You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Web pioneer recalls 'birth of the Internet'

tejastech08 wrote:

October 29, 1969 was the official birth of the Internet. Check out this interview with the man who helped supervise it.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/29/klei … index.html

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i remember back in the day when poeple had to use telephone modems like actually put the phone handset on the thingy...then there was the DOS searches....they were somethign to see 16

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

The article mentions that 1969 was a year with quite a bit of history. Which one do you think is a bigger deal, the birth of the Internet or landing on the moon?

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

i dont know much about either to be honest

...scientifically and technologically leaving earth is more important...though some peopel debate people ever having been to the moon

though the world would not be what it is today without the internet, so as far as a society and communications internet impacts peoepl everyday.

but until the mid 90's the internet was pretty insignificant...people have been talking about hte moon landing since it happened

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i dont know much about either to be honest

...scientifically and technologically leaving earth is more important...though some peopel debate people ever having been to the moon

though the world would not be what it is today without the internet, so as far as a society and communications internet impacts peoepl everyday.

but until the mid 90's the internet was pretty insignificant...people have been talking about hte moon landing since it happened

There are two ways of looking at it. From a humanist standpoint, the Internet is a far bigger deal. But from a scientific standpoint, the moon is a far bigger deal. The moon represents space exploration and discovery in general. The idea of going to other planets, possibly finding other lifeforms, etc. is a pretty huge deal. But if you just look at day-to-day life for hundreds of millions of people around the world, the Internet is also a huge deal. I think a valid argument can be made for either, it just depends on the perspective of the person making the argument.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

to be honest though i was pretty computer illiterate until about 95-96...and it wasnt until about 2000 until i could really do anything besides type something or play a game

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The General Lee was born

The 1969 Dodge Charger

I'm sure everyone can agree that was the biggest thing to come out of '69. 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The internet is the most important invention in the history of mankind, and it's only in its infancy. I would place it above any other invention including flight due to its domination over all aspects of human life. There's not one thing untouched by it. Humans will eventually be integrated into the net, and after mankind is long gone it will probably be the only thing left to show we were even here, and by that point it will be a living, self replicating being itself.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

It's debatable for sure imo.

Internet may be in it's infancy, but so is space travel. Space travel even more so. Who knows where humanity may go someday? Maybe we'll be traveling across galaxies in 3000 years...

So I think the internet is more important now, but who can say as time goes on. If humanity is one day interstellar or spread out across the universe I think looking back the moon landing will be much more important and telling of humanities accomplishments. IF we ever get there tongue.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The internet is the most important invention in the history of mankind, and it's only in its infancy. I would place it above any other invention including flight due to its domination over all aspects of human life. There's not one thing untouched by it. Humans will eventually be integrated into the net, and after mankind is long gone it will probably be the only thing left to show we were even here, and by that point it will be a living, self replicating being itself.

James the internet itself won't be a "self-replicating being". It's just a bunch of servers and computers connected together over a bunch of wires and wireless signals. Still I do agree it is one of the most important inventions. Although I'd slow down with the whole Sci-Fi stuff. If something like that were to happen it would actually be a big, very powerful computer hooked up to the internet, not the internet itself. The internet is just a very very big Wide Area Network, that has been utilised very effectively by mankind. It would be another being attached to the internet doing the self-replicating, not the internet.

Nerdy Computer Science rambling over.

Board footer