You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Scott Says GNR Were Supposed to tour in 2008

Saikin wrote:

Today, Weiland is tactful and reticent in discussing the acrimonious '“ and very public '“ fallout. 'I look back on it fondly and it'™s a shame that it ended the way it did,'  he recalls. 'STP wasn'™t meant to get in the way of another Velvet Revolver record. Slash and I were always straight with each other, and if it looked like there was going to be a reunion with Guns N'™ Roses to do festivals that summer, it wouldn'™t have bothered me. I always thought that would have been a good idea.'

http://grungereport.net/2010/05/11/scot … le-pilots/

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

"if"

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

He's stated something similar before. You know what, it would explain why Axl is still so sour about the whole thing. If they've been discussing a reunion and it fizzled out 'cause of Slash's demands or requirements that might have torn open some old wounds with Axl.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

This looks to me like he was just saying he wanted to do STP but that didn't mean VR had to end, and that he would have been cool with a temporary GNR reunion also.

I don't think he's actually saying it was going to happen. Although I'm pretty sure he's eluded to it in the past and that the rest of the GNR boys maintain he was paranoid about it and it wasn't going to happen.

The mole's theory above is interesting though. Like slash would probably demand guarentee of no-cancels and no-late starts (baised on what he says in the book) and I could see that being an issue.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, he in no way said GNR were supposed to play together again. Not even close.

Sky Dog wrote:

Scott and you guys are a bit confused. The Gnr reunion rumors were for Download and Euro festivals in 2006! Scott is not really pinpointing 2008 when he says that summer.

Sky Dog wrote:

"I have to write some copy this weekend on Guns 'N Roses for a feature to go with my photos. [...] If you tell the truth it sets off too many wars, or egos way out of control. The original line-up is supposed to play Download in June with their metal chums, Metallica, if Lars can be bothered to turn up." (Ross Halfin, 02/04/06)

"[The GNR reunion] almost happened. The pens were ready to sign. With the 'Greatest Hits', there was a possibility [of a reunion], but there was too much stuff being said. But it was a close call." (Scott Weiland, Classic Rock, 04/08)

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I realize he said 'if', but madagas's quotes above lead into this one as well. 

The full interview pinpoints this down to 2008.  It seems Slash, Duff and Matt knew about STP reuniting as well.

As for Axl being tired of the reunion talk, it's not going to change.  Here's an interview with Eric Kretz (STP's drummer) about how every conversation he had with other musicians even always led to "when are STP getting back together?"

Reunion rumors can be tedious. Scratch that. They'™re a bitch. Jimmy Page wants more. John Paul Jones isn'™t averse. Robert Plant would rather chop-stick his eyes out, and probably will if people keep asking. And that'™s the key, isn'™t it? Keep asking.

The Police caved. Pixies caved. Pavement caved. Two versions of Black Sabbath have roamed the past decade. No Doubt, Simon & Garfunkel . . . the list is long and accordingly undistinguished. You set '˜em up, the public checks them off.

According to Kretz, he welcomed the time apart. Couldn'™t have come at a better time. 'That'™s when I started building my recording studio,'  he says from Los Angeles. 'Pretty much right away. It'™s something I'™d always wanted to do. Just found a building to do it in. Here'™s the opportunity, just jump in there to work on different bands and different projects. One of the things I was doing was music supervising for '˜The Henry Rollins Show,'™ which was great. We had Damian Marley, Slayer, Thom Yorke, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Ryan Adams, Iggy Pop '” so many great bands came through my studio and it was fun being on the creative side of a TV show.'

But it'™s a funny thing about people: They'™re the worst. It wasn'™t long before Kretz was seeing through peoples'™ phony smiles to read them mouthing, 'So, when'™s STP getting back together?'

Sky Dog wrote:

Like Floyd and Zep, I don't ever see Gnr doing it. Maybe a one off where they play SCOM, WTTJ, and PC in a charity setting or something like a RRHOF induction.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Duff said Scott was full of shit on those GN'R reunion talks.

I think we all can universally agree that if Duff or Izzy says it, it's the gospel.

Board footer