You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 646 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

James wrote:
Bono wrote:

U2 is doing 12 stadium dates in North America between June 6th and July 19th.  Axl, Azoff and Co. should've begged and pleaded and done everything in their power to get on as the open act for those 12 dates.  Gn'R would play to more people than they could ever dream of playing to on this arena tour in Canada they have scheduled.  Gn'R would be the opening band but they are still a big enough name in North America that had people known they were opening you'd have those stadiums 80 -90% full for the opening band. Pretty sweet scenario for Gn'R. Plus Axl checking the ego at the door and being an opening act would change alot of people's perception of him assuming he could behave and do the 12 dates and not throw tantrums or pull no shows.   This would be the ultimate scenario for this band right now as far as how they're perceived  in North America. Plus it would expose new Gn'R to a shit load of people who other wise have written them off because of no Slash.  Also Axl has sad in the past he was a big U2 fan.  Oh and the lasting impact it might have on Gn'R as a far as their business sense goes could be immeasurable. They could learn alot from U2 on those 12 dates. Sad part is I highly doubt U2 would ever go for it.  They don't need Gn'R and they definately don't need the drama that could possibly come with Axl.

U2 doesn't need anybody, yet it doesn't prevent them from bringing big acts on as openers. U2 is interested in putting on a spectacle. They can do that themselves, but adding a killer opener is part of that experience. Notice how U2 doesn't add stale acts from 20 years ago as openers? No reason to. Only thing it could accomplish is chasing a few ticket buyers away. U2 fans don't have to suffer through acts like Baz, Jani Lane, Martika, or insert other has been. U2 fans get Muse and Black Eyed Peas. Hopefully they get M.I.A. in Oakland. wink 9

I understand using U2 as an example for these situations as its valid, but its apples and oranges. Nobody is at U2's level. It would be like comparing a GNR reunion to a 2/3 Fat Boys reunion.


Madagas, I definitely wasn't referring to seedy clubs on the wrong side of the tracks. 16 Also, your list of venues should definitely be on the U.S. tour.

I hate to say this, but is there a more marketable act that Azoff has going  through Canada soon?

There's a huge list of artists either touring soon or having an album release next year which would obviously coincide with tours.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Come on Buzz, you're not still claiming that the few couple thousand forum members are soley responsible for the 3 million copies sold are you? You can't want to deny them any success that much, do you? No! Surely not!

Never claimed that.  But anyone that thinks 3 million people bought the album is as nuts as the people that think 10 people bought all the copies.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

emcitymisfit wrote:

I just don't see Axl's antics playing too well to the soccer mom and yuppie U2 crowd.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

Bono wrote:
emcitymisfit wrote:

I just don't see Axl's antics playing too well to the soccer mom and yuppie U2 crowd.

Soccer moms and yuppies? Dumbest comment ever! You've obviously never been to a U2 show

James Lofton wrote:

Hopefully they get M.I.A. in Oakland.  9

That's actually pretty realistic and I woudln't be surprised if she did open for U2. You're right though James. Gn'R needs to drop the nostaligia act. They need to bring up and coming GOOD acts on the road with them. Not Skid Row's version of Guns N' Roses.  Gn'R should get some bands like Rev Theory, Airborne, or something like that. Not acts from 20+ years ago who are just happy to be reliving the old days.

2008 Intentions
 Rep: 6 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

Off topic

Is there a member who gonna bottleg some shows?

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

Sky Dog wrote:
Bono wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this.  But if Axl really wanted to go on tour he should've done so as an opening band for a major touring act.

U2 is doing 12 stadium dates in North America between June 6th and July 19th.  Axl, Azoff and Co. should've begged and pleaded and done everything in their power to get on as the open act for those 12 dates.  Gn'R would play to more people than they could ever dream of playing to on this arena tour in Canada they have scheduled.  Gn'R would be the opening band but they are still a big enough name in North America that had people known they were opening you'd have those stadiums 80 -90% full for the opening band. Pretty sweet scenario for Gn'R. Plus Axl checking the ego at the door and being an opening act would change alot of people's perception of him assuming he could behave and do the 12 dates and not throw tantrums or pull no shows.   This would be the ultimate scenario for this band right now as far as how they're perceived  in North America. Plus it would expose new Gn'R to a shit load of people who other wise have written them off because of no Slash.  Also Axl has sad in the past he was a big U2 fan.  Oh and the lasting impact it might have on Gn'R as a far as their business sense goes could be immeasurable. They could learn alot from U2 on those 12 dates. Sad part is I highly doubt U2 would ever go for it.  They don't need Gn'R and they definately don't need the drama that could possibly come with Axl.

good post, but I'm thinking Bono would go for it...just for the sport.:haha: New Gnr could play to a massive audience and display their chops just like when the original band did the LA shows for the Stones in 89. Drama? Yes.....but some great publicity and a chance for the band to truly showcase themselves to an intelligent audience.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

gnfnraxl wrote:

U2 would be a good choice.  Probably the best.  But other big acts could be considered.  But seeing GNR open could bring them new fans.  Also Axl could release more music.  Music we haven't heard yet.  And more importantly let your fans know that you're touring.  But what do I know.  I'm just a fan.

mitchejw
 Rep: 129 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

mitchejw wrote:
Bono wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this.  But if Axl really wanted to go on tour he should've done so as an opening band for a major touring act.

U2 is doing 12 stadium dates in North America between June 6th and July 19th.  Axl, Azoff and Co. should've begged and pleaded and done everything in their power to get on as the open act for those 12 dates.  Gn'R would play to more people than they could ever dream of playing to on this arena tour in Canada they have scheduled.  Gn'R would be the opening band but they are still a big enough name in North America that had people known they were opening you'd have those stadiums 80 -90% full for the opening band. Pretty sweet scenario for Gn'R. Plus Axl checking the ego at the door and being an opening act would change alot of people's perception of him assuming he could behave and do the 12 dates and not throw tantrums or pull no shows.   This would be the ultimate scenario for this band right now as far as how they're perceived  in North America. Plus it would expose new Gn'R to a shit load of people who other wise have written them off because of no Slash.  Also Axl has sad in the past he was a big U2 fan.  Oh and the lasting impact it might have on Gn'R as a far as their business sense goes could be immeasurable. They could learn alot from U2 on those 12 dates. Sad part is I highly doubt U2 would ever go for it.  They don't need Gn'R and they definately don't need the drama that could possibly come with Axl.

You know what? I've had enough of this U2 horn blowing...I went in Chicago...their first date in the US...i wasn't that impressed.

It was expensive as hell...the stage was ridiculously big (btw it ruined soldier field's turf for football)...i felt like it was a lotta hype and mania for a giant stage, and a tour from a band that rarely come here.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

Axlin16 wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this.  But if Axl really wanted to go on tour he should've done so as an opening band for a major touring act.

RAAAGE!

And who really gives a shit about how the shows are selling? I know I don't.

If they aren't that's not my problem nor concern.

It doesn't matter if there are 30 or 30,000 people in the crowd as long as it'll be a good show. Which is indeed what I'm hoping for in the end.

Oh, well...

The point is if only 30 people show up, there will be no show.

Maybe one day you'll understand that lack of interest = reduced dates and cancellations, and the eventual demise of an artist.

Oh, well...

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

Bono wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

You know what? I've had enough of this U2 horn blowing...I went in Chicago...their first date in the US...i wasn't that impressed.

It was expensive as hell...the stage was ridiculously big (btw it ruined soldier field's turf for football)...i felt like it was a lotta hype and mania for a giant stage, and a tour from a band that rarely come here.

Why'd you pay so much? You could've got tickets from anywhere between $35 -$75. the $75 ones being on the floor. Hell they probably have about 20 000 seats per show cheaper than any seats on the Gn'R tour. However much you paid is your own fault. Also U2 comes to Chicago all the time and have done so on every tour since.... well ever.  In fact their Vertigo dvd was filmed in Chicago.  If they wrecked then oh well too bad. Field's are ruined all the time when venues hold concerts. That's what happens when you get 8000 people on the field. What'd ya think was gonna happen. It's not a unique situation to U2.   As for the  stage being ridiculously big well that's the point so that the band can get closer to the fans all around the stadium.  The stage was too big? What like it was too big that the band members looked small?  Whatever.   Here's me Blowing the U2 horn just for you. Axl would be lucky to open for U2 and if you can't see how it'd be a massive positive for Gn'R then that's pretty funny.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB