You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Re: SG To Play First Show April 16th at the Showbox

Stepvhen wrote:

lol grunge report crashed must be serious interest in this YES

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

A few young men and women stood holding "name your price" signs, though one guy's limit was $180 because that's all the money he had. Some speculated that a few fans got in by bribing the club'™s bouncers for $2500. A passerby wearing tie-dye said to one person desperate for a ticket, "Good luck in life."

The $180 sign was me!  Not because that's all the money I had though.

And it WORKED.  And I ended up paying less and got on the band list.  Fuckin spin.com needs to get their story straight.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

Good thing this site has a good server.  Google "Soundgarden forums" and this site is the first one that comes up.  9

A GNR site... 16  Yeah... our Admin doesn't love SG or anything.  5

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

Oh, and Waiting on the Sun- THAT is how you do a cover song.  It sounded nothing like the Doors.  Ben put a huge emphasis on the lower parts of the song, combine that with Kim play it almost like a metal song, Matt's drumming, and Cornell screaming his balls off the song sounded demonic.  9

These guys are the definition of professional.  They can go from joking and laughing between songs to being 100% focused in a matter of seconds.  Cornell looked like he was possessed on stage while singing.  In between singing he was smiling the entire time. 

Ben smiled as well.  I think we know that's a good sing.  He's showing his age more than the rest of them though.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Saikin wrote:

The $180 sign was me!  Not because that's all the money I had though.

That's cool that you got in the article, and thousands of fans were seeing your updates on grunge report. That sign should have said 'GNRevolution.com representative'. 16

Saikin wrote:

Good thing this site has a good server.  Google "Soundgarden forums" and this site is the first one that comes up.  9

A GNR site... 16  Yeah... our Admin doesn't love SG or anything.  5

Yeah google has a love/hate affair with this site. Sometimes it will only come up when its GNR related(and even then sometimes not at all), and other times it will show up higher on off topic subjects than sites dedicated to that band/artist/subject. 16 When you see random off topic threads here having thousands of views, its people clicking it through google.

This site comes up on page two of an 'M.I.A. forum' search.

Also, the most downloads on this site's 4shared account are non GNR tracks.

I guess nut and clit swinging does pay off. 16

Stepvhen wrote:

The tickets sold out in minutes, and a few peeps at Metal Sludge going to record stores today(its 'National Record Store Day' here) have said the Soundgarden reissue sold out immediately.

There is definitely interest in this reunion. It only feels small because it had been low key up until this point.

Saikin wrote:

Oh, and Waiting on the Sun- THAT is how you do a cover song.  It sounded nothing like the Doors.  Ben put a huge emphasis on the lower parts of the song, combine that with Kim play it almost like a metal song, Matt's drumming, and Cornell screaming his balls off the song sounded demonic.  9

These guys are the definition of professional.  They can go from joking and laughing between songs to being 100% focused in a matter of seconds.  Cornell looked like he was possessed on stage while singing.  In between singing he was smiling the entire time. 

Ben smiled as well.  I think we know that's a good sing.  He's showing his age more than the rest of them though.

All of their covers are great. Come Together is interesting because instead of the bass dominating the song, Thayil owns the song. If you don't have it already, should grab it in the download section.

That medley that includes Helter Skelter(its live though) is awesome as well. Its only a few verses, but they change the dynamic of the song completely.

Did Ben and Chris interact on stage together at any point? They had a rocky relationship in the past and that's putting it mildly.

Glad he's enjoying it though, and thought it was cool in that Thayil interview last year how he said Ben wanted to play those old songs.

I'm just glad they set the precedent immediately that they are willing to use half the set concentrating on deep album cuts. It gives us hope of hearing Overfloater eventually.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

Ben and Cornell did not interact.  It was mostly Cornell/Thayil and Matt/Ben as far as the interaction goes.  Hopefully that's enough to keep this thing afloat. 

I LOVED the fact that they didn't play Black Hole Sun.  They chose Spoonman and Fell on Black Days.  Spoonman is a perfect song to do live, and Fell on Black Days is just an awesome song.

I also loved how they picked Blow Up the Outside World and Pretty Noose. 

The rest was older stuff.  It shows that this isn't a cash grab since they played 2 songs off of their most popular and best selling album, and didn't even play their biggest hit.  THIS is the way reunions should be done.  People need to learn from this band.

My theory is that Cornell is tired of playing the hits.  He played the hits with Audioslave, and on all his solo shows.  So now since he's back to Soundgarden they can start diving deeper.  9

I wish I had kept that sign.  16

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=138678

It looks like my audio review of the show has made it onto Blabbermouth. 

Grungereport.net gets mentioned twice because of me.  16

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

congrats at getting into the gig saikin 5

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

James is going to LOVE this one. 

I talked to Hiro, who was in attendance.  That's not the good part- I DIDN'T KNOW WHO THE FUCK HE WAS until someone told me that today.  So I'm bullshitting with this guy about how excited I am to see these guys live finally,  we're up in the bar having drinks, and I had no idea he used to be IN the band. 

Oops..

Sky Dog wrote:
Saikin wrote:

I just got home, the show was fucking incredible.  I didn't actually get tix, I made it on the band's guest list some how.  I still can't believe that just fucking happened. 

Seriously, Beyond the Wheel.  The crowd was in a collective state of shock and awe when Cornell nailed it perfectly.  And it was hilarious, because he just looked at all of us with our dumbstruck looks and smiled and continued to scream.

The band was tight as hell.  It seemed as if they hadn't even missed a day.  And Cornell... WOW.  A 40-something should not be able to do that. 

His voice also seems a lot cleaner than his recent solo material.  It sounds a lot more like Soundgarden-Cornell again. 

Ben is the greatest bass player to ever walk the face of this planet.  Period.  And the way he acts on stage... I have to wonder what that guy is on.  He goes from acting like a robot, to twirling, to standing entirely still for Blow Up the Outside World, to pretending he is shooting the audience with his bass, to acting like Frankenstein... the guy is nuts. 

And James, the dynamic in the band seemed to be a very positive one.  Cornell and Kim were laughing the whole night and hugged once.  Ben and Matt were joking around and Kim kept giving Ben crazy looks. 

A lot of audience interaction too.  And a lot of thanking the fans for all the positive feedback for the reunion. 

I've never seen a crowd go as nuts as when they started playing Spoonman.  For me it was a huge relief as I've been frustrated all day trying to get in and waited 2 and a half hours outside of the Showbox waiting to get tix. 

Only 3 people got in that didn't have tickets.  I am very lucky to be one of those three.  Words cannot describe what just happened tonight.  I'm still in shock.  So after I sleep on it and the reality of what just happened sinks in I will post more.

The setlist was amazing.  I was glad they didn't play Black Hole Sun.  Though I would have liked to hear more from Superunknown and Down on the Upside...  Can't bitch though, I saw Soundgarden's first show in 14 years.  9

congrats.:beer:

Board footer