You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: From sebastianbach.com

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

post of the year!:mosh: Karma...the Slash/Axl/relevancy comment is HORSESHIT! Up until the last year when MJ died and The Beatles remastered all their albums, the Gnr brand was selling more records on a yearly basis in the Top Pop Catalog category in the US than almost any other artist. They were consistently over the past 5 years selling more albums in the US than Zep, Floyd, Stones, Beatles etc. The Gnr "brand" is still very "relevant"....maybe not new Guns but the classic band is VERY relevant in the music industry...which, BY DEFAULT, makes both Axl and Slash still VERY much pop/rock icons-even today.:peace:

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
TSI wrote:

And to change the topic slash will be covering Paradise City with Fergie on his upcoming album.....:(
make anybody else nauseous?

No. If it sucks(which it probably will), I just wont listen to it. Probably took him minutes to record that. If anything makes me nauseous, it's my favorite artist needing to spend over a decade on one album just to find it suitable for release when my second favorite artist(Cornell) could have recorded that in a week and released it within a month.

Yes, covering "Jungle" with Fergie has forever delegated him to having a studio musician mentality. And what the fuck was he trying to accomplish by going to the viper room, with Adler in tow
the night Dizzy and Fortus played? I smell bad intentions, as in ambush.

Yeah, and Slash also flew into Area 51 on an F-121  so he could disrupt a meeting where Obama was gonna sign a treaty with the Greys.

You act like these people are in high school. What purpose would he have in ambushing a guitarist that nobody but a few forum junkies cares about and his former keyboardist?? Please. He went there and performed with the other band playing that night. Slash is an extremely active musician. The ONLY thing surprising about that incident is the fact it doesn't happen more often. The only reason it doesn't happen often is because no one in GNR is very active. If/when GNR becomes active, they are going to be crossing paths with Slash in the future.

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

post of the year!:mosh: Karma...the Slash/Axl/relevancy comment is HORSESHIT! Up until the last year when MJ died and The Beatles remastered all their albums, the Gnr brand was selling more records on a yearly basis in the Top Pop Catalog category in the US than almost any other artist. They were consistently over the past 5 years selling more albums in the US than Zep, Floyd, Stones, Beatles etc. The Gnr "brand" is still very "relevant"....maybe not new Guns but the classic band is VERY relevant in the music industry...which, BY DEFAULT, makes both Axl and Slash still VERY much pop/rock icons-even today.:peace:

If this was directed at me, I wasn't talking about the relevance of the old band. We all know AFD sells like hotcakes and always will. I was referring to their place in current pop culture.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Just in case anyone was wondering, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr... all has beens too.

Somehow Axl & Slash are immune because they were in "Guns N' Roses". Ding ding for them. They haven't released any original album since 1991, and irrelevant in today's culture other than a memory through Greatest Hits sets.

James

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Just in case anyone was wondering, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr... all has beens too.

Every artist you listed can still sell out stadiums across the globe and release critically acclaimed albums that sell decent in this era.

Has beens:

Martika
Jani Lane
Bobby Mcferrin
Phil Lewis
Chaka Khan
Jermaine Lewis
Mark Slaughter
The Fat Boys

NOT has beens:

The global icons you just listed.

Somehow Axl & Slash are immune because they were in "Guns N' Roses". Ding ding for them. They haven't released any original album since 1991, and irrelevant in today's culture other than a memory through Greatest Hits sets.

Go check their discographies. An artist that is active, sells albums, and still on the global stage is not a has been.

hvxs9w.jpg

When....

Martika
Jani Lane
Bobby Mcferrin
Phil Lewis
Chaka Khan
Jermaine Lewis
Mark Slaughter
The Fat Boys

are on the cover of that(or something similar), I'll consider Slash a has been.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I love it when Martika gets mentioned.  This time it wasn't even ME who brought up her name.

Axlin, you have some tough standards on rating has beens.  I've got to disagree with you.  Just because 10 year olds are singing Miley Cyrus songs instead of GNR, Pink Floyd, or Zepellin doesn't mean they're has beens.  That's a harsh distinction.  Maybe you could say they're legends that are no longer in their prime, but has beens just doesn't seem right.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
faldor wrote:

Yeah I mean, I may not approve of everyone Slash plays with, everything he says, everything he does.  But who the hell am I?

We are the fans and have every right to express our opinion. Being a fan does not mean you need to be a fanatic zealot, who supports everything the unquestionable GOD and his priests do. There is a site for that, but that's not my cup of tea. I'm a fan and you're a fan, because we love what these guys gave us, the music. More or less like the products of the last 15 years. But not liking CD or Slash's or Izzy's career does not make you a 'non-fan', or, at certain sites, a 'heretic', who need to be killed (ie. banned). If I'd badge anyone with the non-fan stigma, it'd be those who try to rewrite GN'R's history and those who constantly love the last fart by one member and his puppets, and hate the other, even if he gets the Nobel prize.

Well, I'm a massive Slash fan, his playing gives me something only other artist gave in such a huge dose (Tori Amos big_smile). But even as a Slash supporter, I think he made a lot, lot, lot of bad decisions and still makes them. I don't think he'd have sold his integrity, cause I'm sure he doesn't get a buck from all these artists he plays for. He just does not  take care of his reputation. I wouldn't mind him playing with Fergie, cause the chick actually can sing. But the Pussycat Dolls girls is a bit much, even for a one-off live performance (side note, for some people it was ultra cool, when Axl took The Suicide Girls with GN'R as an opener. No, it wasn't.) Back to Slash: unfortunately he risks his guitar god status with playing 3rd rate nobodies and appearing multiple times in stupid tv shows. You just don't play with Ray Charles AND Paula Rubio. I think he's strongly influenced by Perla, but he should say fuckin' no, otherwise he'll be the next Ozzy.

I agree.  My point was, if you don't like Slash playing with Fergie you shouldn't HATE Slash because of that.  If you wish Axl would be more open to the fanbase you shouldn't HATE Axl/GNR for that.  You can have your differences of opinion obviously but this whole breakup of GNR is treated too much like we're all closely involved in real life, which we're not.  People feel like they have to choose a side, which they don't.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

It's Five O Clock Somewhere
Ain't Life Grand
Contraband
Libertad
Chinese Democracy
Sick

The GNR guys have released albums since 1991.
Contraband got good reviews and was a big hit, went platinum and Slither was very successful.
Chinese Democracy, whilst not a hit still made it to 3, and appeared in a fair few rock magazines list of best albums.
Sick has received great reviews and Loaded have just finished a successful UK tour.

Just because a band isn't going NO.1 with each record or single doesn't mean their a has-been. Just because they're not always in the top 10 doesn't mean their a has-been.

Hell by your logic one of your favourite bands Alice In Chains should be has-beens.

James

James wrote:

Well, obviously different people use a different criteria for what constitutes a has been. In my opinion, when you're selling out stadiums and performing at the Super Bowl and have music and a video game flying off shelves(McCartney), you're not a has been.

Jani Lane singing Heaven in front of ten people at a bar, and eight of them are only there for the drinks...... HAS BEEN.

Board footer