You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Metallica live in Quebec city Nov 1st 2009 review and setlist

gnfnraxl wrote:

All right.  Went to see Metallica last night.  And man what a fucking awesome show!  Visually not much going on (except the opening laser show that is quite wicked) but the crowd was awesome and the band was fantastic.  For those that say James is not a good performer anymore I really don't know where they get it from.  The whole band really gave an awesome performance.  But James was awesome last night.  Could barely hear him the first 2 songs but problem was fixed after.  Metallica were able to get huge crowd reactions the whole show.  And when they played songs from Death Magnetic the crowd went crazy (An entire different reaction than what we had at another band's show that shall remain nameless).  And to pout the icing on the cake they played some gems last night that I didn't expect which was nice.  And I was surprised that they played just 3 songs off the Black album which I thought was awesome.  cause we were treated to a few surprises (Please take note of this Axl) and the crowd just ate it up.  Easily one of the best concerts I've ever been too.  The crowd was wild and the band really kept the crowd going wild till the end.  As for the opener Lamb of God.  I didn't enjoy them but they're just not my cup of tea.  And the band before that I can't remember their name but they rocked.  Really liked them.  Here is Metallica's setlist for last night with a quick comment on each songs:

1)That was just your life: This song is awesome live.  And the laser show was amazing.  Surprisingly an awesome opener.

2)The end of the line: Somehow I'm not into that song at all but it wasn't bad live. 

3)The four horsemen: Unfuckingbelievable!  Can't believe they played this one.  Just awesome and really heavy.  Band and crowd were wild.

4)The shortest straw: Another song I was definitely not expecting.  Just awesome!

5)One: Just incredible.  Nothing I can say can give this justice.

6)Broken Beat and scared: Another song I don't care too much on Death Magnetic but was good live.

7)My apocalypse: That song is really heavy live.  Was really an awesome song and I was surprised they played it.

8)Sad but true: To my surprise this was the 1st song off the black album and I was very happy to hear this.

9)Welcome home (Sanitarium): Yet another gem I did not expect to hear.  Awesome!

10)Judas Kiss: That song was awesome live!

11)The day that never comes: Why I don't know but I love that song!  Awesome live!

12)Master of Puppets: The guys were really into this song.  I have never heard them play it this loud, fast and heavy!  A pure treat!  I thought they would have to carry Lars out on a stretcher cause they played it so fast.

13)Battery: Another great song!

14)Nothing else matters: I get why they play this but was still disappointed.  Would've rather have another heavy song.

15)Enter Sandman: 3rd and final song played from the black album.  Good song but no surprises there.

16)Killing time (Sweet Savage cover): Yet another unexpected song and it rocked!

17)Whiplash: Fucking heavy and awesome

18)Seek and Destroy: Good closer.  Awesome performance.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Glad to hear you had such a great time. Also glad to hear they tore shit up!

They did.  And I couldn't help to compare this to the last show I saw which was GNR in 06.  And I,ll be honest that while I thought about not going to GNR in Feb next year I was leaning more lately towards going.  And last night sealed the deal in me not going to see GNR in Feb.  Basically I'm thinking that the chances are we're just gonna get a rerun of the 06 shows which I saw already and there is no way that Axl can top Metallica's show.  When we saw GNR they came on stage played with little to no interaction with the crowd and when the show was done they left the stage and that was basically it.  Plus I thought that Axl's mic volume was way low.  Now with Metallica, James had a great interaction with the crowd and it may be kiss ass on their part or cheesy but they made a point of making sure that we felt that they appreciated that we came to the show and they made a point in showing us that the fact we were such a noisy crowd made them feel better and they wanted to make us feel better.  Plus after the show the band stayed on stage for I would say about 10 minutes to applaud the crowd and they each took their turn to take the mic and thank us and speak a little to the crowd.  And I don't know, to me it showed that yes they do this for money but they also do this cause they love it.  Whereas with Axl it felt in thend like a cashgrab nothing more nothing less.  I know that some people are not gonna take this at all and bash me but that's how I see it.  So yeah last night I decided to skip GNR for sure.  And plus Metallica as a band totally tore shit up.  And just so everybody understand.  I'm not saying GNR sucked in 06.  THEY DIDN'T!  But I feel that Axl as a frontman was way better before than Hetfield but now I hate to say this but Hetfield is better.  And it's just a case of Axl not putting in the effort.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

You cant know for sure if its a 2006 repeat until we get info on the first couple shows. I do agree that Axl should communicate somewhat with the crowd. He's too good of a performer to ignore interaction. It's a travesty that other than the trilogy pipe dream comment in Europe 2002 and the 'downloading motherfuckers' comment in 2006, the new songs were never even acknowledged by him.

Metallica whipping out Shortest Straw would have been worth the price of admission alone.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

You cant know for sure if its a 2006 repeat until we get info on the first couple shows. I do agree that Axl should communicate somewhat with the crowd. He's too good of a performer to ignore interaction. It's a travesty that other than the trilogy pipe dream comment in Europe 2002 and the 'downloading motherfuckers' comment in 2006, the new songs were never even acknowledged by him.

Metallica whipping out Shortest Straw would have been worth the price of admission alone.

It was quite an awesome performance indeed.  The band performed like they were 20 years old again.

That's Metallica in a nutshell.

If you don't agree, fuck off.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

That's Metallica in a nutshell.

If you don't agree, fuck off.

What?  I didn't bash Metallica.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

What a bunch of has-beens 19

I kid, I kid.... glad it kicked all tons of ass.

I do agree with your stance on GN'R. I loved the shows in 2006 I saw, but I did it twice, and don't really want to see 2006 all over again, jmo. But maybe you can just wait, and see what GN'R does for the first few shows like James mentioned. See what that setlist is, and what happens, then maybe you can grab a ticket to a show and go if you like the setlist. That's what i'd do.

Obviously GN'R is NOT going to sellout. They'll be lucky to get half the venue full. We all know that. You should be able to walk up to the Box Office on the day of, and buy a ticket in the seats if you wanted.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Sounds like another killer metallica show, that set list is very cool too - Death Magnetic heavy - but with a few early thrown in - and the "must haves" for a full tallica experience like "Master of Muppets" for the old shcool and "Enter Sandman" as their biggest hit.

I'd like to see GNR do similar, play a heavy CD setlist - along with Jungle, Pardice City, and a few of the classics one expects.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

What a bunch of has-beens 19

I kid, I kid.... glad it kicked all tons of ass.

I do agree with your stance on GN'R. I loved the shows in 2006 I saw, but I did it twice, and don't really want to see 2006 all over again, jmo. But maybe you can just wait, and see what GN'R does for the first few shows like James mentioned. See what that setlist is, and what happens, then maybe you can grab a ticket to a show and go if you like the setlist. That's what i'd do.

Obviously GN'R is NOT going to sellout. They'll be lucky to get half the venue full. We all know that. You should be able to walk up to the Box Office on the day of, and buy a ticket in the seats if you wanted.

If GNR's show is different than in 06 I will reconsider.  But see seeing Metallica made me think.  The guys in Metallica are veterans now and they are not just going through the motions.  They're mixing it up and they are clearly having fun out there.  And depsite all teh accusations Metallica has received I think they respect and appreciate their fanbase a lot more than Axl.  Plus when they toured together while Metallica were no slouch GNR were the act to see.  And like James said, Axl is way too much of a talented frontman to not communicate with the crowd and iteract with them.  I just realised that while GNR were not horrible in 06, they were not extraordinary like they used to be.  They just went through the motions.  And now that I have a family to care for I need to choose wisely the shows I attend to.  I think my next show could be U2.

Board footer