You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: 'Dallas' to be revived on TNT network

Axlin16 wrote:

Saw Episode 4 on Thursday. You were right Tejas -- ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I was wondering when the series would pick up a bit.

Hagman is the man. It's obvious he still LOVES playing J.R., and putting the cowboy hat back on has been effortless, regardless of his age. Dude, seriously the shit J.R. did in the episode, was VINTAGE J.R.!

And it's always the little things Hagman gets right. It's not what the character of J.R. does. It's HOW he does it. Hagman's little inflections, passive aggressive + arrogant nature. The tone of his voice. ALL of it is STILL there after all these years.

The newest episode was a vintage Dallas episode.

And that's not to understate Patrick Duffy's performance. Duffy's Abel to J.R.'s Cain, is effortless, and Bobby's righteousness came out in full force, in a vintage way as well. Bobby was never as over the top as J.R. was though, except in action sequences (which have been non-existant so far this season).

Nice to see the new characters finally getting some development.

Christopher's move with Elena was total chicken shit, and piece of shit. The fact that he'd basically accuse her of stealing credit and money from his future work, because he didn't have the guts to tell her "we aren't getting back together" was scum bag and pussy. Yet the whole time, little did Christopher know his own wife was the one stealing his stuff.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Saw Episode 4 on Thursday. You were right Tejas -- ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I was wondering when the series would pick up a bit.

Hagman is the man. It's obvious he still LOVES playing J.R., and putting the cowboy hat back on has been effortless, regardless of his age. Dude, seriously the shit J.R. did in the episode, was VINTAGE J.R.!

And it's always the little things Hagman gets right. It's not what the character of J.R. does. It's HOW he does it. Hagman's little inflections, passive aggressive + arrogant nature. The tone of his voice. ALL of it is STILL there after all these years.

The newest episode was a vintage Dallas episode.

And that's not to understate Patrick Duffy's performance. Duffy's Abel to J.R.'s Cain, is effortless, and Bobby's righteousness came out in full force, in a vintage way as well. Bobby was never as over the top as J.R. was though, except in action sequences (which have been non-existant so far this season).

Nice to see the new characters finally getting some development.

Christopher's move with Elena was total chicken shit, and piece of shit. The fact that he'd basically accuse her of stealing credit and money from his future work, because he didn't have the guts to tell her "we aren't getting back together" was scum bag and pussy. Yet the whole time, little did Christopher know his own wife was the one stealing his stuff.

You're an episode behind mate. It gets even better in Episode 5. Mild spoilers:

Hidden Text:

John Ross is in deep, deep shit after Christopher stumbled into the best blackmail ever. 16

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Anyone watch the season finale? Good shit!!!

Sky Dog wrote:

I watched them all. Very well done....

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Saw the season finale (as well with the whole season), and it was very well done. The show has come back strong.

It wasn't as good as some of the old show's best seasons, but it was defintely better than the final couple seasons of the original series.

And like Patrick Duffy said, it really did feel like the show picking up where it left off 20 years later. Not a reboot, just a Season 15.

The show has been set up to get better and better. And will be back very soon. Shooting on Season 2 begins next month, with an extended 15-episode Season 2 premiering early in January. So the show will be back in only a few months with new episodes. Very cool.

As for the show itself...

What the hell happened to Cliff?!?! He turned into a cold, evil, Son of a Bitch. Not really shocking based on some of his carless, ruthless past behavior. He ran his mama's company into the ground, and ultimately into a grave fighting J.R. Ruined the life of Afton Cooper (Rebecca's mother) for the sake of his own ego and selfishness.

Years of having infinite power and money has turned him into the new Jeremy Wendell (a character from the old series which used to run Westar Oil, Ewing Oil's big competitor. Wendell was an evil, cold fish, like Cliff has become. Cliff has did alot of business with Wendell, unlike J.R. & Bobby).

P.S.

I think Rebecca either A) loses the twins, B) Christopher finds out they are Tommy's kids, and not his

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Well "Dallas" returns in a month to TNT with an all-new season, and lots of old faces will be back. Time for new Dallas news...

"Dallas" ties up a "Knots Landing" Reunion"
by William Keck / TVGuide.com

101_11.jpg

TNT's Dallas will reunite Lucy Ewing (Charlene Tilton) with her mom, Valene (Joan Van Ark), and father, Gary (Ted Shackelford), this spring. "I haven't been in a scene with Joan since my character's wedding [in 1981]," says Tilton, 53, who caught up with Van Ark at the Carousel of Hope diabetes fundraiser in Los Angeles on October 20. "Fans were always asking why I didn't cross over to Knots Landing" — the spin-off that featured Gary and Val.

Van Ark and Tilton are scheduled to shoot their scenes at the Southfork Ranch in January. "I'm so excited to revisit Valene," says Van Ark, 69, who has a feeling Val's marriage is on the rocks. "All I hope is that Val is successful and has become empowered, as they've done with Sue Ellen."

Exec producer Cynthia Cidre confirms that Shackelford will pop up as J.R. and Bobby's brother a couple episodes before Val and Lucy. "Gary comes because he is a third owner of the oil under Southfork," says Cidre. "Then Val comes for a big event. We have some really fun stuff with Gary and Val back together with J.R. and Sue Ellen."

Shackelford, 66, says he hopes Gary has remained sober but isn't opposed to a return to his philandering ways (with fellow recovered alcoholic Sue Ellen, perhaps?)."You have to have conflict or you have no drama," says the actor, who reports to the ranch in late November. "I'm looking forward to seeing all of them."   

Besides Lucy, Cidre has no plans to re-introduce Gary and Val's other grown-up children, twins Bobby and Betsey, or any other Knots actors. "I'm already feeling a little squeezed by serving all the characters on our plate," says Cidre, who will welcome one more return: Audrey Landers will be back as Cliff's ex and Rebecca's mother, Afton Cooper, in the same episode where Van Ark and Shackelford reunite.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Wow! Joan Van Ark hasn't guest-starred on Dallas in 31 years! Hopefully they'll (Gary) will have some sort of point on the show, beyond just a cameo. It was irritating when Ray Krebbs (Steve Kanaly) was on the show in Season 1 a few times just in minor cameos, and had literally nothing to do when he was a major cast member for 12 seasons of the show in the past.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I gotta breakdown and watch season 1, even if just to see Jordana Brewster. Perfect timing to download since season 2 is on the way.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

Larry Hagman, 'Dallas' star, dies

by EW staff

NElHQ7bXH51hop_1_1.jpg

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/23/larry-hagman-dies-2/

Larry Hagman, the actor best known as the ruthless oilman J.R. Ewing on TV’s Dallas, died Friday afternoon. He was 81.
Members of his family said Hagman died of complications stemming from his recent battle with cancer. “Larry was back in his beloved Dallas, re-enacting the iconic role he loved most,” the family said in a statement. “Larry’s family and close friends had joined him in Dallas for the Thanksgiving holiday. When he passed, he was surrounded by loved ones. It was a peaceful passing, just as he had wished for. The family requests privacy at this time.”
TNT, which airs the current version of Dallas, issued the following statement: “All of us at TNT are deeply saddened at the news of Larry Hagman’s passing. He was a wonderful human being and an extremely gifted actor. We will be forever thankful that a whole new generation of people got to know and appreciate Larry through his performance as J.R. Ewing. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this very difficult time.”
Added Dallas studio Warner Bros. and executive producers Cynthia Cidre and Michael M. Robin, and the show’s cast and crew: “Larry Hagman was a giant, a larger-than-life personality whose iconic performance as J.R. Ewing will endure as one of the most indelible in entertainment history. He truly loved portraying this globally recognized character, and he leaves a legacy of entertainment, generosity and grace. Everyone at Warner Bros. and in the Dallas family is deeply saddened by Larry’s passing, and our thoughts are with his family and dear friends during this difficult time.”

Born to fabled actress Mary Martin and district attorney Larry Hagman in Fort Worth, Tex., Hagman decided to follow in his mother’s footsteps after attending New York’s Bard College — first by appearing in regional theater and then by moving to England to join the cast of his mom’s stage musical, South Pacific. After a tour of duty with the U.S. Air Force (he met his wife, Maj Axelsson, while stationed in England), Hagman returned to New York to perform on Broadway.

The small screen soon beckoned. He made guest appearances on shows like The ALCOA Hour, followed by a two-year stint on the New York-based daytime soap The Edge of Night. His first breakout role came in 1965 when he was recruited to play an amiable astronaut who falls in love with a bottle-dwelling genie in the NBC sitcom I Dream of Jeannie. But he cemented his position as a Hollywood superstar 12 years later by joining CBS’ Dallas. For 14 years, Hagman played the love-him-or-hate-him millionaire J.R.Ewing. The popular show’s infamous Nov. 21, 1980 episode — resolving the previous season finale’s “Who shot J.R.?” cliffhanger — remains the second-highest-rated TV show in history.
Behind the scenes, however, Hagman struggled for years with chronic alcoholism — so much so that a doctor told him in 1995 that he’d have to replace his liver or he’d be dead in six months. “In the heyday of Dallas, it got to the point where I showed up for work about 6:30 in the morning, and by around 9, I might have opened a bottle of champagne, which I would nurse until about noon,” Hagman told People in 1995. “By lunch I might start on another half-bottle of champagne. I would go through about three bottles a day, sometimes with people who would drop by the set, but mostly by myself. I just kept that steady drip going. The drinking sometimes made it harder to remember lines, but I liked that constant feeling of being mildly loaded.” Thanks to the 16-hour liver transplant surgery, Hagman said his doctors “saved his life.” A year later, he served as the national spokesman for the 1996 U.S. Transplant Games and continued to serve as an advocate of organ donation and transplantation until his death. Despite occasional acting roles after Dallas left the air in 1991 (in the 1998 film Primary Colors and a five-episode arc on Nip/Tuck in 2006), Hagman largely withdrew from the limelight.

Then, last summer, TNT rebooted Dallas last summer, with Hagman on board. The rest of the cast included other original cast members as well, along with a new generation of the Ewing clan. But last October Hagman announced he was diagnosed with cancer, and said he hoped to continue in his role on the show’s second season.
“As J.R. I could get away with anything — bribery, blackmail and adultery,” Hagman said at the time in a statement. “But I got caught by cancer. I do want everyone to know that it is a very common and treatable form of cancer. I will be receiving treatment while working on the new Dallas series. I could not think of a better place to be than working on a show I love, with people I love. Besides, as we all know, you can’t keep J.R. down!”
According to the Dallas Morning News, in addition to his wife, Mr. Hagman is survived by a daughter, Kristina Hagman, a son, Preston Hagman, and five granddaughters. — Lynette Rice contributed to this report

It's a sad day for us all, folks...

If you need someone to talk to, Axlin... I'm here for ya, bud.

sad mad

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Hagman's turn in Oliver Stone's Nixon is one of the high points of his career to me. Too bad it's so overlooked.

Board footer