herself on the front covers of newspapers. I am.

James Lofton wrote:

I'm tired of artists whining about this shit. You don't get to own 10 Ferraris?

She and many other artists/bands that are in the same situation probably can, though.

It's all about greediness.

James

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Maybe she's annoyed with walking into a store everyday and seeing topless pictures of herself on the front covers of newspapers. I am.

She loves being a tabloid star. She embraces it, and actually sort of parodies our shallow culture on her recent album.

She and many other artists/bands that are in the same situation probably can, though.

It's all about greediness.

Yeah it's about greed definitely, but her album sales weren't very impressive. It suffered a freefall down the Billboard charts. I was actually shocked when it did because I expected the record to blow up.

I have supported her since getting into her music. However, if she's gonna even insinuate depriving me and other fans from new music because she isn't pulling in MJ Thriller type numbers, my support for her stops and I just want her to go away.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

(insert my usual rant here)

I don't only blame the consumers, but my theory is that when it's all said and done, no-one works for free forever, in any industy. It takes money and effort to make these albums, if we then file share them for free, no ones gets paid, and they stop doing it.

Obviously that's too simplistic...but I think as an overall principle it will start to happen..... it's especially true of artists who don't enjoy life on the road as much. At some point you have to be able to make a living....

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you Lily? 16

She is a halfwit, her vomit inducing tv show cemented that fact.
Its just too much to hope for that she is truly going to disapear, mabye in the US, not here though sad

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Having remained blissfully unaware of Lily Allen aside the fittingly titled Fuck You, I can't shake the feeling that most of her criticism is pointed towards EMI. Remember their recent decision to focus distribution exclusively to major chains, excluding any and all independent record stores? The music industry is, by far and large, insanely corrupted, as it was built like a house of cards to accommodate the needs of the few at the expense of the many.

Artists have slowly gained more control over their work and profits here and there, but the real kicker has been filesharing, which has contributed to a welcome smash in the teeth for the record companies, Their initial reaction was obviously the reactionary one, but a decade after Napster, they're still exposed with their pants down, completely clueless as to what comes next.

Any healthy evolution isn't a mere revolution, since you need to present with something that works better for the artist and the consumer than the obsolete retail structure. As many enough in neither parties aren't happy with the old ways, labels like EMI are basically cushioning up their own caskets by stubbornly holding on to a dying form of commerce. Lily will do better without EMI, although I doubt she'll quit music altogether. Heard it before from all sorts of people, it's basically a 'excuse me for being a bit naughty, I'll go repent' throwaway commonly used in the entertainment industry.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Who's Lily Allen?

James

James wrote:

Yeah, I realize she could be lashing out at her record company, but taking a 'scorched earth' policy isn't the way to do it. What makes it even worse is she attempted last week to become the poster girl for the anti piracy movement, then when someone spots the fact she hosts other artists mixtapes for free download on her own site, she bows out of the movement when there had already been some big meeting planned with various artists to discuss the issue. Not only does she not want anything to do with that anymore and has said she wont be involved, now she's threatening to retire.

monkeychow--

people cant have it both ways. Even Lily wanted it both ways. Downloading Lily Allen albums=BAD. Downloading music from other artists on HER site= GOOD.

Its the same fucking thing, which is why she's running for cover and praying to avoid a backlash. She's already starting to get comparisons to Lars/Napster, which obviously isn't a good thing for her.

Who's Lily Allen?

You must be joking. While she is not a tabloid star here like she is on the other side of the pond, I cant hardly believe you've never heard of her or any of her music.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

I agree with her.  I've always hated to download and only do so if I can't buy it on CD.  I am probably one of the last person in North America that doesn't own an Ipod.  Still buy cd's and hope they last.  And if not I hope I can still buy my music in some format that doesn't involve a computer.  I still own a stereo cause I hate listening to music on a computer, a cell or anything that gives me a shitty sound.  People need to realise that in order to get new music then the artists and yes sadly the record companies need to make money.  Imagine if tomorrow you all went to your job and they tell you you have to work for free.  Don't think anyone would like that.  I know I'm old school here but hey at least I want music to survive.  Just my 2 cents.

Board footer