You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Re: 'Dallas' to be revived on TNT network

Furbush wrote:

Just sat down and continued the season... ( had left off at like,episode 5)

Wow.

Great ending... How the fuck are they gonna do this without J.R.?

I'm super bummed out.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Thanks Furbush for posting about this. In some ways I was absolutely shocked when it happened, similar to Ernest Borgnine earlier this year, and then in other ways based on his appearence last season in "Dallas" I wasn't shocked.

Anybody that watched the revived series this summer on TNT, saw that J.R. was written off partially mid-season, with Hagman taking a break for a few episodes.

When he returned, he looked much more gaunt and frail, and his role from earlier in the season had been scaled back, until the season finale. He was obviously undergoing treatment again for something (later revealed throat cancer).

They definitely are in a pickle now. In some ways had Hagman died a couple years ago, none of us would even be here talking about this. Everyone would just see it as an afterthought frankly. Who would've thought we'd be here going, "oh my God, Larry Hagman died! How will they write J.R. off of Dallas? Will the show survive?"

It feels weird frankly. Hagman is an icon as J.R. That is obvious. That man was amazing. This dude was Tony Soprano before Tony. Nucky Thompson before Nucky. He's absolutely irreplaceable.

Coming full circle... so was Jim Davis who portrayed Jock Ewing, his father, on the series that died of brain cancer in-between the show's 4th and 5th seasons in the summer of 1981. Jock was a VERY poignant character on the show, and it was a huge loss. However the series focus was already clearly on the J.R./Bobby-dynamic, so Jock's death just added more fuel to the show. His prescence got felt far more in the series AFTER his death than when he was actually alive. The battle for his legacy and Ewing Oil added life to the show felt for several more seasons.

As for J.R. though, that is a different story. This newly revived series has obviously tried to move away from the J.R./Bobby-dynamic and force the transition to John Ross/Christopher battling for Ewing Oil, with love Elena thrown in the middle.

I personally don't think the series is ready for it. It's too soon, and the scenes with J.R. last season were better than ANYTHING in the series. Hagman, even at age 81 still popped on screen and brought J.R. to life better than ever, better than any other lead actor on a drama series of it's kind frankly. I still thought Hagman blew away peers like Buscemi, Hamm, etc.

The series isn't ready for it. It's all the more ironic that last season was spent with Bobby having a "death" storyline and the conversations he had with Bobby about being brothers and dying. "No one lives forever brother" - Bobby Ewing. Seems even more poignant now. I think that angle will be played up more. The series imo will have to rely on the older cast more to help bridge things along. Ken Kercheval's role will probably be bumped up, and it wouldn't hurt to use some of the older men to help bridge J.R.'s absence. Gary's already signed on, and extending his stay could help. Bumping Ray up beyond random cameos would help too.

Hagman has officially, per the studio's press release, shot 6 of the 15 episodes for Season 2/16. So the question now is, at what capacity is Hagman in the series in the first half of next season? Everything is real mum on what's going on. The producers have said he will be given a proper send-off (as to not leave the door open to his end), but at the same time... what's his involvement?

This is quite fascinating in a way. Hagman KNEW he was dying. Linda Gray was at his bedside, among friends & family. They knew. So could it be possible that Hagman tied his own death into the series? Hagman said he would NOT stop until the end. Could he have acted up until the very end? The producers have spoke of a "Ewing Family Reunion for mid-season", and that was the reason for Gary & Valene being added to the show. Ironically Larry Hagman shot half of the episodes. It would coincide right at the reason for a Ewing family reunion for mid-season.

In a strange way, Larry Hagman will be immortal because of J.R. Ewing. He got to go out on top. He got to put his hat and boots on one more time. Return to Texas (his birthplace), return to Dallas, the city that made him a legend. And remind the world one more time he is the best there ever was, ever is, or ever will be. Could it be that Hagman died as J.R. Ewing on Friday?

Once again, J.R. Ewing left us in classic fashion... guessing on a cliffhanger.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Hagman's turn in Oliver Stone's Nixon is one of the high points of his career to me. Too bad it's so overlooked.

Maybe the problem is, he's basically playing J.R. Even when he's sinister he slips into J.R.-isms. He's a great actor, with earth-shattering levels of charisma, but I think he got REALLY type-cast after Dallas. It was hard to see him as anything else, and he admitted in interviews that he missed playing J.R. I mean think about it, it's like getting to play The Joker for 13 years. Hagman had so much fun in that role that when it was gone, he felt empty.

At the same time though, he deserved better roles. I could've easily seen him in several Stone, Scorsese & Mann films after Dallas ended. He was a bigger than life superstar of an actor that was never more than a TV legend with tastes of film here and there.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

"Dallas" Producers to Give Larry Hagman a Proper Send-Off; Patrick Duffy & Linda Gray react
by Access Hollywood

178000.jpg

Larry Hagman had filmed several episodes of Season 2 of TNT's "Dallas" when he died on Friday, and according to a new report, producers of the show will give him a befitting send-off.

Producers of the show are expected to quickly begin work on the send-off, sources told The Hollywood Reporter.

According to the mag, the actor had filmed six of 15 episodes of Season 2, which premieres on January 28.

After releasing a joint statement late Friday night on behalf of the production company, Larry's co-stars and close friends, Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray, both Tweeted on Saturday, expressing their sadness over their loss.

"My friend is taking a break. Pardon my silence. Love Patrick," the actor, who plays J.R.'s good-hearted younger brother, Bobby Ewing, Tweeted, linking to a photo of the pair on the red carpet together.

On Saturday night, Patrick released a longer statement through his rep.

"Friday I lost one of the greatest friends ever to grace my life. The loneliness is only what is difficult, as Larry's peace and comfort is always what is important to me, now as when he was here," Patrick's statement read. "He was a fighter in the gentlest way, against his obstacles and for his friends. I wear his friendship with honor."

Linda Gray, who released a statement on Friday evening (Click HERE to read her statement) and was by Larry's side when he passed away in a hospital in Dallas, Texas, thanked fans for their outpouring of support.

"So sad to lose such a wonderful dear bigger than life friend. Larry Hagman was one of a kind and will be with us all forever," she wrote. "Thank you all for the love you have been sending about Larry's passing. He was a true icon loved by so many."

The three friends were close and met regularly for meals. When they signed on for the reboot of "Dallas," it was a group decision - although Larry was, at first, a hold out.

"Larry will do what I tell him to do. He even admits it... He'll go, 'What should I do?' I said, 'You're doing it.' That's our relationship," Linda told Access Hollywood earlier this year when talking about how she convinced her longtime friend to sign up for the show.

"Dallas" newcomer Jesse Metcalfe, who plays Bobby Ewing's son, Christopher Ewing, was also saddened by Larry's death and said on Twitter he was thankful to have gotten to know the late actor.

"It was truly an honor to share the screen with Mr. Larry Hagman. With piercing wit and undeniable charm he brought to life one of the most legendary television characters of all time. But to know the man, however briefly, was to know a passion and dedication for life and acting that was profoundly inspirational," the actor Tweeted. "My deepest condolences go out to Larry's friends and family. He will most certainly be missed."

Jordana Brewster, who plays Elena Ramos, the daughter of the help on "Dallas," reflected on working with Larry in her Tweet.

"I feel lucky and humbled to have worked with such a great man and actor. We will miss you, Larry," she wrote.

Julie Gonzalo, who plays Rebecca Sutter, and, in a twist at the end of last season turned out to be the daughter of Ewing nemesis Cliff Barnes, also Tweeted over Larry's death.

"I had the great honor to work with an incredible man. I'm humbled to have been a part of his life. I will cherish you forever. RIP my friend," she wrote.

Ken Kercheval, who plays Cliff, Tweeted, "A friend and long time partner... the other half...RIP Larry Hagman.... your spirit will live long."

On Saturday afternoon, Brenda Strong, who plays Bobby's wife, Ann Ewing, wrote, "Being able to work with one of my childhood idols was such an amazing gift. Bless you and sweet passage #LarryHagman."

-- Jolie Lash

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

I downloaded the first 3 seasons... started on 'em today. most of my series knowledge comes from watching it with my mom when I was like 6-9... when they were new. appropriate time to bone up, I suppose....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wow. Another huge icon gone. Easily the most iconic character of 80s tv.

I was a Dallas addict when I was a kid like most adults were. Told this story on the old site when discussing 80s television shows, but back in 84 or 85 my aunt took me and a few of my cousins out. We went to the arcade, then went to a place called Penguins for ice cream and banana splits. We were about to go bowling and I asked my aunt what time it was. It was around a half hour or so until 9 pm, and I said, " You gotta take me home. It's almost time for Dallas". 14 I was serious. She took me home.

Axlin nailed it....

This dude was Tony Soprano before Tony.

I've been wanting to watch the original series(at least the first 5 or 6 seasons) for a long time. I think now is the perfect time to rediscover the brilliance of that series.

RIP JR

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Furbush wrote:

I downloaded the first 3 seasons... started on 'em today. most of my series knowledge comes from watching it with my mom when I was like 6-9... when they were new. appropriate time to bone up, I suppose....

Give the show time is my first advice. The show doesn't really pick up and become itself, and what skyrocketed it until about mid-Season 2. It takes off from there, and Seasons 3 & 4 easily become the pinnacle of the show.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Kim Thayil's Beard wrote:

Wow. Another huge icon gone. Easily the most iconic character of 80s tv.

I was a Dallas addict when I was a kid like most adults were. Told this story on the old site when discussing 80s television shows, but back in 84 or 85 my aunt took me and a few of my cousins out. We went to the arcade, then went to a place called Penguins for ice cream and banana splits. We were about to go bowling and I asked my aunt what time it was. It was around a half hour or so until 9 pm, and I said, " You gotta take me home. It's almost time for Dallas". 14 I was serious. She took me home.

Axlin nailed it....

This dude was Tony Soprano before Tony.

I've been wanting to watch the original series(at least the first 5 or 6 seasons) for a long time. I think now is the perfect time to rediscover the brilliance of that series.

RIP JR

Yeah it is amazing how much has changed in terms of how we view our TV today. I still can remember the days of no internet, only TV Guide and if you wanted to see a favorite series, even if reruns, you had to make sure you tuned in when it was time, or otherwise you missed it. Then VCR's changed that and the rest is history.

As far as the original series goes, yeah I think it really picks up in mid-Season 2, which is where the continual stories began. From there it was DALLAS. Seasons 3 & 4 are just pure awesomeness. Season 5 was still very good but I think the show was a bit confused at the time as to how it wanted to find itself after Jock's death. By Seasons 6 & 7 it was damn good again as the battle for Ewing Oil raged on between J.R & Bobby. By late Season 7 and through Seasons 8 & 9 the show started to show it's age. Stories weren't as gripping, Season 8 was the infamous "Donna Reed as Miss Ellie" season, and Season 9 was the infamous dream season where too much female influence and foreign intrigue was injected into the show turning it into a "Dynasty"/"Knots Landing"-hybrid rather than Dallas.

The reason I mention all of those seasons is that they are still entertaining, but to a casual fan they might check out during that period. IF you can make it to Season 10 (1986-87) season, you'll be rewarded with probably the best season since Season 6, if not Seasons 3 & 4, and is known to Dallas fans as "the last great/big season of the show". This was the season, post-dream where everything picked up where Season 8 left off, and the show re-wrote itself from there, the proper-more traditional Dallas-way. Season 10 sees J.R. using terrorists to sabotage Saudi Oil fields to drive up the value of domestic oil. This brings in all kinds of trouble, including a mercenary that kidnaps John Ross that the Ewing boys have to stop themselves, plus a U.S. state department investigation into Ewing Oil that leads to some big suprises. The series should've ended RIGHT THERE. There's a touching speech J.R. gives little John Ross at the end at Ewing Oil with Jock's portrait in the background that would've been a touching, quick, shocking, ending to the series that would've have been a happy ending to the show, plus a shocking and appropriate cliffhanger.

From Season 11 on, watch at your own risk, lol. I can't really recommend the series past Season 10. Season 12 has some moments, and could've been a good stopping point as well, but the series stories become wildly erratic at that point, and for most casuals they probably will be well beyond done, seeing as even the diehards look at it as the series' decline period.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

This article had alot of good points on how to write J.R. off the show...

How To Write Off a Television Icon?
by UltimateDallas.com

hagman-300x168.jpg

The death of beloved Larry Hagman leaves TNT producers with the mammoth task of writing a final farewell to the legendary JR Ewing.
Cynthia Cidre has confirmed the character will get a fitting end in season two and the production team are currently discussing ideas on how to write the character out.

From the numerous emails we have received and posts on the messageboard it is clear that Dallas fans have a list of must haves for a final farewell to JR Ewing.

I have together pulled some ideas and would love your thoughts and suggestions.

1. Reactions – The characters must react true to type. A Cliff Barnes sobbing at the loss of JR Ewing would be out of character. Sentimentality where it’s fitting.  John Ross could go off the rails and obviously Sue Ellen will be devastated as she deals with her conflicting love and hate for her ex-husband.

2. Final revenge – JR needs to leave a surprise for his surviving relatives and adversaries. The idea of one final devastating act of revenge on Cliff Barnes seems fitting. 

3. Family battle –JR is out of the business world (although we have yet to see season two) but he needs to leave a legacy that creates a battle ground for the remaining Ewings. One suggestion is to have the Southfork deed that JR gave to Bobby turn out to be a fake and JR still owns the Ewing home or it turns out he owns Ewing Energies.  The reading of the will should really set things in motion. Perhaps JR still feels John Ross needs to learn a lesson so pits him against his cousin Christopher (a hark back to Jock’s will) or maybe he leaves Sue Ellen holding the power card. Let battle commence…..

4. Returnees – Characters from the past need to return to bid farewell to JR.  As well as the main cast from the original series it would be great to see characters such as Sly and Marilee, perhaps even Serena. One suggestion is that Sly was working behind the scenes for JR and delivers a surprise for the Ewings.

5. Final quote –  In true soap style JR needs to leave a personal letter to his family and enemies. All written in the true voice of JR with a final memorable quote.

6. Missing heirs – Obviously JR’s other children are still out there. James Beaumont and his child with Cally. But bringing these characters in at this point  may make the story telling overly complex.

7. Flashbacks – I’m  not a big fan of flashbacks but your emails suggest otherwise. Implemented in the right way they could be really poignant.

8. Portrait -  A portrait of JR needs to be a prominent feature in the show. Ideally in a similar style to Jock’s original portrait.  One idea is for Bobby, Sue Ellen and John Ross to  hang the portrait together in an intimate scene.

9. Ewing Energies – It was a smart move by the writers to go back to the original Ewing building. This building was in JR’s soul and where Jock taught him the oil business. We love the idea of JR’s portrait hanging here and perhaps the final scene is the lights at Ewing Oil being switched off and just the shot of a back-lit portrait with a series of audio quotes from JR playing out. JR had some fantastic sayings but this one is a classic – “Don’t forgive and never forget; Do unto others before they do unto you; and third and most importantly, keep your eye on your friends, because your enemies will take care of themselves.”

10. Last laugh – However they decide to write out JR the most important thing is that he has to have the last laugh and go out on top. In my mind I want to think of JR looking down on those he has left behind and to hear that devious laugh.

How would you like to see JR Ewing exit the show?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

In the 80s there was only one channel in my country. Whether or not they would even air something as unwholesome as an American soap was a national debate in itself back then. When the dust settled they ended up going for "Dynasty". And people ate it up like crack fiends at 9 o'clock. Literally half the country was tuning in every weekend.

When commercial broadcasters were allowed in in the late 80s there would soon be "Dallas" as well, but that early "Dynasty" craze had created such a total impression that it never really took off. In the end there was no replacement for Joan Collins.

Though I've heard Dallas is a lot better I don't know if I got another soap in me. You can't not get addicted and suddenly you're looking at weeks and months of viewing.

Board footer