You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Illegal downloaders spend MORE on music than those who obey the law

RussTCB wrote:

removed

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

i believe it. for example over the past three years i've spent at LEAST $150 on iTunes alone. not to mention all the other CDs I buy from places like best buy, various concerts, or vinyl fever.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Totally believe it. I'd go so far to say that illegal downloaders are FAR bigger music lovers, and are typically the majority of your concert goers.

Those on the front line/underground, "downloadin' mother fuckers" have known this for YEARS and YEARS.

That's why it's so hilarious when downloaders are targeted as the reason the music business is dead. Downloaders are the only mother fuckers that are keeping that dead business on life support.

Your business model fucked you in the ass. Downloaders simply exploited it's already pre-existing, greed-fueled, anti-artist, anti-consumer weaknesses.

The sooner these people embrace illegal downloading, and make it work for them, the quicker they'll be back on track, making money well into the future.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

If you care enough to download, you care enough to buy stuff too.  Everybody else is happy just hearing the same 20 songs on the radio.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I love seeing statistics like this. The anti downloaders are running out of legs to stand on. I can see why they think downloading has ruined the industry. From the surface it does look that way, and with the industry using the line as propaganda, it reinforces that falsity. Once you dig beneath the surface and take a look for yourself, you see that it's the exact opposite of what they want you to believe. I used to think downloading was destroying the industry as well, but then I looked behind the curtain and saw the reality.

The reason downloaders buy more music is because they are more computer savvy. So while they grab stuff off Pirate Bay, they also use Itunes and other paid services.

Why are the non downloaders not buying music? Because they aren't as computer savvy, so where are they gonna buy music? Wal Mart with its top 40 and assorted hits compilations? Best Buy with its shrinking shelf space?

finyl.jpg

114586975_68e4777416.jpg

cdwduluth.jpg

towerrecordsdowntown.jpg

346882879_50d2996f4c.jpg

abandoned-store.jpg

YKNDfGbwPllnz6ylAcriBJ4Mo1_400.jpg

1143386857_b0587c8b64.jpg

This is why I laugh when the anti downloaders blame people like me for the current state of the industry. Go to your local wal mart clerk and ask for the following CDs:

Death Angel- Act III
Four Horsemen- Nobody Said It Was Easy
Hater- Hater
Stiffed- Burned Again
Jane Child- Jane Child
Trio- Trio
Edwyn Collins- Gorgeous George

When he/she tells you they don't have any of those and more than likely never heard of them, you have two choices.....

1. Go cry in front of those empty buildings posted above who carried all these in stock until the music industry priced them out of business and refused to stock their shelves.

2. Go download the albums from Pirate Bay or Itunes.

We all know you're picking option 2. 22

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah it's ashame. I bought a microwave on Craigslist last week & on my way out to pick it up, drove past where a Tower Records used to be. I thought of how sad it was to be gone as I could always rely on it to have indie & lesser known cd's.

I wonder if any market reseach has been done on that. As people felt the need to "go get the cd" whereas when they're at a Walmart or Best Buy it's more of an accesory "Oh I'm here buying these things but in addition I'll get this album too" but people don't like to say "Oh I'll goto Target/Walmart to buy the new CD I wanted" because you have to put up with so much more stuff (parking, walking, people etc) whereas with the record shop you went and only looked at cd's.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

CDs are 'loss leaders'. The big box stores buy them from the labels knowing this. They don't give a fuck about the actual cds. The cd is on the shelf there hoping you'll also buy Rolaids, a gallon of fruit punch, and a bag of Charleston Chew on your way to the register. Obviously they would prefer you buy TVs, DVD players,etc., but the majority purchase the smaller items.

This also leads into the recent botched exclusives known as Chinese Democracy(Best Buy) and Sonic Boom(Wal Mart). Neither store cared about you wanting either album. You NEED fruit punch and a cell phone instead, so they can make money.

Music stores existed to sell you music. That's all they cared about. It was their only purpose. They had shit from top 40 to bands you never even heard of. They thrived.

What's wrong with this picture?

In the mid 90s(BEFORE the downloading juggernaut) is when the record industry priced them out of competition, and the outlets that still continued to move product were eventually told they could no longer even stock product from the labels. Now there's tons of empty lots because the labels want you to buy Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and Britney Spears for the low, low price of $13.99. To entice you to buy another gallon of punch, you can buy a bare bones Kiss Greatest Hits cd for 7 bucks.

Enjoy your Wal Mart brand fruit punch while I download music I like.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

MAN.... I wish I could lure the girl I know that works for Uni in here. She'd never come within 100 yards of a GNR board but oh would I love it. She is totally one of those "YOU EVIL DOWNLOADERS!" people and I often times get so frustrated arguing with her that I give up. I'd love for her to step in the shit that is threads like these.

She never would, because any industry people on this downloading thing, are no different than the global warming nuts. They don't want a debate, because they spew propaganda daily, and cannot handle a true debate. If you disagree that downloading hurt the business to those industry people, you're practically treated as a holocaust denier.

If she stepped in here, she'd be destroyed. If not by Lofton, by everyone else. Anyone that's challenged James on this in the past... pack a lunch... he'll go for weeks back and forth.

Board footer