You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: The 2010-11 NFL Season Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

I still definitely feel MLB is the best of the professional sports.

I still watch the Cubs nightly, and have for 20+ years. Ain't gonna stop now.

NFL is one of those that I used to be more into as a kid. I lived the Dolphins during the last 1/3 of the Shula/Marino era. Both of them left within a few years of each other, and it just hasn't been the same since for me. I still tune in as much as I can, but it's more ritualistic than anything.

NBA & NHL are strictly Finals & Stanley Cup for me.

I don't watch ANY college sports except for NCAA Baseball.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Bret Favre retired again.

Jay Glazer says the Viking owners are making a huge push, including giving him... Basically everything and anything he's ever wanted. I don't think money is going to win him over, but he said they're offering him more time. I don't really know what that means, other than giving him time to think about it.

Glazer also says he doesn't believe Favre won't play this season.

Funniest thing I read? "While pacing back and forth mulling over his decision, Favre inadvertently finishes Redskins conditioning test before Albert Haynesworth 16

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Rumours of Brett Favre's retirement may have been greatly exaggerated.

According to ESPN, Favre has denied sending any text messages to Minnesota Vikings personnel about retiring and says he will play if he is healthy.

In May, the veteran quarterback confirmed he had a procedure to remove scar tissue and bone spurs from his injured left ankle and there was speculation that he would not play if the injury did not heal in time.

Favre told ESPN's Ed Werder that he has yet to make a decision on whether to play in the upcoming season.

Favre has already retired twice -- after the 2007 season with Green Bay and following the 2008 campaign with the Jets. Last summer, Favre underwent surgery for a partially torn biceps tendon, then decided to come back in mid-August and play for Minnesota.

----------------------------------------

17 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'll never understand how there's never been a massive backlash to his retirement crap. The media feeds off of it instead. It should be a huge black spot on his career. He puts his teams in a compromising position every single year.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

Favre is not free of blame in all of this but there is no doubt that the majority of this is media driven.

Favre supposedly sends a text to a teammate, visanthe shianco, saying "this is it" and before you know it you have retirement claims, favre demanding more money claims, etc.

to me "this is it" between 2 players at the beginning of training camp sounds more like a motivating sentiment than a retirement speech but it could mean just about anything and who announces their retirement in such fashion.

Favre also responded in less then 24 hours, denying the text and that he is retiring.

Based on how well Favre has played the last three years in contrast to the packers wanting to go with Rodgers and the subsequent surgeries favre has needed in order to play I can understand Favre's difficulties in making the decision to play or retire on each occasion.

the last 2 offseasons in a row, however, he has been pretty consistent and upfront, after receiving the surgeries, that he will play if and when he knows he is going to be healthy.

yet when reports come out in a couple of weeks that a doctor has looked at favre's ankle and cleared favre to play, the headlines will read "favre unretires again".

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yeah the sports team insiders need to be shot and pissed on

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

ESPN is partially to blame here as they always speculate on Favre and his retirement plans.  Yeah, it doesn't help that Favre is a media whore but still they make a big deal out of this for the last four or five years.

He'll play this year because the Vikings just offered a salary increase, gave him time to make his decison (aka skip training camp) and he only had minor ankle surgery.  If they were really scared about Favre retiring the Vikings would have looked closely into acquiring another qb.  I think Favre realizes that this is one of the last chances he has to reach the Super Bowl and he'll play this year.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Bad news in Patriot land today, as Ty Warren was put on IR and is out for the year.  Here's what Tedy Bruschi had to say about the loss.

Tedy Bruschi on NFL Live: "There couldn't be a bigger loss than Ty Warren along that defensive front 7. He is a linebacker's best friend and who suffers a bigger loss (with Warren out) is linebacker Jerod Mayo."

Warren is a pro bowl caliber DE who doesn't get the notoriety that he deserves.  Apparently he's been dealing with this injury for a few years now and made the decision to take care of it now so he can get back to full health AFTER this season.  Fortunately the Patriots did make a couple moves in the off-season to soften the blow of this loss by signing former 1st rounders Damione Lewis and Gerard Warren.  So while it's not necessarily a catastrophic injury (ala Tom Brady), it certainly doesn't help matters with a young defense who's trying to grow and improve by leaps and bounds.

On the positive news front.  Derrick Burgess reported today and is back in the fold.  Not that he was anything spectacular last year, but he's a warm body with experience and Belichick likes what he does.  As for the first pre-season game for the Pats last night.  Special teams looked real good.  1st round pick Devin McCourty had a couple big returns to give them great field position.  Of course, they did give up a 97 yard kickoff return for a TD so special teams coverage on both sides wasn't too solid.  The Patriots got some good work out of their receivers as well.  Edelman was great, it's amazing how much he plays like Wes Welker, even though he doesn't like the comparisons.  It's inevitable.  Moss had a few good catches, and Brandon Tate had a nice one as well.  Tate has gotten glowing reports out of camp so far, so that was good to see, as has rookie Taylor Price though he didn't play much last night.  They used their TE's a lot last night to get the running game going, which was mildly effective.  They still have a slew of "good" RB's, but none of them are great.  So once again I think this will be a pass heavy team going with lots of 4 and 5 wide sets.  Although I'd love for them to at least TRY to commit to a running game. 

This Patriots team is so unpredictable this year.  If things go badly they could go 7-9.  If things progress nicely they could go 12-4.  I think they'll probably end up somewhere in between but to be a serious contender they're going to have to get pressure on the QB to help out their young secondary.  They've gotten younger and quicker all over their defense with 24 draft picks in the last 2 years but they still lack a true big time pass rusher.  They were awful at getting to the QB last year and they really haven't done all that much to improve that area this year.  So some of the young guys and unheralded scrap heap guys are going to have to step it up.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Good news for Patriot fans: The Bills hired Chan Gailey as head coach, they still have the same offensive line from last year, and The Dolphins QB is really, really good not throwing at moving targets. 16

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I think (hope) the Jets could be in for a tough season.  They really had zero pressure or expectations on them going into last year and they had a great season.  They made a bunch of high profile moves in the off-season and are a lot of peoples pick to win the AFC East, if not as a Super Bowl favorite.

But you've got the coach saying they'll win it all, the whole Revis situation, the Hard Knocks crew in camp.  Lots of action going on their, the spotlight is shining bright.  Can they handle it?  I hope not.

I think the Dolphins will be quite good, as long as Henne continues to progress.

Board footer