You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Axl Interview w Korean Newspaper (Unconfirmed)

faldor wrote:

Eddie Trunk was talking about this issue on one of his shows a few months back and he referenced GNR.  He made it seem like it was in GNR's contract where they had control over what was released, as opposed to some other bands where the record labels called the shots.  That's partly the reason Motley Crue has 6 different greatest hits albums (just using them as an example, it's not factual) or Rush releases live DVD's of the same show, remastered.  I believe a Rush fan called in and complained that they were pushing this stuff on the fans.  Eddie mentioned GNR and about their controversial Greatest Hits.

It was awhile back so I don't remember all the details, but from what he was saying I think GNR's record company would release more material if they could, but they need the bands approval.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well GH was basically geffen getting reimbursed for part of the huge advance...and they were found legally within their rights to release it

crue managed recently to get all of their rights transferred back to them...at least Sixx owns them not sure if its a partnership or not with those guys hmm

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Actually Nikki Sixx owns all the master copies, so any GH package is strictly his doing

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

faldor wrote:

Eddie Trunk was talking about this issue on one of his shows a few months back and he referenced GNR.  He made it seem like it was in GNR's contract where they had control over what was released, as opposed to some other bands where the record labels called the shots.  That's partly the reason Motley Crue has 6 different greatest hits albums (just using them as an example, it's not factual) or Rush releases live DVD's of the same show, remastered.  I believe a Rush fan called in and complained that they were pushing this stuff on the fans.  Eddie mentioned GNR and about their controversial Greatest Hits.

It was awhile back so I don't remember all the details, but from what he was saying I think GNR's record company would release more material if they could, but they need the bands approval.

That's interesting. I am very curious as to what is left on that contract. From Axl's reaction after the release and subsequent comments, it would appear he is not happy working with Universal.

I really think if he was independent, Axl would be happier and more prolific.

Sky Dog wrote:

well, he is not independent and he said so in the chats. He dug that hole himself.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl loves money too much to ever go fully independent. He likes advances, and production money, and the butt-powerdering that goes with being a company player.

Plus who would want it? Axl can't keep his ship in it's own lane WITH company help... without it, it'd be an even bigger clusterfuck.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I actually just had a conversation on facebook about Izzy kind of being the Anit-Axl.  Write a song, knock it out, throw it on itunes.  That works great for Izzy's mindset, but it's something Axl could never do. 

I think it takes Axl longer to get ready to take the stage for a show than it takes Izzy to record an album.  Axl's not wired to do things on any timeframe but his own.  I would wager that if it weren't for record company bitching we still wouldn't have Chinese Democracy.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Good to see you back KV. 5 9

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I actually just had a conversation on facebook about Izzy kind of being the Anit-Axl.  Write a song, knock it out, throw it on itunes.  That works great for Izzy's mindset, but it's something Axl could never do. 

I think it takes Axl longer to get ready to take the stage for a show than it takes Izzy to record an album.  Axl's not wired to do things on any timeframe but his own.  I would wager that if it weren't for record company bitching we still wouldn't have Chinese Democracy.

I was listening to CD the other day trying to get in the mood for these shows, and thought that exact same thing.

Except I felt it was the "downloading mother fuckers" that forced the hand. We basically got a leaks album with a few extras, two significants (Sorry & This I Love), and a B-side (Scraped).

If it weren't for the downloaders imho, you wouldn't have the album today.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think we have the album we have today because of the downloaders.  Maybe they affected the timing of the release, but I think it affected the tracklist more than the timing.  The timing happened when the bb deal presented itself.

Board footer