You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: Trick 'r Treat

Gunslinger wrote:

I've been wanting to see this movie for a couple of years since first hearing about it.  Even with delay after delay I was still very intrigued by what I had read/seen of this film.

The movie came out today and it is an INSTANT CLASSIC!  Great storylines (four interwoven short stories), casting, imagery and a true Halloween/80's horror movie vibe to it in the vein of Creepshow and Tales From The Crypt make this one of the best Halloween movies I have seen in years. 

I didn't want to get my hopes up too much on this one because a great number of modern horror movies simply suck.  Today's horror movies often focus on shock value, CGI and gimmicks putting tried and true values like good story telling and atmosphere on the backburner.  Not the case with this one.  This will be a must-see Halloween movie for many years to come.

This one definitely is a movie I strongly recommend for fans of the season/holiday and the genre as a whole.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I've been curious to check this out too... glad to hear a good review, from a guy that knows what he's talking about. smile

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They waited way too long to release this. This thing has been hyped since the days of the old board. 16 Looking forward to finally checking it out, but I'm gonna save this to watch on Halloween night. Like a lot of people, I usually watch a couple horror flicks on Halloween, and this flick's release guarantees that I have one that goes with the theme that I actually haven't watched.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:

They DEFINITELY waited far too long to put this one out and then do such a stupid thing as release it straight to video!!!  Usually this means turd-fest but in this case it was Warner being scared to touch this movie, the absurd part is WHY.

I have been hyped about seeing this thing forever.  The first trailer I remember seeing for it was back on the dvd release of 300!  There had been much talk about this movie far before that I believe.

Here's the funny thing.  This movie was FINISHED in 2007!!  There were a few screeners done for this movie and the audiences AND the media gave it glowing reviews.  In other words they were sitting on gold.  All Warner had to do was release this movie to the big screen and I am almost certain this would have been the highest grossing horror movie of the year.  It has an amazing cult status already.  In fact all the local video stores have sold out of this movie as well as the rental places and it just came out YESTERDAY.  But Warner decided NOT to have this debut on the big screen because of (drum roll please) possibly offensive subject matter as in the main character (Sam) is a child demon and some kids die in the movie!!!!  WTF???????

I have seen FAR MORE controversial subject matter than this over and over and they didn't want to debut this movie on the big screen for this reason!!??

Maybe someone more privy to the "industry" will understand this better than I but this is absurd!!  Had it not been an utterly FANTASTIC piece I would have called bullshit but the movie is indeed excellent and it is already selling and renting like crazy.  Go figure I guess!

Maybe the power that be were unhappy it wasn't in 3-d!

James

James wrote:

Dumb move to delay it over that as Hostel 2 had a kid get murdered, and that was released in 2007 as well. A mainstream horror film had already crossed the line. They would have taken zero flack for it.

It definitely deserved a better rollout, but a DVD release is better than sitting in purgatory.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Dumb move to delay it over that as Hostel 2 had a kid get murdered, and that was released in 2007 as well. A mainstream horror film had already crossed the line. They would have taken zero flack for it.

It definitely deserved a better rollout, but a DVD release is better than sitting in purgatory.

I agree on every point you made James. 

Their (lame) argument was due to the kids on the "bus massacre" being retarded and one other aspect about this scene.  I won't say more until you guys watch it as not to give away anything but it is still a very weak reason to delay the movie.

James

James wrote:

Hmmm, call me a cynic towards the current state of the genre, but I wasn't really all that impressed with this. I did like how each character was connected through each story, which does take creativity. My problem is the stories themselves. They just weren't fleshed out enough, and the one that is(the chicks and the serial killer) is given to us in small doses. Other than the sex scene on the TV at the beginning of the film and the few kids getting killed, this could be a scary movie on the Disney Channel.

I also would have preferred the stories being separated like in Creepshow. Still could have connected all the characters by doing so. The way this is edited makes its weaknesses stand out even more. The story of the virgin and her college friends has a really cool twist, but took too long to get there and giving it in short spurts like that almost ruined the flow of the whole film.

I do applaud it for being original though and it certainly deserved a theatrical release two years ago. It has a great Halloween vibe, and this will certainly become one of the films shown every year on Halloween.

I gave it 3/5 on Netflix, which is fair. It's a decent flick, but could have been better. Having said that, I'll take this over Saw VII or an Asian remake any day of the week.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

My problem is the stories themselves. They just weren't fleshed out enough, and the one that is(the chicks and the serial killer) is given to us in small doses.

I agree with this point, really it is the only thing I can say negative about the movie.  Otherwise I thought the movie was excellent.  By no means would I rate it the next TCM, Exorcist or Halloween (it's much more "campy" than "serious") but it is easily one of the best holiday-themed movies made and a great little flick in general, albeit a bit "tame" for the genre.

I liked all the stories outside of The Principal, it was a little weak.  The School Bus Massacre, Meet Sam and The Virgin were all good stuff.  Not a perfect movie but I would give it a solid 4/5 for what it is.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Just watched it tonight. Fan-fucking-tastic.

helenk579
 Rep: 0 

helenk579 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

My problem is the stories themselves. They just weren't fleshed out enough, and the one that is(the chicks and the serial killer) is given to us in small doses.

I agree with this point, really it is the only thing I can say negative about the movie.  Otherwise I thought the movie was excellent.  By no means would I rate it the next TCM, Exorcist or Halloween (it's much more "campy" than "serious") but it is easily one of the best holiday-themed movies made and a great little flick in general, albeit a bit "tame" for the genre.

I liked all the stories outside of The Principal, it was a little weak.  The School Bus Massacre, Meet Sam and The Virgin were all good stuff.  Not a perfect movie but I would give it a solid 4/5 for what it is.

me too

NEEMO EDIT: I dont care if you post here but dont spam us at the same time. Next time you are banned

Board footer