You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: From sebastianbach.com

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Well at least that makes sence as a reason not to like him. For my taste, I disagee, I really enjoyed Angel Down, there's a few songs on there i thought where great....i loved the ending of "By My Side", his take on "Back in the Saddle" with Axl was fun, and American Metal Head and Angel down itself were also good fun metal songs to rock out to.

I think its a very bland, stale, generic, and uninspired album. That Saddle cover is terrible, and Axl himself cant even save it, which says so much more about Baz and his musicians than it does about Axl.

When Axl Rose cant polish your turd, you're in trouble. It wound up selling around 1000 copies opening week, had a descent on the charts, and excuses and bellyaching immediately after its release.

Well he blamed downloading for making it not viable for him, and I think he's right. We all like to download, and there's exceptions to the rule - notably MIA and some of your favourite artists james - but we all know that if this was 1989 and the net ran at worse than dial up rates still, and there was no audio compression, that albums would sell a damn lot more than they do now. Should he come to terms with it? Maybe...but he's from a time when people paid for music more readily than they do today, and he doesn't like it now. Can't say I blame him...especially when...if I'm not mistaken large parts of Angel Down were self funded.

Even if we weren't in the downloading era, the album would have had zero impact. He isn't relevant to our current culture. This generation has its own stars. He appeals to a few aging metal heads. Not knocking his fans, but that's how the cookie crumbles. Most rock fans aren't interested in him, which is why he finds himself in the position he's in.

I actually liked Baz/Skid Row when I was a teen. Slave to the Grind is a killer record, and can stand proud up against the MANY other amazing records released in the same time frame. However, in the 95-09 era, NONE of those guys created anything worth listening to. If Skid Row was opening this tour instead of Baz, I would have complaints as well. Actually, I'd have more. 14

I would just prefer that my favorite band take a solid opener out on the road. If Axl and some GNR fans want this 1989 head trip, more power to em. If/when the band schedules a date near me, I'll simply show up right before Axl hits the stage. At my 2nd MIA show, she had an opener I had never heard of before and I just didn't care. So we hung around near the club until their set was over and then we went in.

I'll do the same in this case as well.

Since he made those comments he's communicated a lot with his fans, and he's talked about new music he is recording and stuff, so I think it's being given too much weight. I think he was just expression his frustration with the state of the industry.

Sounds like he finally learned to stop biting the hand that feeds.

You don't have to like him...but i get fed up of reading how he's a "joke" when he's actually a very good entertainer.

These aren't Baz sites. Not everybody is going to like him. Like madagas said, the fan base had these issues in 2006-07, and they're gonna have them again in 2009-10.

This band rarely tours, and when it does so, the opening act(s) are under a microscope when they are announced. Once the tour gets underway, the complaints will lessen in intensity.

Every post in this thread is as predictable as it gets and was played out in 2006...

Are you insinuating that I repeat myself? wink 15

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Ditto to everything James says.

I used to 'like' Skid Row back in the day, and I still crank some of their hits, especially those off of Skid Row. Classic 80's metal.

In 2006, I would classify my opinion of Baz as a 'slight annoying, but sometimes cool' supporter of GN'R/Axl. I'm fine with that, or was. His performance in 2006 did not wow me at all. Sure it was fine hearing songs like Slave To The Grind, Youth Gone Wild, I Remember You and 18 and Life, while I sipped my coke, but none of it got me out of my seat, and even the guy's stage act was cliched and somewhat irritating. I would've been just as fine, with someone playing Skid Row's catalog over the PA speaker as I waited for GN'R. In Baz's defense... Papa Roach was "okay" also. Nothing that wowed me, or at least on GNR's level. Even the new band, whatever form, is still one of the best rock acts out there, and always put on a great show.

When I turned on Baz was the downloading thing. Angel Down fucking sucked. Straight out. Even the Axl tracks were some of the worst tracks that Axl Rose has ever contributed his voice to, and made The Spaghetti Incident look like Appetite For Destruction. Baz's album also tanked. So instead of just accepting it for what it is, he blamed downloading, and even had clips of his own songs pulled off of YouTube, which shows how out of touch he truely is. He then continued to bitch and moan and complain about downloaders destroying his album, how the industry is over thanks to, well basically 'us', and blah blah blah.

Any shread of respect I had for the mother fucker flew out the window at lightning speed. Not only did he reveal himself to be an old ass has-been, but he also showed how in denial he was over his career, and how much of a "pass the buck" legend in his own mind, he really is.

I tip my cap to Axl for keeping this guy employed, as he's also shown amazing loyalty to the Malibu Mafia.

All I was saying is Baz needs thank his lucky stars he has as good a friend as Axl. Does the guy have pipes? Yes, but there's ALOT of guys who have the same, or better. 99% better than most? Seriously man... get out more. I've seen just as good metal vocals from kids in a high school talent contest. There's nothing he has that is unique to him. He has no X-factor, like an Axl does. Baz is no different than the 15 other popular metal acts of his time, and when I say that, i'm not referring to GN'R or Metallica, i'm talking about like fucking Slaughter and Faster Pussycat and shit like that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I think its a very bland, stale, generic, and uninspired album. That Saddle cover is terrible,

Wow....it's amazing how opinions vary amongst fans of the same bands really. I really like Angel Down...not my favourite album of all time or anything but it's a solid album to me and definately worthy in my collection. I agree it's somewhat genre based...but that's sort of what I like about it, and about Baz. Like you go to a Baz show, you have a few drinks, and you know you are going to get some solid, hard ass rock. Yeah it might not be modern style, it's old school, but its real and it's what it is. And it's reliable as that. Sort of like Ac/Dc. Its old school, but it's real and I like that.

But I guess I can see it's not for everyone. Take 'american metalhead' it's generic in that its archetypical. But to me that makes it kind of an anthem for whenever i'm in that metal mood...but i guess to someone else it just sounds like old or whatever.

As for saddle, I love that version, when Axl and baz are screaming out that "riding high" bit, it's such a metal moment - my hands sort of involuntarily go into horns and my fist in the air!!! In my dream world they'd add that to the set as the duet moment like they did with "my michelle" in 06 - but that would mean bumble and co would have to be playing it i'm guessing.

Axlin08 wrote:

In 2006, I would classify my opinion of Baz as a 'slight annoying, but sometimes cool' supporter of GN'R/Axl. I'm fine with that, or was. His performance in 2006 did not wow me at all. Sure it was fine hearing songs like Slave To The Grind, Youth Gone Wild, I Remember You and 18 and Life, while I sipped my coke, but none of it got me out of my seat, and even the guy's stage act was cliched and somewhat irritating.

Interesting. See I saw Baz in 2005 (i think might have been 04) in this small club - and he blew me away. I was really taken aback. He came out with such energy and blew this little club from like 4 to 11 in seconds. Probably helped that it would have been a small crowd of skid row fans I guess rather than a GNR audience, but still, to me he definately has a stage presence.

Axlin08 wrote:

When I turned on Baz was the downloading thing. Angel Down fucking sucked. Straight out. Even the Axl tracks were some of the worst tracks that Axl Rose has ever contributed his voice to, and made The Spaghetti Incident look like Appetite For Destruction.

Ahh man....I'm already winging about the Angel Down hate and you had to start on TSI 16 16 I love that record too 9

Oh well maybe I'm a freak then cos it seems you guys arn't alone. But I liked them....I'd agree they arn't the best thing axl's done - but thats cos GNR is so kickass, and because he's only singing backing in lots of these anyway....

Axlin08 wrote:

Does the guy have pipes? Yes, but there's ALOT of guys who have the same, or better. 99% better than most? Seriously man... get out more. I've seen just as good metal vocals from kids in a high school talent contest.

Alright...i'll grant that 99% migt have been me getting in fan boy mode...but lets get fair here....show me a highschool talent contest with albums like Skid Row. Show me kids who belt out "I remember you" and "Beat yourself Blind"...well maybe there's a tiny amoubt of people out there who can....but you can't be suggesting he's not
insanely talented vocally.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Don't worry monkeychow, I'm with you man, I love Angel Down and TSI. Both are good rock albums, and I agree, American Metalhead is a pretty cool (even if it is somewhat cliched) metal anthem for when you're in the mood.

I think it's cool that Baz is opening for GN'R again, I really enjoyed when he opened for them on the Australian tour, because I was a big Skid Row fan back in the day as well, but never saw them live. With Baz, Rose Tattoo and GN'R together for the show, it made for a great night of live hard rock.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I gotta confess I still listen to Angel Down!

TSI
 Rep: 2 

TSI wrote:

I don't mind saying I'm glad that Bas is opening!! and the Angel Down version shits all over the aerosmith version, just as the Lies version of Mamakin was better!!! On Angel down Bas' record company went tits up and he had to finance the rest himself--It's a good album imo and beats out a Lot of what is on mainstream radio!!
I had the  happy opportunity to see Skid Row open for Guns on the 91 tour, and Bas led the crowd in an impromtu chant of Ice Ice baby-Fuck off-fuck off, in a "tribute" to Vanilla ice who shamelessly ripped off the " under Pressure" riff....(Bowie&Mercury).
The 06/07 tours were great as well and I had the lucky experience of seeing them several times...This, imo is when it's great to be single and childless, you get to be selfish and do what makes you happy!!!
SO i'm a happy camper that Bas is opening again- much better than a van halen team-up imo!! I won't make taiwan if it happens- they have had multiple monsoons and it really fucked up the place!
But I'll catch at least 2 shows in Japan and more in Canada!!
Bet Bas is having the last laugh on the old skid row lineup big_smile

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

I like Angel Down.

I wonder if Baz has the balls to play his country song at a rock concert?  He is suppose to have recorded an entire country album and a follow up to Angel Down.  I wonder if any of those songs surface on tour?

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
ereeper wrote:

I like Angel Down.

I wonder if Baz has the balls to play his country song at a rock concert?  He is suppose to have recorded an entire country album and a follow up to Angel Down.  I wonder if any of those songs surface on tour?

And just when I thought it couldn't get worst.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

I'd like to hear him dedicate "Battle With The Bottle" to you.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
ereeper wrote:

I'd like to hear him dedicate "Battle With The Bottle" to you.

*lol*  I'd actually laugh.  And just so I know cause Baz's country venture is completely out of my knowledge.  Is that an actual song from him or a reference to his bottle incident back in the late 80's?  And while on the subject.  What was the verdict for that incident when it went to court?  I remember that he felt bad about that incident.  And it is really a shame for him and especially the woman that got hurt.  I hate people that throws bottles at the performers on stage.

Board footer