You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Great Duff Interview on Axl

Sky Dog wrote:

Be honest: what did you think of Chinese Democracy?

This is probably the 1000th time I've been asked that. I think the players are great. It's got a great drummer. Everybody is great on it. Axl sings great -- yeah, good record.

Axl Rose -- rock's answer to Howard Hughes or misunderstood genius?

I think when you don't talk to the media, then the media starts running a little crazy with things. There was a Rolling Stone story about him that painted him as a Howard Hughes sort of figure and everybody used that as the template to write about Axl. None of it is true. You know, he's just a guy caught up in events.

As were the rest of you in Guns n' Roses. But he's the only one who spent 15 years slaving over an album in his basement.

He was the singer of that band. And that band got bigger than anybody could have imagined. And being the singer you are the focal point, rightly or wrongly. You are. There is nothing that can prepare you for that.

It must have been pretty crazy when G n' R blew up in 87?

Man, the fame part... I remember walking into a grocery store and everybody started freaking out. Into a grocery store! The store I used to go to all the time. You know, nothing prepares you for that. And people deal with it differently. You build up these little defence mechanisms. You can't be a normal guy.

Especially if you're the singer...

Especially being a singer with red hair! You are recognisable everywhere. So yeah, if you call it 'reclusive' -- that's one person's angle on what it was. Or if you want to say, he saved himself, that's another story.

Between the groupies, the drugs and the boozing, it's a miracle you actually had any time to actually make music.

Things were still wide open. Yeah, we were fucking and sharing needles. It was really, really debauched. Not just in our camp but kind of everywhere. It was probably the last great run at sheer hedonism.

Does it get a bit old after a while?

Aids is what really put a damper on it. People were going on around not using rubbers, not using clean needles. It was just kind of a free for all. I don't think it was something anyone grew out of. It would probably be that way still if it wasn't for Aids.

Slash's heart actually stopped beating once and he had to be resuscitated by paramedics. Did you have any miracle escapes?

Oh countless of 'em. Sure. It's a miracle Slash is alive. It's a miracle I'm alive. Or even Axl -- although he was probably the least [hedonistic] of us. He always sort of stayed away from going too deep into it.

The 'hair rockers' of the 80s got a pretty hard time from grunge bands like Nirvana. Coming from Seattle, did that get under your skin?

In one aspect, we weren't included in that. We were such a big band that, sticks and stones can break your bones... you know? But the other aspect was, 'God, I could have stayed in Seattle and been in Soundgarden or Alice in Chains'. I wouldn't even have had to move. I probably wouldn't have had to become a drug addict. Of course, you always want what you don't have. I was in the biggest band in the world at the time. That's not half bad.

Moving to the more recent past, Velvet Revolver parted ways with vocalist Scott Weiland last year. What was that all about?

Nothing against Scott...I'm not saying it was all his fault. But the year before we let him go, it was pretty brutal. I didn't realise how exhausted I was 'til we got home from tour.

And now you're going on the road with your own band, Duff McKagan's Loaded. Is playing clubs a comedown after performing in huge arenas?

When the crowd's right on top of you? I really, really like that. People are hanging off the rafters. It's almost a perfect size

Looking back at pictures of yourself from the G n' R days do you gaze fondly at the perms and the ridiculous clothes, or do you wince slightly?

Hey man, we were the one band of the many bands from that era who wore our hearts on our sleeve. We set trends as opposed to following them. We didn't give a fuck. So when I see pictures, I smile. It was a great time.

Duff McKagan's Loaded play The Academy Dublin, Thursday 8 October. The album Sick is out now.

- Paul Whitington

Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment … 02494.html

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Cool interview, thats what happens when he gets interviewed here as well - folks just wanna talk about GNR.

Were Slash and him not quite scathing about Scott in not so distant previous interviews?

maguire22
 Rep: 11 

maguire22 wrote:

Nice one, he comes across really classy in that interview. Shame that people onl;y want to talk Gnr in interviews but then I think it just reflects what most readers are interested in.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Always been a Duff nutswinger. Believe in Me one of my favorite 90s albums. Its a shame it didn't take off, but it was about a year too late.

Hopefully we can do a Q&A with him at some point. Would love to see him go into more detail about his Seattle roots, and he never really said much about Believe in Me when it was released. There are many things I would ask before even thinking of hitting him over the head with new GNR/reunion shit.

madagas, I edited your post to include the actual interview.

Sky Dog wrote:

thanks....he says some very positive stuff. Also like the fact that he specifically praised the drumming. Buried beneath the shit is some bad ass percussion on CD.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Well its a good album so there are enough positive things to say and stay diplomatic without the need for Duff(or any ex member) to go down a path of negativity.

Chinese Democracy....Naked: Coming to a pipe dream near you....

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Always been a Duff nutswinger.

you grab one i`ll get the other,

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Duff is always the coolest. I love how he stands up for Guns at the end... I think he's specifically referring to the over-indulgent UYI era.

Anyone that defends that era gets on my goodside (Axl?).

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

The 'hair rockers' of the 80s got a pretty hard time from grunge bands like Nirvana. Coming from Seattle, did that get under your skin?

In one aspect, we weren't included in that. We were such a big band that, sticks and stones can break your bones... you know? But the other aspect was, 'God, I could have stayed in Seattle and been in Soundgarden or Alice in Chains'. I wouldn't even have had to move. I probably wouldn't have had to become a drug addict. Of course, you always want what you don't have. I was in the biggest band in the world at the time. That's not half bad.

I found this comment interesting.  You would never think that being in the biggest band in the world that you would even have flashings of envy or regret the way things panned out.  But I spose we're all human and subject to the same emotions.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Artists are always more envious of other artists (usually).

Even Axl felt Guns sucked in comparison to a Soundgarden or Nirvana.

Board footer